NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-10-2005, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Default Mayo Cut Plug

Posted By: Shane Killian

Can anyone share any information on how to spot fakes and reprints of Mayo Cut Plug cards? I'm going to take a look at a guys collection with the intent of buying this week and I've never had any experience with these cards

Old 07-10-2005, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Default Mayo Cut Plug

Posted By: Julie

with black ink when they chip or the color wears thin. The spot of touch up should flouresce--unless, of course, it was done 60 years ago, and then you're back at square one...

I have NEVER gotten a Mayo at list price (for the grade), so I would imagine a collection of them would also be somewhat higher than you would figure by calculating.

Edited to remove several typos...YURG.

Old 07-10-2005, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Default Mayo Cut Plug

Posted By: John

I would definitely attempt to find a collector relatively close to you that has some Mayo's in his/her collection. Inspect the characteristics of wear. The cards also have a unique "feel" to them not unlike many other issues. I have seen N300's and N302 reprints that have the appearance of a legitimate card but upon closer inspection are fakes.

Old 07-10-2005, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Default Mayo Cut Plug

Posted By: Dan Koteles

who are the players ???

Old 07-10-2005, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Default Mayo Cut Plug

Posted By: Shane Killian

He told me two of the Mayo's he has are Ward and Ganzel. Whether he has more is yet to be seen. It's a guy who has a case at one of the antique malls nearby. he was putting cards in his case one day while i was there and we struck up conversation and he started telling me all these cards he has, but i'm not quite sure why he doesnt have them for sale at the antique store. Hopefully I come out with a few nice things

Old 07-10-2005, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Default Mayo Cut Plug

Posted By: Dan Koteles

I have had the Ward twice and both times regret selling it.

Dan

Old 07-11-2005, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Default Mayo Cut Plug

Posted By: Julie Vognar

of Ben, and repeating for the 100th time that I didn't have any duplicates of my 19th century cards--I realized that one of my Mayo Wards was (almost) a duplicate, sio I traded him the "2nd base" one, keeping the "retired."

I believe Ben's Ward was one of the stolen ones, but he may possibly have traded it...a tradin' fool, Ben. Often he trades stuff befroe he's even seen it!

ONE MORE THING: The Ward retired is more valuable than the Ward 2nd base; the Ewing Cleveland is better than the other Ewing; the Glasscock Pittsburgh is less desirable than the other. That IS John Clarkson, even though he never played for St. Louis--they got his brother's team by mistake. (The SCD guide has some of the pairs backwards as far as value is concerned).

Old 07-11-2005, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Default Mayo Cut Plug

Posted By: Elliot