NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-22-2014, 09:15 AM
Jimi

Default Once upon an "E" time....

Once upon an "E" time, we used Peter Calderon's site at http://www.caramel-cards.com/cards.html as a reference to help in our "E" card expeditions. For those who are too lazy to click the link or just want to see an overall chart, see below.

E90-1 The most commonly found.
E95 Commonly found.
E92 Dockman Commonly found.
E91 Commonly found.
E98 A little harder to find, borderline difficult.
E94 Very difficult.
E102 Very difficult.
E92 Croft's Cocoa Very difficult - almost as hard as Nadjas.
E92 Nadja Very difficult.
E103 Very difficult.
E99 & E100 Extremely difficult.
E105 Extremely difficult.
E104 Extremely difficult.

How accurate do we feel this list is now. Is it time for an update? I don't believe Peter has the time now-a-days, but maybe I'm wrong.

I can't speak for all of these sets, but I do see most of these available in either Auction Houses or in the BSTs. I can tell you that I put together an E98 set relatively quick last year (3-4 months, maybe?), but I didn't work on the master set. Tim Kindler can certainly tell you that it took YEARS to assemble the 120-card master set! ("Hey, Tim!")

Where are we at on this list? Thoughts? Are prices reflecting this list? Is it outdated?

Jimi
jimivintage@yahoo.com
Jimi
Old 10-22-2014, 09:31 AM

Frankly I never thought the E97 set was difficult to find, but that I guess is just me.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:48 AM
pete ullman

one thing that was not discussed in Peter C's analysis back then was rarities within each set...so while e90-1 is easy to find...some cards are very tough. I think his guidelines still ring somewhat true today...although there are a lot of e97 black and whites on the bay right now...you'd better get em before Peter does!
Old 10-22-2014, 09:50 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Part of this is going to depend on how you want to view the cards.

E92 Nadja's for instance, finding a single example is not difficult. Bresnahan is super easy, probably about the same as a regular dockman. But, I'm not aware of any complete sets. The highest on the SGC registry is still missing several cards. Plus there are some cards that have not been confirmed based on pop reports and threads here.

As complete sets, 97, e90-2, and e90-3 don't seem that difficult. Also seem like e103 seem to be popping up fairly regularly lately.

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 10-22-2014, 09:57 AM
pete ullman

good points dj...additionally there are some collectors hoarding certain player cards...and in a comprehensive current evaluation of caramel difficulties...this needs to be addressed as well...as finding dots miller fielding cards has become much more of a challenge in many sets.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:13 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: Once upon an "E" time....

My random thoughts:

1) The E92 Nadjas need to be separated into the St. Louis and non-St. Louis players. There was a giant hoard of St. Louis players found a few decades ago and they've become failry common lately.

2) Similarly, E104 should be divided into the three subsets they're classified under. The -1s and -2s are just difficult; the -3s are nigh on impossible.

3) E102s are also rather more common than Pete's list would suggest. not sure if that's a recent phenomenon, but the E101s are now more difficult.

4) The rapid price escalation of 5-6 years ago brought many caramels out of the woodwork. As others have observed, E97, E90-2 and E90-3 among others are no longer as difficult as Pete's list would suggest.

I hope Pete can add his opinions to this discussion. There are few people in the hobby who are as well versed in these issues as he is.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:07 PM
Jimi

I guess the availability of some of these comes down to whenever someone gets tired of looking at them and offers them up somewhere. Every time I see an E105 Mello Mint available, I click on the link.....and then cry when I see the price....and I realize that I will never own one! LOL

Is there anyone out there in Net54Land that is actively researching E cards at all that might be able to offer "a new perspective" on this list.
jimivintage@yahoo.com
Jimi
Old 10-22-2014, 06:41 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I pretty much concur with what my good friend, Ed, said above. And to add a bit more of what has been mentioned, a type from any of those sets listed is not too difficult. A particular player or variation can be super tough, if not impossible, though. And As someone who really enjoys trying to collect the rarest cards I think it's great, as how time has gone by, certain caramel issues are still rarely seen. Peter (hi Peter) didn't go into the really esoteric, mainly minor league issues, such as E221, E222 etc... but when I see one I always raise an eyebrow .
Old 10-22-2014, 07:04 PM
Jimi

LOL.....nice, DJ! And just like that an E105 is now available in the BST!
jimivintage@yahoo.com
Jimi
Old 10-22-2014, 07:14 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

jimi, you mentioned it . I've actually had it on ebay a few times the last couple months with a few watchers but no one has picked it up yet. If you keep your eyes open, you can occasionally find a beater in the $125-$200 range (as long as Daryl doesn't need it). If you have any e92 Nadja's that I don't already have, I'm certainly willing to trade as well.

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 10-22-2014, 08:56 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimivintage View Post
... Every time I see an E105 Mello Mint available, I click on the link.....and then cry when I see the price...

Mello mints will make you shed more tears than this guy, but I love 'em.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:18 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
Mello mints will make you shed more tears than this guy, but I love 'em.

Sounds like E221 or E222 when I see them I cringe....and the wheels start turning.

Last edited by Leon; 10-27-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:23 PM
Jimi

There are quite a few e97-2 listed on EBay right now for a lot of money. Blank back black and whites? Crazy!

And on a side note, only 15 e97s have been sold on EvilBay in the last 2 months.
jimivintage@yahoo.com
Jimi