NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-19-2013, 07:16 AM
M@rk Cl@ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Christmas comes early to the Arnold household.
"Kids, we're going to Hawaii!!"
Old 04-19-2013, 07:28 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Lying is a good way to make friends here and elsewhere.
Exactly what I thought Peter.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:37 AM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

Peter_Spaeth

Yes I know....just been burned bad in the past I was trying to protect myself.

I have not lied about anything else except that I told Leon in private he understood.

Last edited by Zone91; 04-19-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:40 AM
Brian J0hns0n

This certainly is entertaining (actually bizarre). I can't wait for the next episode!
Old 04-19-2013, 07:48 AM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

Have none of you ever changed your mind on a purchase at the last minute I do not think this is bizarre or crazy. I am collecting cards that are rare and the Dunlop fits that description to the tea!!! The Mantle was a dream card but not what I collect in terms of rare cards....rarity comes first for me then a dream card.

I mean people do it all the time with other things in their lives like hey what a beautiful women I must have her in my life then 2 days later ah no she is not for me....and other times it last a life time with a women.

I think divorce cost way more than a few bad choices when changing ones mind on another card one wants versus another card.

Last edited by Zone91; 04-19-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:56 AM
Todd Schultz

I hope everyone is enjoying the carnival. Wonder how long it's in town?
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:04 AM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

Like Jesus said may the 1st one to cast a stone be a person who has never made a error/sin in his life....and the WHOLE crowd just stood there and no one came forward to cast a stone at the so called ''sinner''.

I am far from been perfect guys!!!

Last edited by Zone91; 04-19-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:06 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone91 View Post
How much do you think I should have paid for the Dunlop card I mean only 9 of them exist in the whole world and is known as the ''Holy Grail'' of football cards...I figure it is worth anywhere from 10 000$ to
15 000$...correct me if I am wrong.

I can't see this card going down in value only up over time with such a low supply.
Adrian,

A card like that, it's not necessarily on price. My Mantle signed rookie and Gehrig signed DeLong were the most I've ever spent on a card, and I never thought I would have spent that much on a card ever.

The point is, I'm happy, regardless of price. And we can all see that you are happy as well, and price isn't too big of a concern. Don't really ever worry about over paying if it's something you're truly going to enjoy, like what I did. I don't ever plan on getting rid of my cards, and if I got offered $30k for the pair, I'd say no because I enjoy them too much.

Best of Luck,

Brent
Old 04-19-2013, 08:09 AM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

HOF Auto Rookies

Good point sir!!! I would not sell the Dunlop either it is here to stay in my collection for a long long while.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:02 AM
Jeff P

Default Correcting a few misconceptions

I love it when baseball card collectors talk football ;-) However, a couple of things that Zone91 were told are not true.

1) True football experts now put the estimate for the number of Dunlop cards to be between 20 - 30. It's still pretty rare but isn't even close to the rarest football card that exists. There are 14-15 graded Dunlop's between PSA and SGC. The others aren't graded. Due to the press around some recent findings of this card, others have popped up in the past year.

2) At least 4-5 Dunlop's have been sold on the public market during the past year so this card does come up for auction more frequently than you have been told. There have been years, however, where it did not appear in an auction so it's definitely not a given that you can find one if you want one. I've been offered three of them in the past year so they are definitely out there, though.

The question as to whether the Dunlop card is the Holy Grail of football cards hugely depends upon your perspective. Some serious collectors prefer a high grade National Chicle Nagurski to the Dunlop simply because Nagurski was a pro star whereas Dunlop was barely a starter on his college team and unknown to the general population. His claim to fame is due to a printing error that left his name off the card. This is probably why the population of this card is lower than the other cards in the N302 Mayo set.

Others consider star cards with lower population to be the big dogs of the hobby. As examples, I believe there are only two Star Player Candy Red Grange cards and two Rogers Peet Ken Strong cards known to exist.

I personally love the Dunlop card and wouldn't trade it for any of the others.

jeff
Old 04-19-2013, 09:13 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
I hope everyone is enjoying the carnival. Wonder how long it's in town?
As I told Peter S yesterday, a few more days. I/we try to let things work themselves out on the board. When they don't, then they get worked out otherwise.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:21 AM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

jefferyepayne

Thanks I am fine if there are 20 -30 known still a very rare card compared to say the Wagner or some other expensive cards.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:22 AM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

Leon

Will I be banned I followed you rule of 2 topics maximum per day?
Old 04-19-2013, 09:30 AM
Barry Sloate

Adrian- must you comment on every single post that refers to you, no matter how small? Can't you just let a few of them pass without posting? That's the issue, that this board has become Adrian's dog and pony show. Just take a break once and a while, and everything will be fine.

Last edited by barrysloate; 04-19-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:35 AM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

barrysloate

OK cool will do...take care guys!!!
Old 04-19-2013, 09:44 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone91 View Post
Leon

Will I be banned I followed you rule of 2 topics maximum per day?
No, Adrian, you have abided by what was asked of you. I don't see banning you at all. However, as others have said, one person can not take over the board, me included. If you post 50-100 times a day, about every single little thing that comes to your mind, then it turns others off. Just take it easy. As has been said, you don't have to reply to every single post, with another post. I just want a happy community and many members are not happy because of how much you are posting the last few days. We all want you to be in the hobby and I don't think anyone actually dislikes you.....they just dislike the forum being taken over the way it has been. If it persists then I will ask you to post less. I still think you are a very good guy and I like you....
Old 06-18-2016, 09:29 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Wow. Just read this thread while researching the Dunlop card (a 1.5 went unsold on ebay with an 11k min bid at auction). i have to think Adrian has regretted this decision.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:59 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Nothing says Net54 better than Adrian, the crown jewel of former Board Members.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:10 PM
Jeff Lowe

What's a football and how come they made cards of these things ?
Old 06-18-2016, 10:46 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Nothing says Net54 better than Adrian, the crown jewel of former Board Members.
I just read through this thread and the last couple that Adrian started. This was before I joined Net54. Pretty crazy stuff. I don't think I've seen anything quite like it in my time here.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:54 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
Wow. Just read this thread while researching the Dunlop card (a 1.5 went unsold on ebay with an 11k min bid at auction). i have to think Adrian has regretted this decision.
You would have to read all the posts and notice the time stamps to realize this, but Adrian regretted every decision he made within days (sometimes hours or even minutes) of making the decision.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:01 AM
Eric Perry

Hard to believe it has been three years...
Old 06-19-2016, 10:11 AM
Anthøny N. ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I just read through this thread and the last couple that Adrian started. This was before I joined Net54. Pretty crazy stuff. I don't think I've seen anything quite like it in my time here.

Go track down the thread where Bruce D. threatens to sue himself.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:13 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

"Elementary, Sherman. Let's rev up the Wayback Machine." - Mr. Peabody
Old 06-19-2016, 10:33 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
You would have to read all the posts and notice the time stamps to realize this, but Adrian regretted every decision he made within days (sometimes hours or even minutes) of making the decision.
Adrian bought a Mantle 4, and sold it. I regret not buying it, he offered it at a substantial discount to then-market and it was a nice one, but I just was not comfortable sending him money and trusting him given that as a buyer he had reneged on quite a few purchases. My loss was another board member's gain though.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:37 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Adrian bought a Mantle 4, and sold it. I regret not buying it, he offered it at a substantial discount to then-market and it was a nice one, but I just was not comfortable sending him money and trusting him given that as a buyer he had reneged on quite a few purchases. My loss was another board member's gain though.
He was erratic, but he never really "scammed"anyone (or at least that I recall) and most of the time he was the one that came out on the bottom because of his flip flopping on a constant basis. Every card he bought he was going to "keep forever" and then "pass down to his nephew", but then a few days later he would sell it at a loss and buy something new with the idea of keeping that forever.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:39 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
He was erratic, but he never really "scammed"anyone (or at least that I recall) and most of the time he was the one that came out on the bottom because of his flip flopping on a constant basis. Every card he bought he was going to "keep forever" and then "pass down to his nephew", but then a few days later he would sell it at a loss and buy something new with the idea of keeping that forever.
Yeah, he did renege on a number of ebay purchases though, and with him in Canada -- and refusing to use a third party as an intermediary -- I just was not comfortable.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:36 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Yeah, he did renege on a number of ebay purchases though, and with him in Canada -- and refusing to use a third party as an intermediary -- I just was not comfortable.
Understandable, I never did a deal with him either.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:27 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Yeah, remember that MURR'Y card? He sold it to Kevin Quinn for less than 1/3 of what he paid for it.
Old 06-19-2016, 03:41 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Yeah, remember that MURR'Y card? He sold it to Kevin Quinn for less than 1/3 of what he paid for it.
Man, really bringing up the past now. Isn't Kevin Quinn the guy that got banned because he said he could hack this website. Then Leon put "idiot" next to his name telling him to hack that and fix it?
Old 06-19-2016, 04:00 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Man, really bringing up the past now. Isn't Kevin Quinn the guy that got banned because he said he could hack this website. Then Leon put "idiot" next to his name telling him to hack that and fix it?
That was him. I guess by hacking maybe he was thinking he can sneak back on and get past our low level security measures. I have good information he came back as an alias and was subsequently banned again. My guess is it will happen again.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:29 PM
Paul Herbener

Quote:
This is why I love this board!!
Old 06-19-2016, 05:14 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
As Leon said, that's him. Maybe during slow Sundays between auctions we should resurrect some "classic" moments on Net54. Maybe the Andrew Wagner should be next?
Old 06-19-2016, 05:24 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
As Leon said, that's him. Maybe during slow Sundays between auctions we should resurrect some "classic" moments on Net54. Maybe the Andrew Wagner should be next?
It all pales compared to Peter Chao.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:32 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
That's hilarious. This makes twice this week that I've burst in to uncontrollable laughter at something on this board.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:26 PM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
I've got to admit, diversions like that are sometimes quite welcome
Old 06-19-2016, 07:54 PM
Daryl

Quote:
It all pales compared to Peter Chao.

I would add Barkman and Chicago206 to the list.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:12 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
My "favorites" were the Bruces and Lichtman.

Quote:
Note to Self: Never get on Leon's bad side!

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 06-19-2016, 08:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
They had their moments, yes, but Chao was in a class by himself IMO. Any man who debuted with a post asking if Joe Jackson didn't wear shoes how did he avoid getting spiked. and went from there to reacting to the Virginia Tech shooting by wondering what would happen if Barry Bonds had a gun, has no peer.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:53 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

I think Cole Bartiromo deserves an honorable mention. I am sure we are all waiting with baited breath for the activation of his stealth accounts.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:40 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
My "favorites" were the Bruces and Lichtman.

Steve
I believe Jeff is still a member in good standing; however, could be wrong about that. As for Bruce, may he rest in peace.

Best regards,

Eric
Old 06-20-2016, 06:56 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default my vote

for most popcorn worthy participants would be in the following order - I have had no life for basically forever and followed them all. Each had their moments - some more consistently than others.....

Adrain
Barkman
Chao(S)

the Bruces (RIP) not so much
Old 06-20-2016, 07:03 AM
Peter Spaeth

#5 Report Post Old 04-17-2007, 03:15 PM
Administrator Join Date: Mar 2009

Default OT: At least 22 Dead at Virginia Tech

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted By: peter chao
It is an unimaginable tragedy, thirty-one young adults have died. It's a senseless shame. This is the reason that we play sports. It allows us to take out our agressions on the playing field. Can you imagine Barry Bonds with a gun, or Wilt Chamberlain with a gun. Thank God for sports.

Peter

FOLLOWED BY

#8 Report Post Old 04-17-2007, 04:00 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jason L.,

Maybe I'm exaggerating the importance of sports. But how about Jesse Owens at Hitler's Olympic games. Wasn't he in fact showing the master race, that blacks could compete. If I'm totally off-base let me know. Without doubt the killings were a tragedy, but think of what this world would be like without the Olympics every four years.

Peter

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-20-2016 at 07:07 AM.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:13 AM
Tom Boblitt

All the Armpit collectors vote for the Bruces.........
And they have made 3 deals whilst the rest of us were bickering.......

But..........RIP..........
Old 06-20-2016, 07:50 AM
An$on

My goodness

Quote:

It is an unimaginable tragedy, thirty-one young adults have died. It's a senseless shame. This is the reason that we play sports. It allows us to take out our agressions on the playing field. Can you imagine Barry Bonds with a gun, or Wilt Chamberlain with a gun. Thank God for sports.

Peter

FOLLOWED BY

Jason L.,

Maybe I'm exaggerating the importance of sports. But how about Jesse Owens at Hitler's Olympic games. Wasn't he in fact showing the master race, that blacks could compete. If I'm totally off-base let me know. Without doubt the killings were a tragedy, but think of what this world would be like without the Olympics every four years.

Peter
T207 (200/200)
E90-1 (118/121)
E90-3 (20/20)
E91A/B/C (85/99)
E93 (17/30)
E95 (12/25)
C59-61 (149/248)
N28/N29 (83/100)
W545 (158/200)
1901-02 Ogden Tabs (1,327/1,560)
1933-41 Goudey (265/478)
1934-36 Diamond Stars (53/108)
1939-41 Play Ball (368/473)

Complete: E47, E49, E50, E75, E76, E229, K4, N88, N91, R136, T29, T30, T38, T51, T53, T68, T73, T77, T118, T218, T220, T225, W512, W513, W542, W552, W565

Founder:
www.prewarcards.com
Old 06-20-2016, 10:17 AM
Anthøny N. ex

Default When the Bruces threatened to sue Archive

Default Who is Archive and why is he using our name?
In his post with regard to the 1938 Goudey Archive attributes a post to us
that we never made.

We take our posts very seriously, and we believe that attributing a post to
someone else is a crime.

Archive please issue am immediate apology. We are prepared to take further
action, if necessary

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List

the full thread, the fun really begins on page 5
http://net54baseball.com/showthread....+goudey&page=1

Last edited by Griffins; 06-20-2016 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:21 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

There can't be better only different. RIP Bruces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins View Post
Default Who is Archive and why is he using our name?
In his post with regard to the 1938 Goudey Archive attributes a post to us
that we never made.

We take our posts very seriously, and we believe that attributing a post to
someone else is a crime.

Archive please issue am immediate apology. We are prepared to take further
action, if necessary

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List

the full thread, the fun really begins on page 5
http://net54baseball.com/showthread....+goudey&page=1

Last edited by Leon; 06-20-2016 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:23 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:

Peter

FOLLOWED BY

Jason L.,

Peter
Okay, the part about pondering what specific people might do if they had a gun and no sports outlet is dumb, but I think his greater point is valid.

Sports are an outlet for normal competitiveness. And the Olympics do draw people from different countries together. Americans cheering for Olga Korbut going through her gymnastic routines, for instance, has a real subliminal effect in making people realize that while governments sometimes have idiot leaders, people from different nations are generally very much like us.

I've always felt that in Europe in 1944, let's say, the average American and average German soldiers didn't hate each other at all... they probably both hated Hitler for being put in the ridiculous position of having to try to kill each other to survive.

Sports wouldn't be so universally popular if they didn't serve some real purpose. Part of that purpose is directing things like aggression, physical release of adrenaline, community or national pride and identification, the desire to be victorious (even if our actual role is to sit on a couch with a bag of Doritos cheering for our team,) into contests that are governed by rules, and don't involve bloodshed (boxing aside.)

Here in Minnesota, the Sioux Indians (in the south) used to send raiding parties against the Chippewa Indians (in the north) with regularity. Now, we send the Vikings over to Wisconsin and let them bring us glory by beating the Packers.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:51 AM
Peter Spaeth

Yeah if I didn't have sports teams to release my aggression vicariously I would be out there committing violent acts.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:59 AM

This is just a hunch but maybe the Sioux and Chippewa ceased fighting each other because we killed both of them and took their land, then relegated them each to reserves that we didn't want.