NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-09-2005, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Default Scotch Tape Stains

Posted By: George

Does anyone know how to remove scotch tape stains? I mean REAL scotch tape stains, from 1951........not the modern clear plastic tape of today. I have a bunch of 1951 Bowmans which were taped onto pages. The original cardboard is perfectly intact, but the tape left a brown stain which has leached into the card. I have tried various solvents. Most do nothing, although others remove some of the stain, but also remove some of the ink (which is not good). I have at least 50 of these cards, so there is room to experiment. Or does anyone know of an outside service that can do this?

Any help is gratefully appreciated.

Old 03-09-2005, 10:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

One of the early editions of the Beckett & Eckes Sports Americana price guides recommended the solvent toluene. This is a very harsh chemical. However, according to the article printed in the price guide, it is safe to actually soak the entire card in toluene. The tape then falls off, leaving behind a tape stain. The stain can then be removed by dipping a Q-Tip into the toluene and gently rubbing the card.

The author of the article emphasized that he had tried this procedure only on 1952 Bowmans, and he removed the tape from an entire complete set. Since your cards are 1951 Bowmans, they are probably made of the same paper and ink.

I tried this on a 1964 Topps Mantle with less than stellar results. The tape came off, but so did some ink. If I was in your position, I would probably try it on my weakest condition common card and see what happens.

Old 03-10-2005, 01:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JJ

I have tried and had excellent results with toluene. The major drawback is that you can never get the card graded, that is unless you send it to PRO. The chemicals will leave a residue that will be picked up under a black light.

Old 03-10-2005, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason

How long do you let it soak for?

Old 03-10-2005, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: mcavoy

Good question, so I looked around. Preservation courses start at about $1000. The use of chemicals may cause long-term degradation to the paper, but so may the tape residue: this suggestion seems easy enough to try on a low grade common; however, I do not know you have a pressure sensitive tape, for which this procedure is recommended (maybe you have a polymer based adhesive?):

http://ianrpubs.unl.edu/homemgt/nf138.htm

"Adhesives and Tapes.
Most pastes and glues are acidic and cause damage to paper, and stains. The residue of the adhesive from pressure-sensitive tapes remains on the paper after the tapes have fallen off. There is usually no remedy for the dark brown stain resulting. Although paper conservators may be able to remove the stain, it is difficult. A hair dryer can be used first to warm the tape or adhesive. Then very gently scrape off or clean the adhesive with a vinyl eraser."

Go to your local public library and request this article:
http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/carfax/cjsa/2002/00000023/00000002/art00004

Old 03-10-2005, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Sarah

I work at 3M in the Consumer and Office Supplies Division. (We make Post-it Notes and Scotch Tape.) I have forwarded your question to a co-worker of mine and will try to provide an answer for you.

You might want to get on to www.3M.com. There may be a way for you to get in touch with some people from the Stationary Products Division and they should know how to handle this problem. They have to test all sorts of weird things with the tape.

I don't know if I can help you out too much, but I hope this is another option for you to check.

Sarah

Old 03-10-2005, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Marquette

I have a gorgeous orange E98 Bresnahan with a tape stain on the back. I am hesitant to fool around with it because of the age of the paper. Has anyone tried removal on 1910ish cards?

Old 03-10-2005, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

I can recommend Fraser Spafford Ricci,located in the Pacific Northwest, who are conservators for such institutions as the Vancouver Art Gallery and the Seattle Art Museum http://www.fsrconservation.com

While their services are not cheap, they have done some amazing work in the art and paper restoration field. They'll tell you what can be done to remove stains, and whether it fact it can be done.

Max

Old 03-10-2005, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

This is the Barker back of my Zeenut Fred McMullen. There are TWO pieces of tape on the back; they serve no useful purpose, as the card is not falling apart anywhere. But I don't DARE take them off, for fear part of the card would come away with them--it certainly would.

This is the M101-4 Ruth I recently sold. You can't see the very faint marks where there were four pieces of tape, experetly removed by someone Lew Lipset hired, before selling it to me.--the marks are more or less just to the side of the four corners. There is nothing but a VERY slight loss of gloss. The card does not floresce anywhere, at all. It took GAI two weeks to decide they wouldn't grade it (two-day turnaround).

Old 03-10-2005, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean

I'll take a round, make mine a single malt.

Julie, nice Ruth, I have been searching for one in similar condition, I wish that I had known about that one.

Regards all, Sean.

Old 03-11-2005, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Sarah

I was talking to someone from the lab and they said that the stains were probably from acid in the tape. Any recommendations they would have could ruin the card. They suggested talking to Shinder's.

Good luck.
Sarah

Old 03-11-2005, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted

I did a google search on toluene, and found there are multiple formulas that carry the generic name. Anybody have any specifics on the specific chemical formula to use, and where to get it?

Ted
Fantasy? Reality? Interchangable!

Old 03-11-2005, 10:13 AM
Administrator

otherwise, leave it to a good professional at $100-$200 per hour)--he also recommends Toluene. Dab it on a q-tip swab, and gently rub the area.

+++++++++++

I did a Google search, too. EEEEEEk! It sounds like somethning you'd only use with all the windows and doors open and a gas mask on...

Old 03-12-2005, 03:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jj

You can buy toluene at Wal-Mart in a gal size. You can also try a hobby shop that has paint supplies to buy in a smaller qty. I use toluene in the service for 20 yrs. it isnt as bad as they make it out to be. If you plan on using toulene use gloves because if it gets into an open cut it will burn you and there is a strong order that comes with this product. When doing my cards( T & M types) I dap a little on the tape and then scrap it off, reapply and let it sit for a few minutes NOT letting it dry out, then put into water to get most of the chemical out. Place the card between 2 pieces of glass with some type of weight on it. In about 24 - 36 hrs the card should be dry enough to handle. Again,I have never had any of these cards graded because it will leave a residue that a black light will pick up.

Old 03-12-2005, 03:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jj

You can buy toluene at Wal-Mart in a gal size. You can also try a hobby shop that has paint supplies to buy in a smaller qty. I use toluene in the service for 20 yrs. it isnt as bad as they make it out to be. If you plan on using toulene use gloves because if it gets into an open cut it will burn you and there is a strong order that comes with this product. When doing my cards( T & M types) I dap a little on the tape and then scrap it off, reapply and let it sit for a few minutes NOT letting it dry out, then put into water to get most of the chemical out. Place the card between 2 pieces of glass with some type of weight on it. In about 24 - 36 hrs the card should be dry enough to handle. Again,I have never had any of these cards graded because it will leave a residue that a black light will pick up.

Old 03-12-2005, 10:55 AM
Administrator

and there is only the slightest trace of gloss-loss where the tape was. Does anyone know Lew well enough to ask him a question (quiver)? Oh, the card still won't grade, but it looks great...

Maybe the tape was the modern type that doesn't show, and was only on there for about 5 minutes...but this seems highly unlikely.