NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-07-2007, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Default Extensive article by David Rudd Cycleback now in Alterations section....

Posted By: Brian McQueen

Folks,

Just letting you all know that David Rudd's (Cycleback) article titled
"Judging the Authenticity of Early (Pre-1930) Baseball Cards" has been added to our Card Alterations section as well. David was kind enough to put this in PDF format for us so it is easy to download and print if you would like. Thank you, David, for providing us with this very detailed and educational resource. It's much appreciated!

edited title to correct name...

Old 12-07-2007, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Default Extensive article by David Rudd Cycleback now in Alterations section....

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

This package of information may constitute the textbook for a course in the subject, however, there are questions. Do we have the capability, vehicle and interest in an open forum to address inquiries regarding requests for clarification, definition, and other uncertainties related to the subject matter?

Old 12-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Larry

This is one of the best articles for anyone with lots of knowledge or no knowledge at all, to educate themselves about printing history. Thank you For Sharing Your Expertise on Historical Printing.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DMcD

Request for clarification: Say what??!?

Old 12-07-2007, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

David R was nice enough to let us use his stuff for Net54. Let's don't be an ungrateful recipient, or seem like one. If you have questions concerning his data why don't you email him privately? That would seem like a more friendly way of doing it, to me. I think everything we do on the board is open to questioning but sometimes it's nice to be nice too, and just let things go....best regards

Old 12-07-2007, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

...and here all this time I thought your last name really WAS Cycleback

Old 12-07-2007, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred Y

David--

I Thank You for your FINE research & allowing it to be displayed on Net54!

Old 12-07-2007, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

His last name isn't Cycleback?

Old 12-07-2007, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

David's articles are outstanding, and a tremendous source of valuable information. You're truly a wealth of knowledge, David, and I appreciate your knowledge and the info you've contributed.

Thanks,
-Al

Old 12-07-2007, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: G. Maines

Leon:
Did you consider that my insidious ulterior motive could be that I do not fully understand all of the information which David has shared with us? And that the reason to not keep it private, could be that I am not alone in this?

Come on, this stuff is important to us all. It is the heart of what we do. A full understanding of our collectibles! Who wouldn't want that?

DRCycleback and I have no problems which impede an open and honest exchange in private, but my motivation was to not keep my inquiries secret. Just the opposite. An open discussion could draw out others who can gain substantially from a little insight.

This time, before I pressed SEND I went back and reread your comments, Leon. And upon the second reading, it seems more as if you think I challenge some of David's statements or conclusions. Now, I am truly honored. But I assure you that I am not qualified to be this artist's paintbrush carrier's apprentice.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Simeone

Dave,
Very nicely done! Im still reading all the pages but its a great source and a very intresting read! Keep up the good work!

Old 12-07-2007, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

David, Ive probably never mentioned it, but this was one of the first articles I read when I started collecting prewar cards. The article was invaluable.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: George

That's great that we now have David's card authentication article on this site! I have read through the cycleback website numerous times and the breadth of knowledge and quick tips to identify authentic/altered cards is amazing!

David, thanks for adding this to the site. Your help is always greatly appreciated!!!

George

Old 12-08-2007, 06:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

It seemed as though you were looking a gift horse in the mouth. IF you weren't, then my apologies. There is an appropriate place and time to question things and I didn't think this was the right time to be questioning David's "gift". You, as much as anyone, should know that almost everything that gets said on this board, or done, gets scrutinized to the "nth" degree. I think that is one of the things that makes folks not want to post. I know I feel that way sometimes. I will never forget Kit Young's first post/thread. He was barely in the front door before someone kicked him for a very old issue. That made me sick..... As for this minor issue, no harm no foul. Also, I do greatly thank David for allowing this information to be used on our site. It's a great resource. I always feel the collaborative approach is best in these kinds of sections, hence the different contributors....just as the archives will be when they get instituted....best regards

Old 12-08-2007, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I take no offense from Gil. Gil's a good guy and I know him. As one can see, most of the guide is common sense stuff and tips (compare gloss, use reputable graders, etc). The more technical stuff, examining with black light and microscope, are standard techniques and were used long before me (though I think I was the first to apply it to baseball cards). Hitler's diaries and Man Ray fakes were identified as fakes in part with black lights-- black light showed that the paper and/or other materials were Post-WWII.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Thanks for your contribution. Your post was also well-done, so there's no need to edit it.

Peter C.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

David - is Cycleback really a family name? I thought it was a username, as in "T206 with Cycle back."

Old 12-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

If you write me a check to David Rudd and/or Cycleback, it'll cash-- and that's all that matters in the US. If you write me a check to Jones, you'll find out I'm no Jones.

According to the US 2nd grade math tests, Icelanders don't exist, as the test only recognizes people with middle names.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

...that's exactly what I thought. Wish it were my real last name (sigh.)

Old 12-08-2007, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed Ivey

Though I don't personally know either of the two men, somehow I think Cycleback-Saucier would make a great grading company.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

David C.

I know that authentication is your forte and you've appeared in Court as an expert witness for authenticating documents. I'd like to know how you got into the field and what items did you first start out authenticating.

Peter C.