NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-11-2011, 07:20 PM
Pete Sycks

Default help with consigning

What would be the top 5 auction houses to consign an item? Aka lowest consigning fee / quickest payouts. Any help would be great
Thanks
Old 05-11-2011, 08:33 PM
Robert Williams

Goodwin charges 0% consignment fee. Robert Edwards pays out fast and seems to obtain high prices. Memory Lane paid out fast, although their prices weren't as high as REA's. But ML has more than one auction per year. It all depends on what you are after.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 05-11-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Goodwin charges 0% consignment fee. Robert Edwards pays out fast and seems to obtain high prices. Memory Lane paid out fast, although their prices weren't as high as REA's. But ML has more than one auction per year. It all depends on what you are after.
the consignment fees are only half the financial equation - the BP is just as critical as any consignment fees. I believe B&L and Lew Lipsett offer the lowest total fees for a consignor.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:20 AM
Larry

My best experiences have been with Bill Goodwin.

Good luck,

Larry
Old 05-12-2011, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Robert Edwards pays out fast and seems to obtain high prices.
Consign with REA today and you'll get paid out in...oh, about one year exactly.

But that raises another point - advances on consignments. I understand certain auction houses will give you pre-sale funds advances on certain consignments. If you need money pronto, you might look into this.

Cheers,
Blair

Last edited by Bosox Blair; 05-12-2011 at 01:30 AM.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:40 AM
Pete Sycks

Thanks for the help guys
Old 05-12-2011, 06:53 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Don't forget to negotiate; if you have good stuff you can get a very low or even zero commission.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-12-2011, 07:14 AM
Tom Boblitt

Almost all the auction houses will give an advance for top shelf stuff. If you have a VG T206 Cobb, don't expect an advance. If you have a large batch of good quality, in demand items, shop around and see what people will offer. Legendary and REA offered nice advances on item's I've sold with them including a T206 near set. Just ensure that you put it down on paper and minimize your costs and maximize what the amount returned to you will be. If you go with the larger auction houses, be prepared to have your items placed into the larger type lots. They are looking to maximize the per lot averages in their auctions and minimize the number of pages printed in catalogs. The more boutique-type auctions like B&L will lot things in smaller lots which could net you more. Be sure to get any of those type items explained and agreed to up front.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:04 AM
Michael C

Quote:
Originally Posted by autograf View Post
If you go with the larger auction houses, be prepared to have your items placed into the larger type lots. They are looking to maximize the per lot averages in their auctions and minimize the number of pages printed in catalogs.
So how does that work exactly? If you have a t206 Cobb and it gets lumped into a lot with other type cards and gets a final bid of $1500-- how is it determined what the value of your one card was as a % of the total hammer price?
Old 05-12-2011, 08:09 AM
Pete Sycks

Does anyone know who gives the highest cash advance? I have some items that will bring in a couple grand, but nothing over $10k.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:18 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Do the cash advances wind up costing you in the end? Meaning is an auction house less inclined to offer a zero or low consignment rate if you request money upfront?
Old 05-12-2011, 08:55 AM
Barry Sloate

Pete- no auction house has a policy of giving the highest cash advances. If they want your consignment they will agree to give you an advance. How much it may be is based on you negotiating with them. If you have a T206 Wagner you call all the shots. If you have more run of the mill items then you will have to be flexible. As Tom B. said the better quality and higher value your consignment, the more leverage you have. If you have more common material that auction houses get regularly, then you will not have as strong a position. It's business.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:57 AM
Pete Sycks

Thanks for all the info everyone
Old 05-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Dave Foster

I've never dealt with either, but I've always read favorable comments on PWCC and Probstein. Dunno about their specific auction policies, like advances.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
PWCC and Probstein
I doubt very seriously either one of them would give cash advances. I have dealt with PWCC and it is pretty painless. I feel that for your average run of the mill cards (ie, 1952 Bowman Mantle PSA 5), that they would be the best route to get rid of stuff.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Jeff

For those who have consigned with REA, what's their typical pay-out time frame?
Old 05-12-2011, 05:15 PM
Larry

Very good points, Tom B. and Barry.

Heritage also has done very well and works very hard on the write-ups for the lots on game-used items, plus taking care of authentication.

Regards,

Larry
Old 05-12-2011, 06:06 PM
Dan Studebaker

I believe both Sterling Sports and Brockelman-Luckey auctions have low net fees and faster payouts. I think B-L tries to get everyone paid in two weeks, and I think Sterling pays as soon as they get paid which can be almost immediate since they take paypal.

I am going off of memory so be sure to double check with them.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:42 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default B&L

I had some items in the previous B&L auctions and I was very pleased with the entire process, especially compared to my consignments with other auction sites. I don't know about cash advances, but everything else was first class.

Ease of consignment was A+. I mailed the items to B&L so I didn't have to make a long trip to meet someone in person. I didn't have to fill out a lengthy consignment agreement.

I was very pleased with the hammer price for my items. Again, A+.

I didn't have a lengthy lead time in advance of the auction, so I wasn't waiting for months for the auction to start.

Zero consignment fee. This was very significant, especially when compared to 20% for some auction houses.

No paper catalog to hold in my hand, buy who really cares? The website was great and worked well. The only glitch is that for the past couple of auctions the extended bidding period doesn't work correctly with the Google Chrome browser, but it is easy to change to IE.

The descriptions were very good. Sometimes when I read through an auction catalog it seems like they are just going through the motions with their descriptions or they don't have enough knowledge of what they are selling, but I thought that B&L did a good job.

Zero consignment fee. (Did I mention that already?)

Quick payment. I had a check in my grubby little paws 14 days after the auction closed. Can't beat that!

B&L did a great job, and I will consign with them again when I am ready to move some more items.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Pete Sycks

Thanks for all the help everyone