NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-15-2018, 07:19 AM
Jim Schneider

Default Garbage from Ohio

This seller has used different Ebay names over the years and has been turning out garbage like this for years. Check out his other items for sale too, all fake.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123247049279?rmvSB=true
Old 07-15-2018, 09:39 AM

Hi, Jim,
I don't have too many RPPCs so am not an expert. But every now and then I buy one, so I am curious how you deduced that this was a fake? Was it poor focus/blurriness of the photo?
Thanks!
Brian
Old 07-16-2018, 07:34 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmonster View Post
This seller has used different Ebay names over the years and has been turning out garbage like this for years. Check out his other items for sale too, all fake.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123247049279?rmvSB=true
https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/123247049...2047675.l10137

Someone is going to be happy until they find out it's a reproduction. For the record, postcards like this would have never been this "grainy" looking. Clearly a reproduction.

This is a modern reprint too but not quite as real looking as the other...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-York-Ya....c100011.m1850

Last edited by Leon; 07-16-2018 at 09:02 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:42 AM
Jim Schneider

Hi Brian..As Leon mentioned the grainy appearance is a give away. Also the design of the back of the postcard can be helpful, postcard backs are pretty well documented as to what era certain backs designs were used. But with this card the front design is over the top with Yankees Stadium, a head shot of Ruth and the Yankee insignia, it's a fantasy piece.

In 2003 I was publishing The Ballpark Postcard Newsletter when I first ran into this seller on ebay. He was selling these fantasy pieces then, postcards and advertising items. At that time he was using at least 3 different ebay accounts. In some cases he was getting hundreds of dollars an item for some of the material. I wrote an article at that time warning collectors about his scam. I was surprised to run into him again 15 years later still pushing junk.

Here's one of the cards from 2003 he sold for over $100.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Hi, Jim,
I don't have too many RPPCs so am not an expert. But every now and then I buy one, so I am curious how you deduced that this was a fake? Was it poor focus/blurriness of the photo?
Thanks!
Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruth pepsi.jpg (19.0 KB, 455 views)
Old 07-16-2018, 07:50 PM

Thanks!
I know about some of the postcard backs. I had found this useful site:

https://www.playle.com/realphoto/

However, it does not have a complete list of all backs.

Do you guys know of a more comprehensive site with types/dating of backs?

Brian
Old 07-16-2018, 08:32 PM
Dan Bretta

I got suckered by this seller about six months ago. I knew immediately when I opened the package that the postcard was fake. I contacted him and he immediately refunded me without replying to me. He also blocked me. Of course I would never bid with him again.

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 07-16-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:09 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I got suckered by this seller about six months ago. I knew immediately when I opened the package that the postcard was fake. I contacted him and he immediately refunded me without replying to me. He also blocked me. Of course I would never bid with him again.
Dan,

When you are blocked can you still contact the seller? If so, I would have thanked him for blocking me so I wouldn't worry about forgetting to NOT bid/buy his stuff in the future.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:47 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
He blocked you for wanting a refund on a fake card? That's hardcore.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:09 PM
Manny
Banned

Using "RPPC" (or other high click-through keyword) in the title and then being as intentionally ambiguous as possible in the description is all too common on eBay. Likely so they can claim that no representations were made in the description (quite literally, the description box is entirely blank, and only says "good condition"). Seller is just fishing for the gullible people who don't know what a real RPPC looks like, hoping it's just deceptive enough that only a small amount of people ask for a return. Numbers game I guess.

It's a shame the seller has chosen this route, because they could probably still make decent money by selling them as reprints.

Last edited by SetBuilder; 07-17-2018 at 08:10 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-17-2018, 10:38 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
Dan,

When you are blocked can you still contact the seller? If so, I would have thanked him for blocking me so I wouldn't worry about forgetting to NOT bid/buy his stuff in the future.
I tried to contact him after the refund to tell him about other items I found in his listings that were fake, but I could not contact him via one of his other listings. It did allow me to contact him through the one item I bought and was refunded on.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:41 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
He blocked you for wanting a refund on a fake card? That's hardcore.
I would guess this is how he operates with everyone. Nearly all of his items are fraudulent so he just refunds the people who complain and blocks them so he won't have to deal with them again.