NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-06-2011, 09:10 AM
Mike Dugan

Default Arlington, TX Show May13-15?

Leon- I saw where there is a show at the Arlington Convention Center May 13-15, will there be any pre-war there?

While not pre-war I was thinking about going at noon Saturday for a Marcus Dupree autograph. Wow could he run, maybe the prettiest stride I have ever seen!

My girls had already scheduled us for a shopping stay at the Galleria all three days.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:52 AM
Rich Klein

Default It would be great to see you again Mike!

Roger Neufeldt will be there -- as I received his promotional post card. There might be some other pre-war there as well as other interesting items.

As of this morning, Leon and myself were planning to car pool out to Arlington on Saturday; so have fun at the Galleria and we'll see you in Arlington

Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 05-06-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:15 PM
Mike Dugan

Thanks Rich, I look forward to seeing you again!
Old 05-06-2011, 08:04 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default hoping to make it....

Hey Mike

I am hoping to make the show as Rich said.....Should be fun regardless of finding anything. I think Rich and I should be there during that time (noon) so maybe we could meet up? If anyone else wants to, the more the merrier.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:28 PM
Steve West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I think Rich and I should be there during that time (noon) so maybe we could meet up? If anyone else wants to, the more the merrier.
I'm planning on being there for a couple of hours tomorrow morning, I'd like to meet you guys too. When, where etc?

Steve
Old 05-13-2011, 06:25 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default picking up Rich

Hi Steve
I am picking up Rich at about 9:15-9:30 and it takes about 45 minutes to get there from his house. We expect to be there a few hours or so....We could meet out in front, before we go in, at about 10-10:15? Or whatever time is good for you. Looking forward to it. regards
Old 05-13-2011, 08:30 PM
Steve West

Hi Leon,

I'll be out front of the convention center around 10. See you then!

Steve
Old 05-14-2011, 08:33 AM

Reason 10,545 that I want to move to the Metroplex in Texas.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Rich Klein

Default Um ---

Well while WE all had a good time at this show, there really was not much there in terms of vintage or even what I went for -- which was to buy cheap wax to bust.

However; Leon, for whom I thank for driving, and myself caught up with many collectors (as he would say - they were one of us)

Amongst the people we saw were Steve -- and good luck on your project -- and don't be afraid to email me for I can get you some guidance and suggestions on research --- baseball related, not card related

Paul Rogers, who is the head of our local SABR chapter here in DFW and recently wrote a book with long-time baseball figure Eddie Robinson. Eddie and Paul did a talk/book signing at our synagogue for our yearly men's club dinner and were great guests. FYI, Eddie is 90 years young and still plays golf three times a week.

Mike Dugan, who came down from Hot Springs for the weekend. Mike helps coordinate what is called "Boiling Out" which is ostensibly about the deadball era and is held there because of all the teams that used the area to train. He thinks if all goes well the next Boilong Out will be in March, 2012. I went to the first three events and it has grown since the seven of us came down on a lark in 2002.

Among the people we saw at booths were Chris Olds, the Beckett Baseball Magazine Editor, Andy Broome, the chief vintage grader for Beckett Grading and among the dealers Roger Neufeldt, Danny Harrison and larry Dhuly,

Other people were there as well and while we all might not have bought as much as we would have liked, we all had a great time

Rich
Old 05-14-2011, 10:05 PM
Steve West

Hi Rich,

It was great to meet up with you guys today! This was the first time I'd been to a show to specifically concentrate on vintage cards, and although there wasn't much, what was there certainly whetted my appetite. I ended up with my first B18 Blanket (Peckinpaugh) and first Allen & Ginter (John Ward). There are too many good looking cards out there, I might have to become a type card collector

Steve
Old 05-15-2011, 12:09 AM
Mike Navarro

I know those of you that went were probably not looking for these cards, but in the off chance that you saw these available at the show, just thought I'd check and see.

Did any of y'all run across any of the following cards autographed??

1963 Topps Willie Stargell,1952 Topps Hoyt Wilhelm, 1949 Bowman Richie Ashburn,1984 Fleer Update Kirby Puckett, 1948 Leaf Hal Newhouser, 1949 Bowman Roy Campanella,1948 Leaf or 1949 Bowman Jackie Robinson

If so, I'll make the trek up to Arlington on Sunday to shop. I need the above for my HOF signed rookie card collection.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 05-15-2011, 03:23 AM
Rich Klein

Default I did see some vintage cards autographed

But did not look for your specific requests -- so can't say whether any of not anyone had those cards.

As a show, it's about the best we get in DFW so you might want to come up anyway just to check out what we did not look for

Rich
Old 05-15-2011, 06:53 PM
Mike Dugan

Rich & Leon- I really enjoyed the chance to visit with both of you yesterday at the show.

I also spent some wonderful time with fellow SABR members Paul Rogers and Jay Langhammer, what a super nice and very knowledgeable group of fellows!

It turned into a football show for me. Other than the Eddie Robinson book which he signed there wasn't much there. I did buy two VERY over-priced raw T206s just to feel like I brought something home. The real highlight other than the aforementioned group of friends was meeting Marcus Dupree and Mel Renfro. They were very friendly and spoke with everyone that signed while on the other hand there was Jose Canseco. While I had no desire to obtain his signature the few that did (less than 10 it appeared) were treated with coolness. He was very aloof?

Still a fun trip, wife & daughter shopped the Galleria all weekend and I ate well!