NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-19-2003, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Default Mastro ends tonight!

Posted By: Jay Cee 

Just a friendly reminder for everyone!!!

Old 12-19-2003, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

Old 12-20-2003, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

still, I'm having cold angst for breakfast rather than warm gestalt: zero for four, underbidder in all.

How 'bout that Tip Top Bread lot!

Old 12-20-2003, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I cannot believe what prices are like. I don't know whether to be dismayed because I can't afford anything or thrilled because everything I own is so valuable.

I guess if I decide to liquidate my collection, Mastro is gonna get a call.

Old 12-20-2003, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

The selection is so poor that I'm wondering if the market is drying up. Could it be that the internet has made vintage cards TOO accessible? We now have a constant influx of new collectors into the hobby, but no additional vintage cards are being created to handle the demand and there are only so many old attics remaining to be looted. Perhaps collectors sense this and are panicking and buying up anything they can get, at prices that seem inflated?

By contrast, the assortment of '50 and '60s stuff seemed just as good as in previous auctions.

Old 12-20-2003, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

Right on the money. It is a real seller's market now on pre-war (WWI) cards, particularly graded cards.

Old 12-20-2003, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JC

Do you think the Tip-Top lot went to cheap or not enough? I like the T-3's in tonight's session.. Can't bid though...

Old 12-20-2003, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

and I'm high bidder. I hadn't bid for a week--just bid for the first time (in the last week) at 10:45 Central time. Got lots of decafinated coffee (which does have some caffine in it) to keep me company...Bob's gone to bed. Rode home from a metting with a friend of Sam Chapman's daughter, so I looked him up in the Baseball Encyclopedia, and called her with the Major League dope. Mark's going to let me know who he played for in the Minors tomorrow. She was real nice (lady who gave me a ride) and let me use her cell phone 3 TIMES to check on my card--and I bid right before I got home, excpecting there to be a limit bid, and wanting to find out what the thing was going to cost me (minimum). But-look Ma, no ceiling bid! GREAT! (I gave her 2 dollars for using her phone--is that enough?

Old 12-20-2003, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

I personally got drubbed in Mastro, man the prices are going out of sight on caramel cards! I was high bidder on an old Donald Duck comic book almost all week at about $500, checked the lead bid Wednesday (final) night, figuring to go to $800 only to discover the book was at $5000. Unfriggingbelievable....

Old 12-20-2003, 11:28 PM
Administrator

mine's just sitting there. I've got a callback, but it's on the phone in the study; if I go to bed, and switch the callback in there, it'll wake Bob. Yurg. I have a tour to give tomorrow...

Old 12-20-2003, 11:49 PM
Administrator

I noticed the Cleveland Fatima is described as "crystal clear," but the larger image doesn't look any clearer than mine, which maddeningly gets a bit blurry just as it gets to Jackson.

Someone said that Mastro would have to use more SGC graded cards; he certainly has a number in this auction
(I never noticed before, because as far as I'm concerned, the holder is incidental, and comes off when the card arrives)--I never bid on anything higher than a 6 or its equivalent.

Old 12-21-2003, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Thomas

Prices crazy PSA8 Kell $12,000 with the 15%. More than the PSA 8 E92 Young.

Old 12-21-2003, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

I saw the PSA 8 E92 Young at a show here in Chicago.

My opinion:
I'd MUCH rather be the winner of the 48 Leafs - if you know what I mean.

Old 12-21-2003, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

An SGC 5 Mayo Wilbert Robinson--$1,685--that's less than 2K with premium, insurance and shipping (it's lot number 2084) Would be interested in knowing others' winnings.

I only bid twice: a week ago, and last night at 10:45.

W. Robinson is not the most glorious of Mayos--I love David Rudd's photo of him, straddling a chair backwards, directing the Dodgers in late middle age (in fact, I won that as well, and it came yesterday). The Mayo is a very stiff portrait, much like the Anson in that set--except Anson is so striking looking, he can get away with it.

Tring to get all the 19th century HOFers in 19th century cards, photos and woodcuts--even if they're famous for something they did in the 20th c. I have a Hanlon OJ, but my favorite is his Fan Craze. Looks like something out of "Topsy Turvey," dressed to the nines, with a supercilleous little smile.

Old 12-21-2003, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Seaborn

Julie, I was the underbidder on that Mayo Robinson. I thought I might sneak out with it. I thought you'd be in the bidding fray for that card after looking at your want list. Glad a board member got it, now I don't feel as bad for having bowed out. Dave

Old 12-21-2003, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe_G.

With my narrow 19th century Detroit scope, little piqued my interest. But I am curious who picked up lot #1789 (SGC 70 Gypsy Queen & 2 SGC 86 Old Judges)? $2,004 winning bid ($2,305 after 15% fee) isn't as bad as others. That is probably what ebay would have brought for those three cards. Also wonder who won the 19th century scrapbook, lot #2082?

Old 12-22-2003, 07:48 AM
Administrator