NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-13-2007, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Default anybody else oops...like I did?

Posted By: peter ullman

So every now and then, while perusing ebay, I'll place a bid on a card or item I feel is conservative enough as to eventually be outbid. It's kinda like a litle game...seemingly harmless usually. Well last night one of my "games" backfired to the tune of $600. Now I will soon have a card I really don't want. Has this ever happened to you? Stay tuned on the bst thread.

pete in mn

Old 03-13-2007, 09:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Yes it has! And oddly, my "ooops's" seem to come in waves - I'll oops 2 or 3 things in about 2 weeks, then not again for a few months.

A lot of times I put placeholder bids that are above nominal. I'll put them on what I think is the low side of medium, if that makes any sense. My rule of thumb for one of these (not really going for it, but also not a $2.50 bookmark bid) is that even if I don't really want the card I would be happy to get it at that bid.

I don't know why I will accidentally win a few things in a few weeks - get braver maybe? Or maybe I just don't know what the heck some of the things are worth.

Oh, and Pete? Ironically, one of my classic ooops was that 69 card T206 beater lot that I won from your ebay auction about a year ago. I actually did okay with it once I listed the Cobb in the SGC-A holder. So all's well that ends well. Good luck on the BST!

Joann

Old 03-13-2007, 09:32 PM
Administrator

funny joann!! i thought you got a good deal on the beaters! i will live to oops again.

pete in mn

Old 03-14-2007, 10:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

I blame this issue on alcohol.

One night, with an inordinately high BAC, I was cruising through EBay. This was some years ago so I can't recall all the dollar figures with absolute certainty but one can get the general "feel" for the story....

I had wanted a 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth #144 card. I have always thought that one is real sweet. I see an SGC 84 and the description read like this:

1933 Babe Ruth Goudey #144 SGC 84 WWG

I put in my bid of oooohhhhh 75% of SMR for a PSA 7 not really even reading the description. Days later I go back and read the description. It's a World Wide Gum card. I was peeved but also embarassed that I was that careless and stupid. I ended up winning the card and sold it many months later at a near $1,000 loss. Oddly enough the seller was a fairly major auction house that specializes in items other than cards (but a lot of cards as well) AND I have never even glanced at their catalog. I think under todays EBay rules falsely putting "Goudey 144" in the title would be a violation. Certainly 100% of the blame goes to me...but that doesn't stop me from harboring animosity.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:34 PM
Administrator

cat...too funny...truth of the matter is the WWG probably should be worth more than the goudey!!

pete in mn

Old 03-14-2007, 10:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cn

A few drinks will do it any time. I just got back from a NY Ranger Game and refuse to go on Ebay because I know I might do something stupid. CN

Old 03-14-2007, 11:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

I always thought the most dangerous card store location was in the middle of Westwood, at UCLA. Right by the bars and open late at night. Bad combination.

Old 03-14-2007, 11:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

fix 2 cavaties and fughetaboutit.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean

I blame 2 things for this:
1. Alcohol (like many above)
2. My wife being gone (which leaves me time to peruse eBay)

One thing that happens to me is if I see a best offer, I will offer what I think is a very low price for the card and hear no response for 47 hours. I forget about it and buy other cards only to have my offer accepted in the last hour...that is hard to explain to the wife.

Sean BH

Old 03-15-2007, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

alcohol + paypal balance = trouble.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

Pete,

I do it all the time...sometimes I will have as many as fifty bids placed and not win a single item (usually on items that I am sure will resurface). When I do win (and sometimes it is for something that I really did not want) I either hold onto the item or use it for trade bait.