NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-13-2007, 09:06 PM
Administrator

Default He listed the fake cards again!!

Posted By: Dave

It just gets so repetitive and ridicilious....If anybody knows this guy that bought both of these cards....a heads up to NOT pay might be nice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1909-11-T206-TY-COBB-Green-Portrait_W0QQitemZ260096377694QQcategoryZ86840QQrd Z1QQcmdZViewItem>

http://cgi.ebay.com/1909-1911-T206-TY-COBB-BAT-ON-SHOULDER-TOBACCO_W0QQitemZ260096378208QQcategoryZ86840QQrdZ 1QQcmdZViewItem>

Old 03-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

What is worse, this Jack Ass seller (Borail) is the same guy who dicked over Darby-S on the six T206's that were in really bad condition. There was a thread about these six cards just a couple of days ago.

Here is the link to the Darby-S auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/1909-T206-Tobacco-baseball-cards-Piedmont-with-Chase-NY_W0QQitemZ270094222369QQihZ017QQcategoryZ86840QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

David

Old 03-13-2007, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill

If he says he doesn't know much about these cards, why has he been purchasing other T206 cards? First, I wouldn't be buying cards I don't know much about. Second, if you are purchasing T206 cards, I don't know why you would sell these two. True, could just be looking for money to purchase other cards. But then why say that you don't know much about them?

Change your socks, drink water, and drive on.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:05 PM
Administrator

The guy obviously knows what he is doing....thats the kind of crap that just really irritates me....makes me wnat to go kick the neighbor's dog

Old 03-14-2007, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: RC

This is a huge problem for collectors. I am trying to read as much as I can find on fakes so that I don't get burnt.

I am primarily interested in the '33 Goudeys but would like to maybe start with some tobacco cards.

If some of you could help identify sellers to stay away from as well as those that are deemed reputable, I would certainly apprciate it.

Thanks, RC

Old 03-14-2007, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...to pay over $100 for a red Old Mill back, then you don't deserve to be collecting T206 cards.

I get that these sellers are bogus and lame and I hate them, too. But at some point, why do we give a pass to idiot bidders that think they're getting the goods at 10% the price -- especially when one of them has a red old mill back?

I mean, jeez, it doesn't take a lot of due diligence to avoid that one.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

While I believe any number of us could suggest "good" sellers you may be better served by following some of these general rules as regards "bad" or "suspicious" sellers:

1. Feedback. Low.... bad; high...., generally good;

2. Pictures. Fuzzy, digital, small....bad; Hi res scans, front and back....good;

3. Private Auctions: bad;

4. Provenance. "Found card under a tire rim", "Found card in Grandpa's attic"; "Have had card in family since 1909", all bad;

5. Excuse for selling. "baby needs new shoes", "wife pregnant again with eighth child", "need an operation"....all bad;

6 Disclaimer of knowledge. Any statement that purports to convey the impression that the seller has absolutely no knowledge of cards or what he/she is selling....bad;

7. Seller's stock in trade. What like kind material has he/she been selling? Beanie Babies, car parts, used CD's, office supplies....all bad;

8. Money back Guarantee. If not....bad; if so....good;

9. Raw vs. graded. You always run a risk no matter how comfortable you are with the seller, after reviewing each of the foregoing, that the card is altered, trimmed or not as represented.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: George Dreher

I would agree on most of those stories. But it looks like the "grandpa" story is legit on those Shigley auctions. I count 4 T206 and 1 Goodwin up now. There was only one a few days ago. Sent the seller a message this morning and asked how many cards are going to be sold on eBay. Spit my Raisin Bran out when he replied that there will be over 10,000 cards and it will take years to list them one at a time! Looks like I should be able to nicely fill some gaps in my collection.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

na na na na na

Old 03-14-2007, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: RC

Thanks Steve,

I think all of those suggestions make sense and I used a "power seller" with very high feedback for my first purchase on E-Bay this past week.

I got the cards and think they are real but always have a question mark in the back of my mind.

Subtle things like the stock of the card, features only of that time period, etc... are areas I need to get better at.

Thanks again, RC

Old 03-14-2007, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I would say, 1) The seller has to to say what it is in no uncertain turns ('It might be,' 'It could be,' isn't saying what it is), 2) Have a legitimate authenticity guarantee and return policy ('Sold as is' isn't a good guarantee). The policy isn't so just for the policy, but also a demonstration of the seller's confidence in what he sells. For example, an autograph seller with a lifetime authenticity guarantee suggests he's confident in the authenticity of what he's offering.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kenneth A. Cohen

These listings could have been flagged under the "authenticity disclaimer" policy, and Ebay may well have de-listed them, except it looks like the buyer snapped up both cards on BIN rather quickly. I have sent a message to the buyer to clue him in and to give him a link to this thread. If he doesn't heed the advice, what can you do? You can lead a horse to water...................

Old 03-14-2007, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Question a seller who says he knows nothing about a T206 Ty Cobb, but has it is a penny sleeve and top loader. Few other than card collectors and dealers own penny sleeves and top loaders. Even if not the seller, obviously someone along the line was knowledgeable and serious enough about baseball cards to put it in a penny sleeve and top loader. And it's unlikely a previous owner who knew that much about the hobby would pass along a T206 Ty Cobb without saying something substantial about its identity and value. In other words, it's unlikely that someone who has a original T206 Ty Cobb in penny sleeve and top loader would offer the card for a fraction of its value .... That is unless the seller is a sexy young woman in lingerie who's selling cards to spite her ex-boyfriend. Those sales are legit. I hear if you buy $2,000 of her cards you get a complimentary picture of her wearing nothing but a penny sleeve-- though the pic looks suspiciously like a penny sleeve scotched taped to a Victoria's Secret catalog.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: George Dreher

Steve, from the sounds of it, looks like there will be plenty to go around. I'm pretty confident in my ability to outbid anyone for the cards I need to fill gaps. Even Mr. Mint would be hard pressed to throw the kind of funds I can muster into a bidding war.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:51 PM
Administrator

This idiot has these two cards back up for sale again!

http://cgi.ebay.com/1909-11-T206-TY-COBB-Green-Portrait_W0QQitemZ260096593234QQcategoryZ86840QQss PageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Old 03-14-2007, 01:52 PM
Administrator

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260096592402&fromMakeTrack=true

Old 03-14-2007, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

He doesn't know much about them...just that they're fake.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Well I thought someone already bought both cards on a BIN for $149...I guess he took the same scans and figured he'd get an additional $149 for each from some other guy

Old 03-15-2007, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kenneth A. Cohen

The original BIN buyer wrote me back and told me that he retracted his bids once he realized what the cards really were. Chalk one up for the good guys!