NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-11-2017, 07:38 PM
Tim B
Banned

Default PLEASE Help with an SGC Flip for a new guy

Is this legit? I know there's been a few and I trust the seller. But still not sure...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (11.0 KB, 395 views)
Old 03-11-2017, 07:42 PM
Ken McMillan

Loos good
Old 03-11-2017, 07:51 PM
Tim B
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
Loos good
Phew! Thanks so much. Chasing the set and nabbed this one as well. High grade which will be out of place with my SGC 50 Mickey Mantle and other ungraded 3-4-5's. Both felt like good deals without detectable shill bidding. Gotta love Saturday afternoon on eBay...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (10.3 KB, 380 views)
Old 03-11-2017, 07:53 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbegs View Post
Phew! Thanks so much. Chasing the set and nabbed this one as well. High grade which will be out of place with my SGC 50 Mickey Mantle and other ungraded 3-4-5's. Both felt like good deals without detectable shill bidding. Gotta love Saturday afternoon on eBay...
Nice cards. Saturday afternoons are great but I love those sellers that end stuff on weekday mornings.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:09 PM
Tim B
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Nice cards. Saturday afternoons are great but I love those sellers that end stuff on weekday mornings.
Mislisted cards are the best.

I've always loved the look of this set. Such nice color and pretty good star power for an off the run card maker of the early 1950s. And I always wish that they would have had one more; a 34th card in the set featuring Willie Mays. It would have to be with the red background so Willie Mickey and Duke each have their OWN color...

Twelve down, twenty one to go...

Last edited by Timbegs; 03-11-2017 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Not 33 to go, twenty one
Old 03-11-2017, 08:15 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

I don't think Gus Zernial warrants many shenanigans on the slabbing front.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:34 PM
Tim B
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
I don't think Gus Zernial warrants many shenanigans on the slabbing front.
Elicited a good chuckle. Just the flip looked off, font wise. I know the new one and some of the older ones, too. My guess is the Zernial holder will have the gold sticker on back? More familiar with the Hegan flip - most of mine match that one...

Last edited by Timbegs; 03-11-2017 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Don't not don't
Old 03-11-2017, 08:45 PM
James
James Kin.chen

This is one of my favorite sets. I completed my set several months ago and am half way through a second set. Are you doing all SGC graded cards? Do you have a Gus Bell?
James
Old 03-11-2017, 09:05 PM
Tim B
Banned

I do in the VG range. Like I said, high grade is out of character. Yes on SGC. I'd almost like to trade down - get mid grade in numbers for someone chasing high grade. But I'll need them in hand first, of course.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:03 AM
Glyn Parson

Default What's

What is the cheapest thing we have seen in a good faked slab? I think its value exceeds this by a zero or 2, does it not?
Old 03-12-2017, 10:43 AM
Tim B
Banned

Whether a card is worth 1,000,000.00 or 1.00, it's still ok to try to learn, right?

The question was about the flip - because there have been several SGC incarnations. While I found a nice history thread of PSA flips, I could not find one (with pictures) that explained the subtle differences on SGC over the years. From what I understand and read here, there's four different flips but I seem to see subtle variations in font, as well. I'm a longtime collector but a novice to grading history. I come here to steal your smarts. Upfront and honest always - to a fault, I am.

I use SGC (I was not far from both NJ offices) but have had maybe 50 cards graded and all since 2010. I collect mostly 1950s cards with an emphasis on Mickey Mantle, 1953 Bowman and recently, Red Hearts. All mid grade because of budget AND aesthetics. I buy by eye appeal and price, not grade. I could probably pay a little more now that I am older and have a job and all that but I stick tot the principals of my youth when it comes to the glorious hobby we share.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:06 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Honestly

Honestly wasn't intended as a dig but more a question of how low have the reslabbers gone in dollar value with their fraud? I have not seen any good cheap fakes and honestly have not heard of any good fakes except on the mexican cartel cards. i think it is a problem but like many things these days i think the net makes the problem seem more pervasive than it is. But it is always best to check so I apologize if my comments seemed insensitive.

Last edited by glynparson; 03-12-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:00 PM
Tim B
Banned

I think it was a dig. A fair one, at that. I am in the wrong thread to boot! But I wanted advise from one of the best sources I have found - the Net54 community.

Thanks again, to all
Old 03-12-2017, 12:16 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
Honestly wasn't intended as a dig but more a question of how low have the reslabbers gone in dollar value with their fraud? I have not seen any good cheap fakes and honestly have not heard of any good fakes except on the mexican cartel cards. i think it is a problem but like many things these days i think the net makes the problem seem more pervasive than it is. But it is always best to check so I apologize if my comments seemed insensitive.
I know of 5 counterfeit 1989 Bill Ripken FF error cards in PSA slabs. PSA put them there though. I did send in a raw counterfeit of the same card to SGC and they rejected it as counterfeit. Real 89 Fleer Bill Ripken FF error cards sell for less than $20.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:39 PM
Glyn Parson

Default that is different

but i agree it is alarming in a different way.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:58 PM
Tim B
Banned

I remember, a year or so ago, seeing a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle that was advertised as a fake in a PSA holder and under close scrutiny (as close as you can from a hi res scan, anyway) you just couldn't tell. The description said he made them himself and even the number - lifted from eBay auctions - would checkout if entered. Hologram right, clean sides and edges on case, and the card looked PERFECT - probably a cracked case and printed flip - but the thing was flawlessly made. (Yes, I've seen cheap versions - this had craftsmanship). Again, advertised as a forgery.

Went for just under a grand.

These people should be fed to hungry pigs - buyer and seller.

A small part of the reason why I have a hard time shelling out big bucks for nice cards despite an overwhelming desire to do so. Two of my favorites - Mickey and 53 Bowman Color - may be two of the leads in the hobby in reprints.

Caveat emptor, indeed.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:11 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbegs View Post
I think it was a dig. A fair one, at that. I am in the wrong thread to boot! But I wanted advise from one of the best sources I have found - the Net54 community.

Thanks again, to all
I didn't take Glyns response as a dig either, more of a if they're faking this card in an authentic looking holder and flip we are really in trouble. I agree with his assessment.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:26 PM
Tim B
Banned

And I was just having some fun. It's a hobby for me, not a living. That's why I live in the midgrade world. There are some VG/EX that outshine 6 and 7s. I know, I have a few. My SGC 50/4 1953B Whitey Ford is stunning. I think, anyway...