NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-05-2010, 09:43 PM
Yankeefan51

Default Time to Pull Out Your Bill Lee Rookie Cards O/T

Bill Lee wins minor league game at age 63

Refreshing perspective was always a key element in Bill Lee’s repertoire. Call it odd, bizarre, hilarious, and thoroughly invigorating. So, of course, Lee had a unique approach Sunday when he pitched the first 5 1/3 innings for an independent league team in Massachusetts and held the opposing team to two runs to earn the victory.

Bill "Spaceman" Lee was the winning pitcher at age 63 for the Brockton Rox, beating Worcester.
(Kevin Tocci)
At age 63.

“I lift wood and make bats for a living,” he told reporters. “This is fun for me. It doesn’t take anything out of you to pitch.”

Satchel Paige was 59 when he pitched three innings for the Kansas City Athletics in 1965. Another longtime Negro Leagues player, the legendary Buck O’Neal, batted twice in the Northern League All-Star Game in 2006 at age 94. He swung at one pitch and walked in both at-bats. Earlier that year, Jim Eriotes, 83, led off the game for the Sioux Falls Canaries and struck out. He did foul off a pitch.Yes, the “Spaceman” was otherworldly. Lee, who in his day job makes bats forDavid Ortiz(notes), among other major leaguers, is thought to be the oldest pitcher to appear in a professional game, let alone win one.

Like those appearances, this had the distinct whiff of a gimmick. That is, until Lee took the mound for the Brockton Rox and exhibited superior command, holding the Worcester Tornadoes to five hits. He struck out one and walked one.

“Everything was where I wanted it to be,” he said.

Lee, who pitched in the major leagues from 1969 to 1982 and for many years starred for the Boston Red Sox, originally planned to appear at a fundraiser the Brockton club was holding to combat autism. One thing led to another and Brockton pitching coach Ed Nottle – who has known Lee for years – asked the left-hander if he’d be game.

“Hell, yeah, I’ll do it,” Lee replied.

His first pitch was an eephus, a slow blooper that the batter banged up the middle for a single. Was that all he had? The 6,126 in attendance had to wonder.

Then Lee got down to business. He got out of the first without giving up a run. Nick Salotti homered to lead off the second, but Lee allowed only three hits and a run the rest of the way. Perhaps after giving up the homer, he reminded himself of one his most famous quotes: “I think about the cosmic snowball theory. A few million years from now the sun will burn out and lose its gravitational pull. The earth will turn into a giant snowball and be hurled through space. When that happens it won’t matter if I get this guy out.”

Lee grounded out, but he lasted 5 1/3 innings on the mound, allowing 2 runs.
Kevin Tocci
Ah, perspective.

Meanwhile, spectators were amazed.

“He’s getting the ball over,” Brockton team official Hoffman Wolff said in the third inning. “He looks like a legitimate hurler out there.”

The Rox scored four runs in the bottom of the fifth, helping to ensure that Lee would be the pitcher of record in the 7-3 victory. The performance was reminiscent of the last time he took the mound in a game anybody cared about, the 2008 Midnight Sun Game Anchorage, Alaska. Lee pitched into the seventh inning and got the win, avenging the loss he took in the 1967 Midnight Sun Game when he was 21 and hadn’t even reached the big leagues yet.

Lee has been pitching for more than 50 years, a feat that might even trump his never-ending string of wacky quotes and outlandish behavior (Upon being called up to the Red Sox for the first time in 1969, Lee took a look at the Green Monster and said, “Do they leave it there during games?”). He is a regular in men’s leagues in Vermont, where he lives with his wife, Diana, and has traveled extensively as an unorthodox ambassador for the game, visiting Cuba, China and Russia.

“I don’t want to get to cocky because there’s always some kid out there with an aluminum bat who’s gonna hit one back at my head, or at my nose like General Patton,” he said two years ago after the game in Alaska. “Then I’ll be dead, but that’s not a bad way to go.”

He had only one regret after winning Sunday, although like most of what he says, the comment was tongue-in-cheek. “I got pulled before I could use all of my pitches today. I was hoping to be able to break out my Juan Marichal screwball,” he said.

Afterward, Lee repaired to nearby Mulligan’s bar for a four-hour session of autographs, storytelling and beer drinking. It was a legendary day by a pitcher-performer who constantly outdoes himself. Actor Woody Harrelson owns the movie rights to the Bill Lee story. On Sunday, Lee provided more material for the screenplay.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Jimmy

Bruce, thanks for sharing.
Pics and vid...

Last edited by 19cbb; 09-05-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:58 AM
Scott S

I got the chance to chat with Lee a month or so ago at an event where he appeared, and he's as lively as ever. What a great guy to chat with; nice post...
Old 09-06-2010, 08:11 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default thanks

Thanks for the post/thread, Bruce.....very entertaining. best regards
Old 09-06-2010, 08:25 AM
Rich Klein

Default Rich Lally

An old friend of mine has written several books with Mr. Lee, when we did a lot in the 1980's; I heard a lot of great Bill Lee stories.

Bill Lee and JIm Bouton, two people with brains who wrote (with some good help) about the game AND just loved to compete and keep pitching.

Great stories for both of them

And if you ever get the chance; watch the documentary about Bill Lee going to Cuba.

Rich
Old 09-06-2010, 08:27 AM
Rich Klein

Default And in my best David Rudd imitation

I will be peforming back to back posts *Try the veal, we'll be here all week*

Bruce --- aren't 1970 Topps cards a bit mundane for you

Rich
Old 09-06-2010, 08:42 PM
Michael S

Thanks for the post Bruce. The "Spaceman" will always have a special place in my heart. What a character and I did watch his documentary in Cuba.

A quick story from my youth. I was at a Red Sox game in late 1972 with my younger Sister and some other kids from the nieghborhood. I was 12 at the time and my Sister was 9. We were sitting behind the Sox pen about 8-10 rows up in the bleachers. Bill was out in the pen and it must have been a boring day because he was holding shop with all the fans. Trading barbs, playing catch with the fans, he was a riot.

He was thinking up new ways to interact with the fans as the innings passed and he started making bubble gum balls from a stash of gum in the pen and drop kicking them into the stands. He was getting pretty good at it and then one of his kicks zinged my Sister right on the side of her head. Remember she was 9 but she was okay and amused. Bill made sure she was okay and then gave her an autographed ball with all the bullpen guys. Me and my Sister still recount that game to this day and she still has the ball from Bill.

And Bill will always be remembered fondly by me for forming the "Loyal Order of Buffalo Heads" in 1977 with teammates Fergie Jenkins, Rick Wise, Jim Willoughby and Bernie Carbo. The group was formed in defiance of Manager Don Zimmer and his perceived handling of the picthing staff that year. A Buffalo is generally considered to be the dumbest animal in creation. Good stuff!
Old 09-07-2010, 05:13 AM
Banned

My favorite Bill Lee anecdote is that he once asked for permission to wear No. 337 because, he explained, when that number is turned upside down it spells "Lee." After his request was denied, he went with No. 37.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
My favorite Bill Lee anecdote is that he once asked for permission to wear No. 337 because, he explained, when that number is turned upside down it spells "Lee." After his request was denied, he went with No. 37.
How have I not heard that one?! That's great! I can envision him wearing #337 and trying to pitch while upside down!
Old 09-07-2010, 06:31 AM
Peter Spaeth

Title of his autobiography" "The Wrong Stuff."

Comment after game 2 of the 75 Series, when a reporter asked him to characterize the Series so far: "tied."

Worst moment: the second "Leephus" pitch of the game to Tony Perez in game 7, who was ready for it and nuked it.

Classic moment: leaving Fenway in full uniform to catch the end of the Boston Marathon.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:38 PM

Guys like Bill Lee made the game fun back in my childhood. That Red Sox with Oil Can Boyd, Lee and El Tiante must been an interesting bunch!
Old 09-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Jim

Default RC

here it is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bill Lee RC.jpg (77.2 KB, 162 views)
Old 09-07-2010, 09:33 PM

Didn't a reporter ask Lee if he liked "Grass better than Turf?" and Lee replied

"I don't know.. I never smoked any turf"
Old 09-07-2010, 09:50 PM

Interesting read:

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/ar...-the-spaceman/
Old 09-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Joe

I saw Bill pitch in Moncton, New Brunswick in 86 or 87. Can't remember if he pitched for Moncton or against them. Sorry, CRS. He was still a drawing card then and whenever he pitched he drew large crowds. Wasn't it Bill who said he liked Wheaties but only if he sprinkled pot on top of it? Once a character, always a character.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:53 PM
David McDonald

Speaking of Wheaties . . .
Old 09-10-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutthoff Grandson View Post
Didn't a reporter ask Lee if he liked "Grass better than Turf?" and Lee replied

"I don't know.. I never smoked any turf"
That was Tug McGraw.