NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-14-2007, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Default Don't mean to bring attention to a sale, but

Posted By: Ed McCollum

Lance has a card in the B/S/T area that is a Collins T206. He lists that the card has a minor stain on back. Isn't it actually a ghost image from another card? Flip it horizontally, and it is a red B with a collar and button area for another card, but I can't make out who it is. Wish I could afford it, no matter what.

Ed

Old 03-14-2007, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John

Looks like a faint wet sheet transfer of Charlie Starr.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:44 PM
Administrator

my guess would be this destroys the idea of the card being printed in strips. But then again, even in sheets, it seems strange another player is resting under Collins....

Ed

Old 03-14-2007, 02:28 PM
Administrator

I think T206’s were printed in sheets; I have very little doubt of that.

I don’t find it that strange; I would assume the sheets would have been stacked on top of one another before the cutting process. So the bottom sheet below Collins must have still been damp hence the faint ghost of Charlie Starr above.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

who is cooler than john?

that was awesome detective work.

Perry Mason, MacGyver, WonkaTicket.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Joe, stop you’ll make me blush……

MacGyver would have made the Starr from a few tooth picks a stick of chewing gum and a set of jumper cables though…. so in a way he’s a lot cooler.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Lets say the cards where printed on a lithograph that could handle a 28" x 40" sheet, like any larger printer today. You'd plate up the press, and start. But each sheet as it came off the press would have the same players in the same position. Collins should rest on top of Collins, as long as that was the set of plates on the press. At the end of that press run, a new set of plates are placed on press, and a different run of players starts. So as the sheets come off the press, how is it that Starr was on the sheet just below Collins when he came off the press? If is were a change of plates, Starr certainly would have had enough time to dry before the sheet with Collins on it started through, and even then, what about pre-run to make sure everything was in register?

Not trying to argue, John, I have a couple cards with Piedmont over the image of the player on front, but haven't seen that many with a player image on back over the brand, so this struck me as strange.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Fair point Ed. I see 2 possibilities that could explain this all of which are wild speculation on my part, which is true for most of us as none of us have any first hand experience printing T206s.

#1. Perhaps the print shop had several printing presses in use, and the other machine was running the sheet with Starr, then it was laid on to the pile with the Collins card.

#2. Maybe that was the last run of the days printing of the Collins the plates were then changed incorporating Starr for the next run of the printing process, then the Starr sheet still wet was stacked on top of the Collins sheet.

We will never know for sure though. However the fact that we don’t have an uncut sheet does not make me think that some other process was involved with printing these cards. We have many uncut sheets from the era which represent similar style lithography printing.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

A print shop can have more than one press.
So, more than one form can be run at one time and then sent to the cutter.

Also... letting a job dry before cutting (a whole day or over a weekend) is not all that uncommon even today. If you coat a job, you can cut it right away - but I don't think they coated T206s or any jobs back then. If I printed a sheet of cards without coating, I would definitely wait a day (or maybe longer) before cutting.

Some colors don't dry as quickly as others... sometimes there is a problem with a sheet from the mill where the ink doesn't soak in good... sometimes the formulation of ink can be bad.

There are a whole bunch of "sheets" reasons that would account for a different player ghost on the back of a card.

edit to say: John beat me to it.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

It's good to have the knowledge of a professional printer on board!