NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-08-2017, 01:23 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Anyway, my previous post gave a quick background of White's story. I urge people to check out the profile ESPN did of her last year. It is hard to watch without tearing up a little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvGlvkH2d-8

Here is White's racing Twitter account: The description she uses on her racing Twitter account is "Saved by the Grace of God, Donnie Ray Crawford and Shriners Hospital Galveston, Texas." She still does lots of speaking engagements on behalf of the Shriners and burn units.

https://twitter.com/harliwhiteracin?...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Here is her other Twitter account, which she also uses to talk about racing:

https://twitter.com/Harli17w

Check out the pictures of what White's back and legs still look like after being burned so badly as a 12-year-old. Warning: the pictures are shocking.

https://jamespratt.photoshelter.com/...00YxoH3YO5sBU/

Here is the Facebook page for her racing team. She has more pictures on her page, and is taking a rare weekend off from racing this weekend to tell her story at a pair of church services.

https://www.facebook.com/harliwhiteracing/

Last edited by Bored5000; 09-08-2017 at 02:31 AM.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:53 AM

There is also another one on eBay right now...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152679867851

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
I didn't want to out the auction while it was still in progress, but an A.J. Foyt Marhoefer card sold on eBay for $255 last night. Like I wrote earlier in the thread, i had never seen a Foyt Marhoefer card up for auction other than in a compete set in about six years of looking prior to one being included in a small lot at Sterling Auctions earlier this year.

I did not bid on the one on eBay, since the card also has the same hot dog stains as mine from Sterling. But Foyt Marhoefer cards are very tough, even when they are stained with hot dog juice.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-Marhoef...19.m1438.l2649
Old 09-08-2017, 04:58 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
There is also another one on eBay right now...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152679867851
That one has been on eBay for a long time. The price is a bit...optimistic on that one. LOL
Old 09-10-2017, 02:36 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

And the nine-driver STP set that was bought as a BIN when the auction ended early has now reappeared on eBay for $799. (sighs)

That is close to market value of the cards, and the cards would have sold at something close to that at auction. But it is a bummer to see someone convince a seller to end an auction early, only to quickly relist the lot online at nearly double the price. I know things like that happen all the time on eBay (and even on here). But card flippers are usually not as blatant about it with racing cards because it is a thin market without many high-dollar cards.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-1972-STP-R...wAAOSwI4BZtEyX

Last edited by Bored5000; 09-10-2017 at 03:48 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:21 AM

Just found this thread (normally only read the non-sports side), but since I was mentioned a couple of times, thought I would offer some information.

Marhoefer has been mentioned many times in this thread. Here is my known checklist:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Mar..._checklist.htm

Here is another link to my website listing a few automobile and racing sets:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Automobilecards.htm

This list NEEDS a significant amount of updating, but as one grows older, one realizes that time is one's most valuable asset!

Jon.

Last edited by carbking; 09-19-2017 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:37 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbking View Post
Just found this thread (normally only read the non-sports side), but since I was mentioned a couple of times, thought I would offer some information.

Marhoefer has been mentioned many times in this thread. Here is my known checklist:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Mar..._checklist.htm

Here is another link to my website listing a few automobile and racing sets:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Automobilecards.htm

This list NEEDS a significant amount of updating, but as one grows older, one realizes that time is one's most valuable asset!

Jon.
Great to have you join the thread, Jon. So much of what I know about various racing sets is because of your posts over on the non-sports board and your website.

Last edited by Bored5000; 09-19-2017 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:37 AM

Glad you were able to use my efforts.

Unfortunately, automobile/motorcycle racing is the red-headed step-child of the card collecting hobby.

The sports collectors shun us, as evidenced by the sections available on this forum (even cricket, but no racing)

And it doesn't really fit into non-sports, but the non-sports folks seem to tolerate us as it semi-fits due to automobile or motorcycle cards which are non-sports.

The amount of activity on this thread definitely shows an interest in the topic.

Maybe, in a perverse sense, it is a good thing for we collectors that there is no more interest. Can you imagine the cost of some of the cards if suddenly the baseball folks all started collecting racing??? Some of the auto racing cards are just plain RARE Some make the T-206 Wagner seem like a "common"! Have collected these things for 53 years. Have virtually all the USA printed prior to 1996 (seemed like a good time to just specialize on certain sets/drivers, and stay away from the artificially low production "collector" items). But still missing one of the Say No to Drugs set.

I also collect stamps, and a deceased friend who was a major stamp dealer had the best (opinion) quote about the scarcity of some of this stuff. His comment: "Jon, not only do you have to wait for someone to die to acquire some of these stamps; you need to waiting in the driveway with cash to negotiate with the heirs!".

Jon.

Last edited by carbking; 09-20-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:34 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Glad you were able to use my efforts.

Unfortunately, automobile/motorcycle racing is the red-headed step-child of the card collecting hobby.

The sports collectors shun us, as evidenced by the sections available on this forum (even cricket, but no racing)

And it doesn't really fit into non-sports, but the non-sports folks seem to tolerate us as it semi-fits due to automobile or motorcycle cards which are non-sports.

The amount of activity on this thread definitely shows an interest in the topic.

Maybe, in a perverse sense, it is a good thing for we collectors that there is no more interest. Can you imagine the cost of some of the cards if suddenly the baseball folks all started collecting racing??? Some of the auto racing cards are just plain RARE Some make the T-206 Wagner seem like a "common"! Have collected these things for 53 years. Have virtually all the USA printed prior to 1996 (seemed like a good time to just specialize on certain sets/drivers, and stay away from the artificially low production "collector" items). But still missing one of the Say No to Drugs set.

I also collect stamps, and a deceased friend who was a major stamp dealer had the best (opinion) quote about the scarcity of some of this stuff. His comment: "Jon, not only do you have to wait for someone to die to acquire some of these stamps; you need to waiting in the driveway with cash to negotiate with the heirs!".

Jon.
Good post Jon. I have written often on here that one of the reasons I like collecting racing that there are only a few cards that individually sell for over $500; there aren't any $10,000+ cards. I love the obscure and the impossible to find, even if a card is only worth $100-200.

On the whole, I love non-sports cards or cards outside the big four sports. There is nothing at all wrong with collecting T206 or '33 Goudey, but how many times can a person see the same Ty Cobb or Babe Ruth card listed for sale or at auction?

I know baseball will always be king when it comes to cards, but I could never compete price-wise when it comes to acquiring extreme rarities. With racing cards, I can.

I actually see parallels between racing cards and wrestling cards. This board has some of that niche's top collectors posting on here, and even some extreme rarities of huge stars can be had at prices within reach of collectors. That genre of the hobby really seems to have taken off in recent years, as people are starting to appreciate what is rare and what isn't. Same thing for racing. Unless you actually follow the '72 STP set, who would know that the Lorenzen with car card is a virtual impossibility to find.

Last edited by Bored5000; 09-20-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:49 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

I don't remember if I posted this publicly or just in a PM with a couple board members. But when I won the auction for my Lorenzen with car card, I met the seller in person, since he only lived 30 miles from me. He also offered me a Lorenzen portrait card. I had lost the auction for the portrait card he was selling, but he said he had another one.

When I met the seller, he told me that he had won an automobile lot at an estate auction that included one Lorenzen with car card and 12 of the Lorenzen portrait cards. I agreed to pay $450 for the portrait card, and my heart kind of sank when he told me how many of them he had found. The seller did not have any idea what the cards were and initially thought they were worthless garbage after being unable to find any information online.

The Lorenzen portrait card used to be very tough to find as well, but with the addition of 12 new copies into the hobby all at once, anyone willing to pay the buy it now price for that card on eBay can have one. I know the same thing happens a couple times a year with 100-year old baseball cards, but it is always amazing when such a "find" of rare cards occurs.

Last edited by Bored5000; 09-20-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:10 PM

Default STP set

I have posted in other areas, but still in wonder as to why there is no Paula Murphy card in the STP set.

Rather than post all of the "evidence" why there should be, I will allow those who might have an interest to discover this on their own.

Jon.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:39 PM
Kin K.

Jon,

I echo Eddie's sentiment and am also thrilled to have you as part of the thread. I have seen your posts on the non-sports forum and have read many of them repeatedly. I've also visited your site a couple of times.

I'm (very slowly) working on the T36 and know that you have completed it. I'm excited to learn anything from you about the set that I can, over time.

For those interested, I have picked up another T36 since my last post. For anyone interested, click here!

Have a great weekend, everyone!
-kin
T206/T213 Scoops Carey back run: 4/4 !00% complete

Focus: open wheel/Indy 500 cards (1911 ATC Auto Drivers (T36), 1954 Stark & Wetzel 500 Winners, 1960 Parkhurst Indy Speedway Winners & 1960s Marhoefer Indy 500), match books & post cards.

Successful purchases from dnanln, pre1960sets, jp1216 & sebie43; RAKs from CW & LuckyLarry
Old 09-23-2017, 07:27 AM

Kin - thank you.

If you REALLY want a challenge, try doing a "master" T36 set (4 backs for each front, total 100 cards). It took me over 40 years! Each front has backs advertising either Mecca or Hassan and printed with either factory 30 or 649.

If you are doing the 25 card set (back information unimportant) of the T36, and wish to speed up the process, all fronts are readily available in most lower grades.

Jon.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:04 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Kin - thank you.

If you REALLY want a challenge, try doing a "master" T36 set (4 backs for each front, total 100 cards). It took me over 40 years! Each front has backs advertising either Mecca or Hassan and printed with either factory 30 or 649.

If you are doing the 25 card set (back information unimportant) of the T36, and wish to speed up the process, all fronts are readily available in most lower grades.

Jon.
I thought $390 for the complete set of T36s that recently sold at Huggins and Scott was a great price for a buyer; less than $16 a card for a complete set. I don't expect everyone to be an expert on 1910s Indy racing, but the listing seemed to miss the boat a bit by not even showing the Barney Oldfield card or mentioning its condition when discussing the key cards of the set.

I know I have mentioned this to Kin previously in a PM, but Oldfield just looks so cool chomping on his cigar in his T36 card.

I would have liked to have gone after that T36 set at Huggins and Scott, but I can't buy every card/set I want.

Last edited by Bored5000; 09-23-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:09 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvu_class_of_2001 View Post
Jon,

I echo Eddie's sentiment and am also thrilled to have you as part of the thread. I have seen your posts on the non-sports forum and have read many of them repeatedly. I've also visited your site a couple of times.

I'm (very slowly) working on the T36 and know that you have completed it. I'm excited to learn anything from you about the set that I can, over time.

For those interested, I have picked up another T36 since my last post. For anyone interested, click here!

Have a great weekend, everyone!

-kin
Kin, I didn't realize you were up to 21/25 drivers from the T36 set. Nice progress.

Last edited by Bored5000; 09-23-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:23 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Quote:
Thanks, Brian. I have about 25-30 cards on my want list and within my budget. The two racing cards currently at the top of my want list are a 1986 SportsStar Photo-Graphic Dale Earnhardt and a T36 Barney Oldfield. You wouldn't think a card from 1986 would be that tough, but the Earnhardt card from that set is short-printed; they just don't come available very often. Aside from a cheesy card in the 1983 Uno set and some early postcards, the Sports-Star Photo-Graphics card is the Earnhardt card to have, IMO.
I use to be a Huge Earnhardt Sr. fan. Collected all sorts of things.
I still watch the races on the tube.
I had to look up the 1986 card you were referring to.
Speaking of the RARE 1986 card, found a almost complete set on Ebay-- with the Earnhardt:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-86-NasC...-/263215155186
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 09-23-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
I thought $390 for the complete set of T36s that recently sold at Huggins and Scott was a great price for a buyer; less than $16 a card for a complete set.
Wish I had seen it!

Eddie - do you have the 1982 Kidco Earnhardt? I believe his first card.

Jon.

Last edited by carbking; 09-23-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:13 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
I use to be a Huge Earnhardt Sr. fan. Collected all sorts of things.
I still watch the races on the tube.
I had to look up the 1986 card you were referring to.
Speaking of the RARE 1986 card, found a almost complete set on Ebay-- with the Earnhardt:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-86-NasC...-/263215155186
I have that listing on my watch list; it is priced high. I lost out at auction for an Earnhardt card from that set at around $350 about a year ago. The other cards in the set do not sell for a whole lot. The really weird thing is that the seller of the lot you are talking about originally priced the lot at $595 and found no bidders -- so the seller raised the price to $675 and did not find any bidders. After finding no bidders at $595 and $675, the seller then again raised the starting price to $725. Gee, I wonder what will happen now that the price has again been raised.

The seller of that lot is the same one that ended the lot early for the 1972 STP cards and left money on the table by not allowing the auction to play out to conclusion.

Last edited by Bored5000; 09-23-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:44 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Wish I had seen it!

Eddie - do you have the 1982 Kidco Earnhardt? I believe his first card.

Jon.
Here is the link from the auction, Jon:

http://aug17.hugginsandscott.com/cgi...l?itemid=19455

I wasn't familiar with the Kidco card until you mentioned it; I had to go look it up. The '83 UNO card is almost always listed as Earnhardt's "rookie" card (other than some late '70s/early '80s postcards). I think the reason the Kidco card doesn't get recognition as an Earnhardt card is because the card features a pack of cars and is titled "Drafting to win" rather than identifying Earnhardt by name.

Last edited by Bored5000; 09-23-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:27 PM

Eddie - thanks for the link. Like I posted above, wish I had seen it BEFORE it ended. Those are some nice cards!

Jon.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:31 AM
Kin K.

Quote:
Kin - thank you.

Jon.
Jon - That is certainly the goal. Not sure I have 40 years left in me, but I'm certainly going to give it a whirl!

Focus: open wheel/Indy 500 cards (1911 ATC Auto Drivers (T36), 1954 Stark & Wetzel 500 Winners, 1960 Parkhurst Indy Speedway Winners & 1960s Marhoefer Indy 500), match books & post cards.

Successful purchases from dnanln, pre1960sets, jp1216 & sebie43; RAKs from CW & LuckyLarry
Old 09-30-2017, 05:07 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Every once in a while, someone will post a piece of bodywork on eBay that is purported to be from Gordon Smiley's horrific fatal crash at Indy in 1982. The auctions usually get shut down pretty quickly.

But an item up for auction at Lelands right now seems in pretty bad taste for an auction house. Who would actually bid on half the steering wheel used by Art Pollard in his fatal 1973 crash at Indy?

https://lelands.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=83983

Last edited by Bored5000; 09-30-2017 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:40 AM
Kin K.

I'm all about preserving history, but there are some things that I just can't see myself doing.

On another note, I feel like prices are creeping up on the T36 cards. A three-card lot ended last night on eBay and I ended up the underbidder. I really thought my bid was strong enough based on what I've gotten other cards for. Maybe it was the condition on these or something. They were all drivers that I've seen often enough that I wouldn't call them "scarce" by any means.

-kin

Quote:
Every once in a while, someone will post a piece of bodywork on eBay that is purported to be from Gordon Smiley's horrific fatal crash at Indy in 1982. The auctions usually get shut down pretty quickly.

But an item up for auction at Lelands right now seems in pretty bad taste for an auction house. Who would actually bid on half the steering wheel used by Art Pollard in his fatal 1973 crash at Indy?

https://lelands.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=83983

Old 10-02-2017, 09:52 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
I'm all about preserving history, but there are some things that I just can't see myself doing.

On another note, I feel like prices are creeping up on the T36 cards. A three-card lot ended last night on eBay and I ended up the underbidder. I really thought my bid was strong enough based on what I've gotten other cards for. Maybe it was the condition on these or something. They were all drivers that I've seen often enough that I wouldn't call them "scarce" by any means.

-kin
I saw that lot and wondered if you won it.

Last edited by Bored5000; 10-03-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:53 PM
Shawn England

Default 1959 Daytona 500 Tickets

Hi All,

My Mom picked these up at an estate sale, they were actually packed away in a pocket of a small suitcase that she had purchased. She had know idea the tickets were in there - she said there was also a flattened starfish "super flat" that was in another pocket.

I have looked all over and can not find any sold or for sale examples... I can find some online - one is graded on PSA database... But that's it... Can anyone help her with value?

I am disappointed in my photos that I took (we were in a dark restaurant) as I think they look better than this - brighter blue and a gloss to them. They look like they have been stored for a long time as far as colors not fading...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (80.2 KB, 572 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (78.0 KB, 570 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (80.1 KB, 576 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (78.5 KB, 571 views)
Old 10-25-2017, 10:02 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Awesome ticket stubs, Shawn. I don't think they are worth a ton of money, though. I will say maybe $50-100 each. There was a '59 Daytona 500 ticket on eBay earlier this year that failed to attract any bids at a $195 starting price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-19...p2047675.l2557

Huggins and Scott auctioned off a PSA 6 from the first Southern 500 at Darlington (1950) a few years ago and that ticket stub brought $220. That was the only 1950 Southern 500 stub that has been authenticated by PSA.

But I have also seen raw stubs from the first Southern 500 fail to sell on eBay priced at under $100.

http://dec13.hugginsandscott.com/cgi...l?itemid=63042

Last edited by Bored5000; 10-26-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:03 AM
Shawn England

Default Thank you

Hi Eddie,

I wanted to say thank you for the information - big help! She will be thrilled
Old 10-27-2017, 07:49 AM
Kyle May

I need to go through the ticket stubs my dad passed down to me. There were some Indy 500 I believe from the 70s/80s.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 10-27-2017, 10:24 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokelessjoe View Post
Hi Eddie,

I wanted to say thank you for the information - big help! She will be thrilled
No problem. Like I said, that is a best guess. Even Indy 500 ticket stubs don't sell for much money, except for the very early ones from the 1910s and 1920s.

Last edited by Bored5000; 10-27-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:05 AM
Kin K.

Jon & Eddie,

If someone is going to be able to help me out with these, it is probably you gentlemen. I'm looking for any information you can give me on this card (it is front and back).

img076 by kekinsley, on Flickr

img075 by kekinsley, on Flickr

I believe that at one time, I read that these 3x4 cards were associated with a board game. They obviously are Parkhurst and a brother to the Hawes Wax cards. I also feel like I read that there were six cards in total. This is all from memory though.

Is there any additional information you can give me and/or any reference to them online? I'd like to get them into my collection on Trading Card Database, but need some more information. In addition to the card pictured I have Bill Holland/Floyd Roberts, Mauri Rose/Tommy Milton, Rodger Ward/Floyd Davis & Mauri Rose, Pat Flaherty/Lee Wallard and Betterhausen In Pits/Bob Sweikert.

Any information is truly appreciated. I hope that everyone has an enjoyable and safe Christmas!

-kin

Old 12-23-2017, 11:03 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Kin, I am only somewhat familiar with the cards you posted. I know that 12 of the images from the 1960 Hawes Wax Indy cards were produced on six oversized cards. Here is a Beckett link that references the Canadian game that included the six cards, but I can't be much more helpful beyond that:

https://www.beckett.com/racing/1960/hawes-wax-indy

There isn't much additional information to be found online. A couple of Worthpoint completed auctions make passing reference to the game, but shed no details on a name or anything like that.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:58 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Like a lot of other people, I lost my scans when Photobucket went to a pay format. I finally broke down and rescanned some of the collection into an imageevent gallery. I put together a gallery of my graded 1972 STP cards and wrote a description of each card/the set as a whole.

I am not a huge PSA registry guy. My complete set does not grade as high as fellow net54 member "Justus." But as rare as some of the cards are, I am glad to have an example of every card.

https://imageevent.com/eddiesmithcards/1972stpcards

Last edited by Bored5000; 04-01-2018 at 02:36 AM.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:43 PM
Kin K.

Thanks for sharing, Eddie! I’d love to have a copy of the Allison STP (will never happen). You mention it being the second most valuable racing card, what’s your estimate of going rate, should one surface?

I believe I’ve mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I am jealous that you have that Foyt Marhoefer. That’s one that someday I plan to have. I think Lloyd Ruby also has a Marhoefer card. Someday I hope to come into one.

Old 04-01-2018, 09:56 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Thanks for sharing, Eddie! I’d love to have a copy of the Allison STP (will never happen). You mention it being the second most valuable racing card, what’s your estimate of going rate, should one surface?

I believe I’ve mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I am jealous that you have that Foyt Marhoefer. That’s one that someday I plan to have. I think Lloyd Ruby also has a Marhoefer card. Someday I hope to come into one.
Kin, I sent you a PM.

Are you making any more progress on your T36 set? Do you already have a Barney Oldfield T36 card? I have been looking for an Oldfield T36 for a couple years now, and he never seems to show up on eBay. Edit: I just looked at your gallery. You are looking for an Oldfield also. LOL

I actually decided to create a gallery for my STP cards because I was talking about the set on a message board with other racing fans, and a couple posters were intrigued by the cards because they were stick and ball card collectors, but were not familiar with the STP racing set.

Last edited by Bored5000; 04-02-2018 at 04:23 AM.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:56 AM
Kin K.

I believe earlier in the thread we mentioned the 1960 Parkhurst Indianapolis Speedway Winners/Hawes Wax Indy set. I saw this blog post a few days ago with scanned images of the June 20, 1960 copy of "The Card Collector." It mentions, very briefly, the Parkhurst set. There's nothing much to take away from it that we didn't know, other than learning that the set was released in the earlier part of the year, and in the months leading up to the race.

Doubling Up

-kin

Old 04-09-2018, 04:37 PM
Kin K.

Eddie,

You already saw, but Oldfield is one of the three left that I need. Truth be told, when it comes available, we should talk. No need getting into a needless bidding war. I know it’ll be awhile, but another will eventually come available!
Quote:
Kin, I sent you a PM.

Are you making any more progress on your T36 set? Do you already have a Barney Oldfield T36 card? I have been looking for an Oldfield T36 for a couple years now, and he never seems to show up on eBay. Edit: I just looked at your gallery. You are looking for an Oldfield also. LOL

I actually decided to create a gallery for my STP cards because I was talking about the set on a message board with other racing fans, and a couple posters were intrigued by the cards because they were stick and ball card collectors, but were not familiar with the STP racing set.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:39 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Eddie,

You already saw, but Oldfield is one of the three left that I need. Truth be told, when it comes available, we should talk. No need getting into a needless bidding war. I know it’ll be awhile, but another will eventually come available!
Oh, I won't get into a bidding war over it. I know you are working on the set. I kinda wish I would have went harder at the T36 set that sold at Huggins and Scott earlier this year., but there are a bunch of things on my want list.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:30 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Racing lost one of the best dirt-track drivers in the country Saturday night when Sprint Car driver Jason Johnson was killed in a horrific crash at Beaver Dam, Wisconsin.

Johnson, 41, was a five-time American Sprint Car Series (ASCS) 360 champion. He also won 12 career World of Outlaws features including two this season. But Johnson is most known for his thrilling win in the 2016 Knoxville (Iowa) Nationals. The Knoxville Nationals pays $150,000 to win, and there is no bigger dirt track race anywhere than the Knoxville Nationals.

Reactions from around the racing world:

https://nesn.com/2018/06/racing-worl...jason-johnson/

Johnson was just the second World of Outlaws driver killed in the past 20 years. This is almost too hard to believe (and just absolutely awful), but Johnson's wife, Bobbi, was the fiancee of racer Kevin Gobrecht when Gobrecht was killed in a World of Outlaws race at Greenwood (Neb.) in 1999.

Here is a very sad, hard to read, article that talks about Johnson's widow dealing with the death of Gobrecht back in 1999. The couple has planned to marry in November of that year, but Gobrecht was killed on September 24.

https://www.kevingobrecht.com/tribut...eyJackson.html

Everyone who has grown up around racing knows that racing people are the best, The official GoFundMe page that the World of Outlaws set up for Johnson's wife and five-year-old son has received over $37,000 in donations in just 24 hours.

https://www.gofundme.com/JasonJohnsonForever41

Here it is: This is the biggest win of Jason Johnson's career -- the 2016 Knoxville Nationals. Even if you have never seen a Sprint Car race, check out the five-minute highlight video of the race. The closing laps featured Johnson and 10-time Knoxville Nationals winner Donny Schatz exchanging slide jobs while trading the lead back and forth. This video is definitely worth watching, one of the best dirt-track races a fan could ever see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-nseJnSul0

Last edited by Bored5000; 06-25-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:49 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

A couple more great articles about Jason Johnson beyond his accomplishments on the track:

https://sprintcarunlimited.com/jason...nd-and-person/

Here is an Australia-based website that talks about Johnson's rise through the ranks. Journeyman World Of Outlaw Sprint Car driver Steve Beitler gave the 17-year-old Johnson a chance to help out on his crew, even though Johnson had never wrenched on a Sprint Car before. Beitler related the story on Facebook yesterday about Johnson going from not even knowing how to mount and dismount tires to winning the biggest dirt track race in the world with a self-owned team over the course of 20 years.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/06/25...-johnson-dies/

Last edited by Bored5000; 06-25-2018 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:29 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

I just wanted to give a heads up on here to an outstanding racing book that I finished reading a few days ago: "J.D. The Life and Death of a Forgotten NASCAR Legend" by Brock Beard.

https://www.amazon.com/J-D-Forgotten...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

I am not affiliated with the book or anything like that; it's just a fabulous read. Initially, I thought how interesting can a book be about a guy who ran 653 Cup races and never won (J.D. McDuffie) ? But after a reading a few of the Amazon reviews, I decided to buy the book. There is a reason the Amazon reviews are what they are for the book; it is outstanding. The book really makes me think differently about McDuffie and all the independent Cup racers of that era. About half the book is about McDuffie's overall racing career and his struggles as racing in the Cup series became increasingly expensive in the 1980s, while the other half of the book is about the fateful weekend at Watkins Glen (N.Y.) during which McDuffie lost his life. The book also touches on the hardship of his family following his death and what so many of the people involved with his team did in the decades since.

When I look at what the Cup series is now, McDuffie's story seems like it happened a million years ago,.

Among the things that really stood out to me:

* McDuffie had difficulty reading and writing (something I also learned about Rich Vogler after reading John Sawyer's book about him many years ago), and he rarely if ever allowed anyone else to drive his "Old Blue" ramp truck to and from the races.

* He typically allotted himself one stogie for each 100 miles of a race. A good day was when he smoked all five cigars during a 500 miler because it meant that he finished the race.

* The book also contains a great chapter of close McDuffie friend and fellow independent Jimmy Means. Means was involved in the Watkins Glen accident that killed McDuffie. After giving a shellshocked interview with Ned Jarrett following the crash, Means was so distraught that he immediately left Watkins Glen that day.

* I had known about McDuffie winning a match race in a Late Model at Shangri-La (New York) Speedway among various crew guys the night before the Watkins Glen race, but the night at Shangri-La is really fleshed out in the book. McDuffie drove the car of track points leader Tom Schwarz that night. For the first time in decades, McDuffie felt what it was like to have the best car in the field; he started last in the eight-car field that night and took the lead on the second lap. In Victory Lane, promoter Dale Campfield gave McDuffie a handshake with a $100 bill in it.

The next morning at a local diner for breakfast, McDuffie, still beaming from the night before, grabbed the breakfast check, pulled out the $100 bill and said simply "Winners buy." The ragtag crew that helped McDuffie typically paid for their own meals because they knew how tight money was for the driver.

At the Watkins Glen drivers meeting on the fateful Sunday morning, McDuffie's win at Shangri-La the previous evening was brought up. Ernie Irvan, who would win the tragedy-marred Cup race, joked with McDuffie, "You've been holding out on us all these years, J.D."

* One of the further tragedies of the McDuffie accident was that a North Carolina scammer by the name Jeff Tobias Bennett posed as McDuffie's brother and was given the driver's uniform and other effects he was wearing that day. Bennett then sold McDuffie's uniform to a hobby shop for $150. The bubble goggles McDuffie was wearing that day and the tire that broke off his car to cause the accident have never been seen since.

* McDuffie's family received the $30,000 driver death benefit from NASCAR's insurance policy, but the family had to repeatedly fight for the $15,000 car owner benefit.

* His family remains deeply troubled by NASCAR's insinuation that McDuffie died because he was driving junk. He obviously raced used parts, but he did not use stuff that was worn out because he knew it was his life at stake.Since the tire and attached suspension parts disappeared shortly after the accident, it was impossible to ascertain exactly what broke on McDuffie's car -- not that NASCAR was much into thorough investigations prior to Dale Earnhardt's death.

* McDuffie's "Old Blue" ramp truck hauler was purchased at auction in 2013 by Ken Schrader. The truck is now owned by a Late Model team in Michigan and serves as a functional shrine to McDuffie. The truck still contains the issue of "NASCAR Illustrated" that was current at the time of the Watkins Glen race, several smoked cigar butts in the ashtray and the "Winner's Buy" diner receipt that McDuffie stuck above the driver's side sun visor after purchasing breakfast for his crew.

Again, the book is far greater than I expected a book about J.D. McDuffie to be, It is unfortunate that there aren't guys like that at the highest levels of racing anymore.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:29 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Sorry, double post.

Last edited by Bored5000; 02-19-2019 at 02:37 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:31 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

I had previously known about the McDuffie death car being sold for profit after the accident. The book does not really go into the sordid details of the car being sold without the permission of McDuffie's family, but the book lays out how that came about. A man by the name of Marty Burke had been helping McDuffie and was in the process of buying the car from McDuffie in hopes of starting his own career in ARCA. Burke made the final of five payment installments shortly before the race at Watkins Glen. Burke did not have a bill of sale saying he owned the car, but did produce five canceled checks signed by McDuffie.

The death car was turned over to Burke mere hours after the fatal accident and was subsequently offered for sale in a ghoulish 1995 ad mentioning the car was "not cheap, serious buyers only."

Here is a famous 2001 Ed Hinton article in which he talks about McDuffie's death car being sold to a random ghoul. The car has never been seen again.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...nascar-elisa/4

Here is a 2013 article that talks about McDuffie's widow finally selling off his husband's race shop and her husband's belongings that were inside, many of which had not been touched since his death in 1991. The "Old Blue" ramp truck that was purchased in the article by a John Parsons was actually a straw buyer for former Cup driver Ken Schrader.

Even 22 years after her husband's death, Ima Jean McDuffie cried about the car her husband was killed in being sold by a a crew member who J.D. trusted.

https://erinarmbruster41.wordpress.c...-finally-sold/

"That’s what hurts hurts so bad. J.D. trusted those people, and that car don’t belong to whoever’s got it,” Jean McDuffie said as tears ran down her face.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:31 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Sorry, double post.

Last edited by Bored5000; 02-19-2019 at 02:34 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:17 PM
Shawn England

Default Lloyd Ruby Cooler

Hoping to get some thoughts on this cooler I have had for several years. I hate that it has the black paint on it, but you can actually see the "speed 180 something" when you are in front of it. I did not realize that it was not visible in the photo. Pick it up at an estate sale years ago in a barn out back.

1. Did this belong to the Lloyd Racing team?
2. Any kind of value?

Thanks in advance for any opinions,

Shawn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0816 - Copy (960x1280).jpg (80.4 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0817 - Copy (960x1280).jpg (81.3 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0818 - Copy (960x1280).jpg (81.0 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0819 - Copy (960x1280).jpg (80.2 KB, 215 views)
Old 02-19-2019, 02:50 PM
Shawn England

Default Lloyd Ruby Cooler

Double

Last edited by smokelessjoe; 02-19-2019 at 02:52 PM. Reason: double
Old 02-19-2019, 11:13 PM

I can't answer your questions but VERY NEAT item!
Old 05-24-2019, 01:11 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

Looking forward to Sunday with the Indy 500 and Coca-Cola 600 always a great day of racing on TV!

My mother was such a fan of the Indy 500. When I was a kid (I'm 65) I remember the race was on Monday (Memorial Day) and was only broadcast on the radio. So we would listen to the race live on the radio, then on Saturday the race was on Wide World of Sports on TV. At least that's my memory lol!

So I'll have my TV tuned to the races, and for good measure I'll have the radio feed streaming out by the pool. It's going to be sunny and hot here in NE Florida so Sunday should be a great day!

Larry
Old 05-20-2020, 11:34 AM

Default Looking for info

Anyone know anything about these cards? I have 11 different drivers; not sure if there are others or not. They measure 4" x 5.5" and are heavy, thick paper but not ball card stock.

Old 05-20-2020, 07:48 PM
Kin K.

Very cool to hear about how that all used to work. I was watching an early 1970s Indianapolis 500 on YouTube and the in-race commercial said they'd be showing the Monaco GP the next weekend. Now they are on the same day. Little nuggets I love hearing about.

-kin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
Looking forward to Sunday with the Indy 500 and Coca-Cola 600 always a great day of racing on TV!

My mother was such a fan of the Indy 500. When I was a kid (I'm 65) I remember the race was on Monday (Memorial Day) and was only broadcast on the radio. So we would listen to the race live on the radio, then on Saturday the race was on Wide World of Sports on TV. At least that's my memory lol!

So I'll have my TV tuned to the races, and for good measure I'll have the radio feed streaming out by the pool. It's going to be sunny and hot here in NE Florida so Sunday should be a great day!

Larry

Old 05-20-2020, 07:50 PM
Kin K.

Extremely cool and wondering if you found anything else out about it. Lloyd Ruby is one of my two favorite drivers that I never actually got to see race.

-kin

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokelessjoe View Post
Hoping to get some thoughts on this cooler I have had for several years. I hate that it has the black paint on it, but you can actually see the "speed 180 something" when you are in front of it. I did not realize that it was not visible in the photo. Pick it up at an estate sale years ago in a barn out back.

1. Did this belong to the Lloyd Racing team?
2. Any kind of value?

Thanks in advance for any opinions,

Shawn

Old 05-20-2020, 07:51 PM
Kin K.

Wish I could help with this, but I know nothing. Can't wait to see if someone else does.

-kin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
Anyone know anything about these cards? I have 11 different drivers; not sure if there are others or not. They measure 4" x 5.5" and are heavy, thick paper but not ball card stock.