NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-21-2014, 07:39 PM

Last edited by CW; 10-06-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:40 PM
Greg Mitchell

One more thing--the wider and brighter white header really takes away from the black mat look. I wouldn't be surprised if these look WORSE, not better in person.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:45 PM
Robert

I have emailed them at SGC. I'm sure they will evaluate their decision, especially if it effects business. I agree with buying the card but the holder and the old style flip was great. From the gaskets, customer service, turn around times and consistency, SGC stood strong. This new flip could change course of the "ship"..... I can hear my Garmin saying re-calculating on this decision
Successful Transactions with: cammb, jim, sean1125,bobbyw8469, vintagetoppsguy, mintacular, rube26105, irishdenny, brick, Robextend,dboneesq, northviewcats, wdwfan, Dhogan, quitcrab, eliminator, Harliduck, tonyo, fetamore, hcv123, Bocabirdman, Casey2296,Aplyon86 Futbowl, pwang100, GoCubsGo32, Sidepocket, jcarroll84, DanP, YazFenway08, 4reals, sflayank, frazier and many others
Old 05-21-2014, 07:46 PM
Pau.l C

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
Although I do buy the card and not the flip, I'm not a big fan of the new SGC design. I don't even care about uniformity, but the new flips look way too generic and low budget.

As mentioned already, they should've come up with 3 or 4 new designs and posted them for voting on their new site. It might've generated a little bit of (positive) hobby buzz and it would've prevented them from making the wrong choice.
I agree completely -

The more I look on the new webpage the more I see Pre-WWII cards in the holders with a green outline label like the "old" ones. Maybe this is not current.
I'm confused, a little more than usual
sgc holder.jpg
Old 05-21-2014, 07:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW1 View Post
Not liking the new labels at all...have to agree with the other 99% of collectors here. They look like something that was designed and printed quickly, without much thought given to proper aesthetics or the value of brand-name recognition. SGC really should have gotten more customer feedback before going forward with this.
You have to wonder, whose idea was this, and who approved it and why? Maybe someone thought the simple look was cool, I don't know. But as has been said they look so much like the flips of the joke grading services.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:50 PM
pete ullman

those flips suck!
Old 05-21-2014, 08:13 PM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

I was going to go with the more politically correct "the new flips look amateurish," but I'll echo what Pete said.

If they had a consultant design that for them...hmmmmmmm.

Last edited by kkkkandp; 05-21-2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:26 PM
Tony N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkandp View Post

If they had a consultant design that for them...hmmmmmmm.
Maybe the consultant was blind?

Tony
Old 05-21-2014, 08:29 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
I have emailed them at SGC. I'm sure they will evaluate their decision, especially if it effects business. I agree with buying the card but the holder and the old style flip was great. From the gaskets, customer service, turn around times and consistency, SGC stood strong. This new flip could change course of the "ship"..... I can hear my Garmin saying re-calculating on this decision
Great Robert...be sure to refer them to this thread in case they want to verify.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:32 PM
Robert

Dan I'm tracking. I let Earl and Sean know via email. Will follow up with phone call tomorrow as we'll.
Successful Transactions with: cammb, jim, sean1125,bobbyw8469, vintagetoppsguy, mintacular, rube26105, irishdenny, brick, Robextend,dboneesq, northviewcats, wdwfan, Dhogan, quitcrab, eliminator, Harliduck, tonyo, fetamore, hcv123, Bocabirdman, Casey2296,Aplyon86 Futbowl, pwang100, GoCubsGo32, Sidepocket, jcarroll84, DanP, YazFenway08, 4reals, sflayank, frazier and many others
Old 05-21-2014, 08:32 PM
J1m Ch@pman

I am still pulling up the old site with the old holder. Could someone post a picture of the new holder?
Old 05-21-2014, 08:34 PM
Robert

Jim I think someone posted a pic earlier in this thread. I will check back to see
Old 05-21-2014, 08:34 PM
Hank

I am sending in cards this week to SGC...I will post if I get the new flip. I am not a fan from what I can see online, but would also like to see in person before passing judgement. Overall, great company and service and my personal preference for grading services.

Hank
Old 05-21-2014, 08:36 PM
Derek Granger

Default SGC flips

I sure hope the new flips resemble the old...although I don't have any registered sets, I have been slowly gravitating to all SGC holders. If they change the flip, I will flip!!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 05-21-2014, 08:38 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default I've been using only SGC

for a long time for my graded sets. HATE the new flip - and that's not even taking into account my OCD and other alpha's. I'm nearly complete with a few sets and need the uniformity. I have a few cards they mistakenly holdered in their larger holders without telling me they were changing them - I've been waiting to submit them to be re-holdered since the national - and now I'll have to have a different style flip instead - still not a solution for me. Poor decision by SGC as the difference is so stark between old and new labels and the new flip as said gives the appearance of being cheaply made. I'm surprised the company wouldn't have solicited opinions, vetted, or at least assessed the reception to the changes from their user base before going live.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:38 PM
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Jim View Post
I am still pulling up the old site with the old holder. Could someone post a picture of the new holder?

Very odd, I'm pulling up the old site now too..... Didn't find a pic of the new flip back in the posts.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:40 PM
m!ke kn@z@v!c

Check post #8
Old 05-21-2014, 08:42 PM
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan View Post
Check post #8
Roger got it, wasn't showing up on my iPhone, switched back to laptop
Old 05-21-2014, 08:42 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Looks like something I could make at home on my printer. Why??!!
Whoops, thought the images would come with.

Last edited by Gobucsmagic74; 05-21-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:45 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregMitch34 View Post
One more thing--the wider and brighter white header really takes away from the black mat look. I wouldn't be surprised if these look WORSE, not better in person.

I was thinking the same thing. PSA was smart to keep their label relatively uniform from the beginning. It helped build their brand. This change screams of New Coke.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:40 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
Greg I hope you are right. I liked the old flip quite a bit. Kinda had a museum quality to it in my opinion.
Totally agree with this
Old 05-21-2014, 09:49 PM
Je.rry Spillm@n

Amateurish flips - should never have considered making this change at all.

The Simpleauctionsite.com setup pop report is incomprehensible.

Very poor management decisions.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:54 PM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Those flips are horribly designed. They look terrible. When people get stuff graded/auth. for their collection or resale...they want it to be professional looking as well. These design comes off very amateur and not professional.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:54 PM
Bill Gregory

I sent Earl Johnson, the director of customer service, an e-mail linking to this discussion. I told him that I was about to put together an order to get about 10 vintage and pre-war cards graded, and then another order to crossover the T202 and T206 cards that were PSA graded. If what we're seeing here is indicative of the new flip, then I will not be using SGC for my collection. It's really too bad, as I love the way cards look in the SGC slab. The black gasket and the current (soon to be old) flip look very sharp. and everything I've read about their services have been top notch.

If you guys want to make your voices heard, please speak up.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:56 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

I was just starting to warm up to graded cards, and chose SGC as my flip and company of choice based on the look and security of the holder. I have even started a few player ad set registrations for the fun of it. The whole point of graded cards for me is the uniformity of the flips...I love it, and love SGC. The new ones look cheap and older...like the new style predated the old.

If they keep these, I am out. Again, I want uniformity. I agree with the person who said at least when PSA changes they still look uniform. These are awful, no way will I buy one. Maybe they can offer the old style for those who prefer it? If not...back to raw for me. Gotta have uniformity.

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03

Last edited by Harliduck; 05-21-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:39 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Default New SGC Look?

Their secure address is forwarding to another simple auction site, email sent.

https://www.sgccard.com

Last edited by atx840; 05-21-2014 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:05 PM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1880nonsports View Post
for a long time for my graded sets. HATE the new flip - and that's not even taking into account my OCD and other alpha's. I'm nearly complete with a few sets and need the uniformity. I have a few cards they mistakenly holdered in their larger holders without telling me they were changing them - I've been waiting to submit them to be re-holdered since the national - and now I'll have to have a different style flip instead - still not a solution for me. Poor decision by SGC as the difference is so stark between old and new labels and the new flip as said gives the appearance of being cheaply made. I'm surprised the company wouldn't have solicited opinions, vetted, or at least assessed the reception to the changes from their user base before going live.
Agree completely. I have heard people complain about cards sliding out of gaskets and also issues with oversized holders but not a single complaint about the old flip. Who the hell did the the research and development for this? A simple poll on this forum or thier own message board would tell them what consumers want from a new holder.

I have always used SGC and it is quite frankly disappointing if this really is the new flip. It is just hard to imagine that the pros of the change outweigh the cons of not changing it.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:46 AM
Sebastian

SGC has always been top notch to deal with and customer service is great. That being said this was poorly executed, I dont appreciate just having this sprung on me, I should have sent more cards last time. They wont be going anywhere for now.
The main problems was with the gaskets, I understand adding a water mark, but removing the green border was a big mistake, I hope this isnt their final decision.

Last edited by sebie43; 05-22-2014 at 03:48 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:05 AM
Christopher Herman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
That is exactly what I was thinking. They look like they were produced by one of the generic "companies" that only slab fake material.
+1

My needs lists:
W514 strip cards
W515-2 strip cards
Old 05-22-2014, 04:27 AM
Barry Sloate

Many companies will test market a product and study the consumer feedback before releasing it into the marketplace. I hope SGC uses this thread as their test audience and proceeds accordingly. Obviously, with near universal dislike of this label- count me among those who think it looks awful- hopefully they will reconsider the change.

Last edited by barrysloate; 05-22-2014 at 04:29 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:34 AM
Glyn Parson

Default i did not like the old labels at all

but i somehow like the new ones even less. Still believe Scott is probably the best grader currently working as a grader in the hobby.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:09 AM
Jesse

I myself am not a fan of SGC grading. I prefer everything PSA. I know everyone has there opinion on whats better well what SGC is doing in my opinion looks absolutely horrible. If your a guy like me I like everything looking the same in my set and now to change the flip is a killer. I would probably pass on a card because of the flip change.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:56 AM
J@son Du.nc@n

The old flips were bad......these are really bad. Put some time into making attractive flips to go with the best holders. This could be costly for I am holding off on further submissions until they change it. IMO they now look like another cheap "fly-by-night" homemade grading service. I understand the clean and simple look, but the flips suck, especially the red cheap looking "authentic" font. Beckett has the most attractive holders in the industry. It is too bad 1 company has best holder, another one has best service, and the biggest one has only the population. Hopefully SGC will take notice and change this while they can.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:59 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default The Flip Stampede

I'm sitting here in amazement at the irony of this thread and others.

Members chime in unison about the poor quality of the holders (any TPG) and rail on about fraudulent cards being placed in cracked holders and resold, holders (or gaskets) that don't hold the cards, or holders that are too thick or too thin.

Then the members in unison get all bent out of shape and chime in about a change in flips, whose sole purpose is to identify the card, certify its authenticity and assign an opinion regarding its condition.

And then when it comes to the cards themselves, members generally agree in unison and chime in with the Net54 mantra "Buy the card and not the holder".
If the holder and the flip are so (expletive deleted) important, more so than the card itself, isn't the mantra a bit hypocritical?

Furthermore these threads tend to promote behavior seen in conga lines with someone expressing their "personal" opinion (regarding the flip for example) and then the entire symphony orchestra feels compelled to respond in harmony usually.

Change is inevitable. Some will resist. Others will adapt. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but following a leader in lockstep didn't work in Jonestown for the Koolaid drinkers.

Be independent, my friends, and don't get swept away by the wave of a Net54 thread. Maybe everyone should design a flip they would be happy with and post it. Do you think we would agree on which one is the best? I respectfully think not.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 05-22-2014 at 07:12 PM. Reason: The lemmings have left the building.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:03 AM
pete ullman

So Frank my friend...where do u stand on the "who said there are no good deals to be found on ebay"...thread?

Last edited by ullmandds; 05-22-2014 at 06:04 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:10 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Those new flips are GAI.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-22-2014, 06:46 AM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Those new flips are GAI.
Sadly, I think they are worse than GAI.

Who was the dealer who used to make up his own labels to justify his grades - David Festberg?
Old 05-22-2014, 06:57 AM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

I remember similar chatter when the last flips were introduced. Bolder green border - how dare they? Adding the website address, removing the gold foil on the back etc. Change is always hard. I guess I wish they had asked the customers first - or had a poll, contest etc. Maybe even give customers the preference to use the 'old flip' for their sets etc. Maybe provide a 5 year grace period for that.

I'll wait until I see one in person before deciding. One feature I wish they (and others) would incorporate is the Q-Code (on the back). Those square bar code things. Easy to scan/verify into registries or looking up at shows.

I'll still support SGC and wish them the best.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:06 AM
Alex

Jon - The Q Code is a great idea and something I would not have thought of.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 05-22-2014, 07:15 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Let me start by saying that I am not concerned about things matching. I have cards in the same run/set that are graded by PSA, SGC, BVG and raw. The holder doesn't have to be uniform for me.

That said. I really don't have a problem with the new flip. I like that it has a simple look without a color border. I know I am in the minority and that may be because of my original statement about not needing uniformity in my holders.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:15 AM
John Hanssen

Must agree that change is not always taken will at first.

Happens all the time in coin collecting.

Give it time and don't be to harsh in judgement. A font, boarder and color change, to a slab flap, does not mean the company's quality and customer service has changed.

I don't thing that graphically the flap is as good as what they had.

But it's not a deal breaker for me also.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:16 AM
pete ullman

I would hope that if SGC were changing their flip it would be more of an evolutionary change...maintaining the attributes that we have all come to know and love over the years.

I know an excellent graphic designer who would be able to help with this if interested...651-226-6211...call me!
Old 05-22-2014, 07:16 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1216 View Post

I remember similar chatter when the last flips were introduced. Bolder green border - how dare they? Adding the website address, removing the gold foil on the back etc. Change is always hard. I guess I wish they had asked the customers first - or had a poll, contest etc. Maybe even give customers the preference to use the 'old flip' for their sets etc. Maybe provide a 5 year grace period for that.

I'll wait until I see one in person before deciding. One feature I wish they (and others) would incorporate is the Q-Code (on the back). Those square bar code things. Easy to scan/verify into registries or looking up at shows.

I'll still support SGC and wish them the best.
Nice post. Before anyone jumps off of the closest skyscraper I will be posting a scan of the new flip in the next hour or so. It is a fair amount different looking than what is posted on their website. It does have some green, no it isn't the same as the old one, but it looks a lot better to me than the one posted. Once SGC says it's ok I will post. It will be very soon.....

Last edited by Leon; 05-22-2014 at 11:30 AM. Reason: changed statement...
Old 05-22-2014, 07:17 AM
J@son Du.nc@n

Those new flips are GAI.

Actually the new GAI flips were attractive......their holders and ability to grade was what was bad.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:19 AM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Nice post. Before anyone jumps off of the closest skyscraper I will be posting a scan of the new flip in the next hour or so. It is a fair amount different looking than what is posted on their website. No, it doesn't have green and no it isn't the same as the old one, but it looks a lot better to me than the one posted. Once SGC says it's ok I will post. It will be very soon.....

Thank goodness you posted this. I was on my way to a skyscraper to jump.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 05-22-2014, 07:34 AM
Derek Granger

Serious work needs to be done to fix the population report. Searching by player name is easy and straightforward. If I search for an obscure set and type in everything exactly as listed (even using a listing under a player to verify how they would like the set to be identified), it comes up shooting blanks.

I liked how, in the past, I could simply type in 1921 and it would pull up the 20 or so sets from that date. This should be a fairly easy fix (although I am not an IT expert). I'm surprised no one noticed this during a test run w/ the new site before releasing to the public.

I'm looking forward to seeing a good scan of the new flip, Leon.

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 05-22-2014, 07:48 AM
Chris

To SGC: Try this, "You'll Flip over our new Flips!" That should do it.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:53 AM
Jason S!m@nds

This will hurt the resale value of SGC cards.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:56 AM
Chris

No doubt about it - this is a gamechanger. I may stop collecting cards altogether.*
Old 05-22-2014, 07:59 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernamealreadytaken View Post
No doubt about it - this is a gamechanger. I may stop collecting cards altogether.*

I'm quitting the hobby because of it

BBL

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors