NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-06-2010, 03:23 PM
Jeff

Default Need your opinions

Hi All. I finally went through my and my father's collection to decide what should stay or go. Among the better stuff, I also have thousands (50 800-count boxes) of duplicate cards from 1975 to the early 1990s and do not know what to do with them. I know this is a pre-war forum, but your opinions would be most appreciated.
As I see it, my options are:
1 - Try and sell them or trade them. Even though they are in great condition, I realize they are plentiful and inexpensive. Plus, shipping this volume of cards from Chicago to anywhere might be prohibitive. Also, who would want them? I doubt someone would trade for items on our pre-war wantlist for newer cards.
2 - Donate them to Goodwill or the like. Would anyone know what are the tax ramifications of this type of donation?
3 - I run a 67 team fall baseball league and thought about packaging them up and giving them to the approximately 900 kids from ages 9-12 who are playing in the league. Hopefully, this would get them started on collecting and/or collecting the older cards. To them, 1977 is vintage!
4 - Your thoughts or ideas.
Pluses and minuses on each of the above or any ideas you may have. Thanks for your time.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:50 PM
S Gross

Easy ----> #3
Old 09-06-2010, 03:51 PM

In the same boat, I like option 3
Old 09-06-2010, 03:53 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default Number 3 is where I'd go...

I gave about 5K common cards to the Boys & Girls club in the mid nineties, but I agree with mybuddyinc that #3 is a no-brainer.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:53 PM

option #3
Old 09-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Ray Novak

Default Extra Cards

Besides the kids in your baseball league, there are plenty of kids who are in hospitals throughout the Chicagoland area. They always enjoy have boxes of cards to rummage through. You could leave some at the desk for the staff to carry through pediatrics. I don't know about the tax situation, but if you leave a name and address, you might get a few thank you notes from the kids.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:41 PM
David Str@@te

Option 3. And can I sign up for your team?
Old 09-07-2010, 03:49 PM

Halloween is also coming up!
Old 09-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperguy View Post
I run a 67 team fall baseball league and thought about packaging them up and giving them to the approximately 900 kids from ages 9-12 who are playing in the league. Hopefully, this would get them started on collecting and/or collecting the older cards. To them, 1977 is vintage!
That sounds like a great idea to me. I bet the kids would really enjoy them!
Old 09-07-2010, 06:13 PM

Agreed on option #3

Halloween idea sounds good also though some kids wouldn't like it
Old 09-07-2010, 08:50 PM
Richard A.

Add one more to the "Option #3" tally.

Last year I was moving and didn't want to move 50K + cards from the 80's and 90's [all 4 major sports]. I called a local card shop, explained the situation and said that I wasn't interested in selling them, I just didn't want to recycle them.

Turns out he had arrangements with some local schools to put them in the hands of teachers who then put them into the hands of the children. I couldn't think of a better way to rid myself of them...

And I'm not so naive to think he didn't skim through them first, but for the few cards he'd have found to sell, I figure it's a fair shake for him to facilitate the whole thing.

Regards,

Richard.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:51 AM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

The pre-1980 stuff has some actual value if it's truly high grade. Professionally graded 1975 in 9 or 10 can net some you some good money. If you manage a PSA 10 1975 Nolan Ryan, well, you'll be glad you did

Other than that, yeah, give the cards to the kids.

Tabe
Old 09-10-2010, 03:46 PM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

Hi Jeff

It sounds like we all agree #3 is the best option. I have had the privilege of donating cards to local youth throughout the years and it has brought me tremendous pleasure. Seeing the kids’ eyes light up and the look of disbelief on their faces is priceless. Plus, I think we would all agree we need to help groom a new generation of collectors to pass the torch to some day.

I find that kids like getting cards from recent years as much as, if not more, than from older years because they can relate to the players better. I would be happy to mail you some cards from 2008-2010 to add to what you are giving them if you decide to do this. They would be free and I would pay for shipping costs of course.

Let me know if you would like to take me up on my offer.

Chris “Bubba” Lamb
bubbalamb@cfl.rr.com