NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Tony N.

Default Fort Knox Safe

This maybe a little off topic, but I'm curious if any member happens to own a Fort Knox Safe? I'm looking for a new safe for my cards, and after some research, these seem to be pretty good.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to another company with similar quality?

Thanks,
Tony
Old 05-11-2011, 08:00 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by e107collector View Post
This maybe a little off topic, but I'm curious if any member happens to own a Fort Knox Safe? I'm looking for a new safe for my cards, and after some research, these seem to be pretty good.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to another company with similar quality?

Thanks,
Tony
You won't find anything better than a Fort Knox safe.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:21 PM
Gr.eg Per.ry

I have a Ft. Knox safe as do many people that I know. They are the best. My advice is go with the Guardian level as it has most of the great features you will need. Get the biggest safe you can reasonably fit in your space, as you will fill it up quick with many odds and ends (guns, computers and hard drives, jewelry, photo albums, documents, and of course baseball cards, trust me they fill up quick).

After you get your Ft. Knox safe, you will scratch your head when several times a year people post about their cards getting stolen by their plumber or the neighborhood hoodlum. No reason for this if you just lock em up!
Old 05-13-2011, 03:12 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Fort Knox is great, i think Browning and maybe Liberty are as well. Get the biggest you can fit, and dont skimp on price. Get the one with the thickest gauge steel (which is a lower number) and the heaviest (harder to move) and get movers to set it up. Get the one with the thickest and most locking bolts and best fire potection. A dehumidifer rod is nice, and if they have the option, lights are nice too.

If you put one in a basebment, you have to think of the posibility of flooding. probably good to put in on blocks or something so it's off the ground a bit. You can also put a small fire/waterproof safe like the small sentry safe (only about 40 bucks) inside and put your best stuff in there (extra fire and water protection) Silica gel packets are good inside small safes and boxes for extra humidity protection.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:19 PM
Vincent Hecksel

Default . . . or theft by cleaning lady . . .

She would have been challenged to clean that Babe Ruth signed ball had it resided inside a Ft. Knox safe, no matter how dedicated a cleaning professional she was.

Last edited by HexsHeroes; 05-13-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:31 PM
Tony N.

Default Thanks guys

After doing some research, and the comments listed above, I'm sold. I'll probably order one this month.

Thanks again,
Tony
Old 05-14-2011, 10:14 AM

Default Whoa

Good grief after reading all this I guess I should take the rubber bands off those stacks of T206's and stop storing them under the kitchen sink...come to think of it I might be missing some after the plumber came out to fix the leak.

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 05-14-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:36 PM
Gr.eg Per.ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Good grief after reading all this I guess I should take the rubber bands off those stacks of T206's and stop storing them under the kitchen sink...come to think of it I might be missing some after the plumber came out to fix the leak.

Brian
It is comical but several times a year someone posts about their cards being stolen by the most random types of people....

FYI, Costco sells a $3k Cannon that is comparable quality to the Ft. Knox.

I also run a cat5 cable into my safe and keep a hard drive in there that backs up the family photos. Fire-proof data backup, one more great use for a safe.

My final advice is to never move one of these beasts yourself or with friends. Save your back and the medical bills and pay a professional to risk theirs.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default recommend

As I have said several times before, I bought a used Jewelers safe from a lock/security retail store. I negotiated the price to around $1000. It weighs 1200 lbs and has really thick steel. It is rated TL15. It was brought in with a tow truck and we also have a monitored alarm system. That all being said I still keep my most valuable cards in a bank safe deposit box....just in case some internet predator gets any ideas. I strongly recommend saving 50% or more and at least looking at used safes. They are the same thing, just a lot cheaper. regards
Old 05-15-2011, 10:19 AM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I strongly recommend saving 50% or more and at least looking at used safes. They are the same thing, just a lot cheaper.
What do all you Canadians up there think about that?
Old 05-15-2011, 10:10 PM

If you have a pricey collection you may want to look at a pricey safe. Best safe I've ever used is made by John Tann out of England. They are heavy (so no one is going to leave your house with it) and tougher to crack than most bank vaults.

Louis
Old 05-16-2011, 09:22 AM
Bill

I am in the Northern Ky/Cincinnati area and am planning on buying a large safe for my cards and guns in the next 2 weeks. Anybody in this area that can suggest a good place to go?
Old 05-16-2011, 08:09 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
I strongly recommend saving 50% or more and at least looking at used safes. They are the same thing, just a lot cheaper. regards
I bought my safe a few months ago. I had the idea to purchase a used safe, but I couldn't find one and I searched several safe shops here in Houston. I even browsed Craigslist and local classifieds.

I bought a Liberty as mentioned above. It weighs 800lbs, has 14 locking bolts and is rated for 1500 degrees for up to 60 minutes. I bought it more for theft prevention, than fire protection. I just can't help but think that if my house caught fire, the heat would melt those plastic slabs inside no matter what the rating.

As someone mentioned, they fill up fast. I use it to store my guns and more expensive cards and it is just about filled.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 05-16-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:48 AM
Bill

So here is a question for everyone. I am buying my first safe within the next two weeks. Should I also insure my collection? To David's previous point. The plastic slabs could still melt and ruin the cards within. Also, if I store ammo in there with my guns and cards, I am assuming the ammo will ignite at some point if the heat gets high enough inside during a fire.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:39 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
just in case some internet predator gets any ideas.
hmmmm...

Old 05-17-2011, 06:51 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Hey Jeff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
hmmmm...

Hey Jeff,
Having been to my house several times I think you would agree this guy might look a bit out of place if he came waltzing down my street, trying to sidestep the cow patties in that attire .

Last edited by Leon; 05-17-2011 at 06:51 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:07 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

plus your killer dog would scare me (uh, I mean him) away.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:23 AM
Tony N.

Default Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Browns View Post
So here is a question for everyone. I am buying my first safe within the next two weeks. Should I also insure my collection? To David's previous point. The plastic slabs could still melt and ruin the cards within. Also, if I store ammo in there with my guns and cards, I am assuming the ammo will ignite at some point if the heat gets high enough inside during a fire.
I my opinion, it would be a wise decision to insure your collection. Most homeowners insurance policies don't cover card collections, and if they did, it probably would only cover a small percentage of their value.

I have a policy with Collector's Insurance Agency, and it was a simple process.

Tony
Old 05-17-2011, 08:33 AM
Bill

Thanks Tony!