NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-15-2013, 08:09 PM
Ja,mie B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlighter View Post
"Might". If Ichiro doesn't make it into the Hall in 5 Ballots or less I will send you a t206 HOFer.
Thanks!
Old 08-15-2013, 08:20 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
How in the world anyone can think that someone that won 16 Gold Gloves in a row at 3rd base (Brooks Robinson) is underrated, I don't know. Maybe those folks have never played 3rd?
Leon, 3rd was actually my position growing up, I completely understand his greatness while fielding, the problem is the guy only hit .262 for his career. He was a good ballplayer don't get me wrong but I don't understand why his cards are worth on the level of the higher level HOFers when he was great in the field and mediocre (at best) at bat. No way his items should be trading at the levels of Frank Robinson, Yaz, or Ernie Banks (which is the category that his cards sell at).

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 08-15-2013, 08:34 PM
M@rk Cl@ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
Leon, 3rd was actually my position growing up, I completely understand his greatness while fielding, the problem is the guy only hit .262 for his career. He was a good ballplayer don't get me wrong but I don't understand why his cards are worth on the level of the higher level HOFers when he was great in the field and mediocre (at best) at bat. No way his items should be trading at the levels of Frank Robinson, Yaz, or Ernie Banks (which is the category that his cards sell at).
Good Gloves might be the worst way to determine defensive prowess. It's a popularity contest and often handed out by pure name recognition.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:41 PM
Ja,mie B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender07 View Post
Good Gloves might be the worst way to determine defensive prowess. It's a popularity contest and often handed out by pure name recognition.
Do you think that's the case with Brooks Robinson, though? Or could he flash a little leather?
Old 08-15-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
It's so strange to me that we are equating Hall of Fame numbers, SABR metrics and then trying to somehow, someway equate them to card values. It's all about popularity and how we celebrate those players. For more than 50 years Brooks Robinson has held the heart of Baltimore. He is Mr. Oriole, the most loved player franchise history by a long shot. The last Brooks Robinson autograph signing I went to near Baltimore, I met no less than three dozen people aged 2 months to 50 years old named "Brooks". I certainly don't think of his .262 batting average when I buy his cards for a premium. I've enjoyed my conversations with Brooks and he has always treated everyone he has met like a close friend. On the other hand, I look at Frank Robinson who clearly has superior statistics....yet there are endless reports of him being a total a** h*** .... I wouldn't give two nickels for him.

Last edited by Orioles1954; 08-15-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:15 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyseymour View Post
Do you think that's the case with Brooks Robinson, though? Or could he flash a little leather?
No, I think with Robinson, and Clemente, it was warranted. I think today it's a little bit more of a popularity contest.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:36 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosox Blair View Post
Our own cyseymour did an analysis back in 2011 of the number of combined graded examples (PSA and SGC) of the OJ HOFers.

At that time, he found that the total graded examples ranged from a low of 19 examples (W. Robinson) to a high of 113 (Ward). However, 15 out of the 27 (as of 2011) had less than 50 combined graded examples per player.

Cheers,
Blair
Blair or Jamie, do you have a link to this? I've posted SGC and PSA pop reports on N172 HOFers a couple times and have interest in the topic but don't remember others doing so (although I could have missed it).

Old Cardboard summarized one of my earlier posts from the old Net54 forum back in 2005 (here). shortly after 2005 I stopped including PSA in my summaries because their numbers seemed to be in error (players would all of a sudden gain or lose a substantial number of submissions). SGC has also graded far more cards so I just stick with SGC.

I more recently looked at the HOFer pop reports after Deacon White was elected. It was no big surprise when I found Deacon to be the rarest HOFer (8 cards graded with no population increase since it was announced last year - December 2012). As for most common, that distinction belongs with Keefe (over 100 graded when including his two player cards with Richardson). Keefe has a pretty healthy lead over Ward for the most common HOFer.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 08-15-2013, 09:58 PM
Ja,mie B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_G. View Post
Blair or Jamie, do you have a link to this? I've posted SGC and PSA pop reports on N172 HOFers a couple times and have interest in the topic but don't remember others doing so (although I could have missed it).
I'll PM anyone who cares to have the link, but will keep it off this board out of respect to Leon.

Thanks
Old 08-15-2013, 10:14 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
It's so strange to me that we are equating Hall of Fame numbers, SABR metrics and then trying to somehow, someway equate them to card values. It's all about popularity and how we celebrate those players. For more than 50 years Brooks Robinson has held the heart of Baltimore. He is Mr. Oriole, the most loved player franchise history by a long shot. The last Brooks Robinson autograph signing I went to near Baltimore, I met no less than three dozen people aged 2 months to 50 years old named "Brooks". I certainly don't think of his .262 batting average when I buy his cards for a premium. I've enjoyed my conversations with Brooks and he has always treated everyone he has met like a close friend. On the other hand, I look at Frank Robinson who clearly has superior statistics....yet there are endless reports of him being a total a** h*** .... I wouldn't give two nickels for him.
James, I totally get what you are saying, I too have never heard a bad word really spoken about Brooks as a human being, and I can understand his popularity, especially in Baltimore. That being said what you are saying is exactly what this thread is about, which players according to their numbers/stats/SABR/etc. are beloved beyond what they did on the field (ie "overrated" as it relates to them as ballplayers) and which players are somewhat overlooked despite gaudy numbers (ie underrated, if you will).

Old 08-15-2013, 10:31 PM

How in the world can anyone claim Brooks Robinson is overrated and rag on him while at the same time never mention a word about Ozzie Smith as overrated? As Leon mentioned, Brooksy had 16 Gold Gloves in a row at third base and was a real clutch hitter. The Wizard of Oz was a defensive gem at shortstop but how come no mention of his batting numbers while Robinson's are dissected.
Classy on and off the field, Brooks was the leader of team and rock solid his entire career.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:40 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
How in the world can anyone claim Brooks Robinson is overrated and rag on him while at the same time never mention a word about Ozzie Smith as overrated?
Really? how dare I answer the question as it was presented, seriously. Insert Ozzie's name in the place of Brooks Robinson and the same can be said about him, I tried to stay somewhat vintage and not include the guys who played predominately in the 1980's and 90's. I shouldn't have answered the question I guess when it relates to Brooks Robinson, apparently he is untouchable... His statistics are right there, this isn't about how great of a guy he is, simply from his statistical output the guy is a bit overrated, I thought that is what this thread was about? Feel free to disagree but I stand by what I said, taking out the emotional aspect he isn't on par "statistically" with the players whose cards trade at similar levels.

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 08-15-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_G. View Post

Old Cardboard summarized one of my earlier posts from the old Net54 forum back in 2005 (here). shortly after 2005 I stopped including PSA in my summaries because their numbers seemed to be in error (players would all of a sudden gain or lose a substantial number of submissions). SGC has also graded far more cards so I just stick with SGC.

I more recently looked at the HOFer pop reports after Deacon White was elected. It was no big surprise when I found Deacon to be the rarest HOFer (8 cards graded with no population increase since it was announced last year - December 2012). As for most common, that distinction belongs with Keefe (over 100 graded when including his two player cards with Richardson). Keefe has a pretty healthy lead over Ward for the most common HOFer.
Hi Joe,

It would be great to see your most recent findings on this (even though we all appreciate that pop reports have their inaccuracies!) Maybe a new thread?

Cheers,
Blair
Old 08-15-2013, 10:51 PM
Doug Chamberlain

I don't know about card value but a dear friend once made a very convincing argument for being overlooked statistically for his time era...Lefty Grove.
His numbers during an era where it seems like the 9th place hitter on most teams was hitting .300 ... some pretty impressive stats!!
Old 08-15-2013, 10:55 PM
Aa.ron Pa.tton
Banned

Some one aleady mentioned Chuck Klein. I concur.

George Sisler was a truly GREAT hitter on some awful Browns teams, yet kind of an after-thought playing in the shadows of Ruth, Gehrig, Hornsby, etc.

There are others...

Last edited by CobbvLajoie1910; 08-15-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:00 PM
Doug Chamberlain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
How in the world can anyone claim Brooks Robinson is overrated and rag on him while at the same time never mention a word about Ozzie Smith as overrated? As Leon mentioned, Brooksy had 16 Gold Gloves in a row at third base and was a real clutch hitter. The Wizard of Oz was a defensive gem at shortstop but how come no mention of his batting numbers while Robinson's are dissected.
Classy on and off the field, Brooks was the leader of team and rock solid his entire career.
The proverbial nail-on-the-head ...as a BoSox fan as a young-un ... I just seem to remember clutch hitting on top of the great glove...I'm guessing Lee May would have some input
Old 08-17-2013, 12:52 AM
M@rk Comer

By the way Brooks hit .267 for career, not .262 (not including post season). Another great player from the era Johnny Bench @ .267..then a bit later era Mike Schmidt @ .267 career. I believe if you look up the averages for the era I'm sure these three are all above average for sure.

Many just look at the '70 WS and watch the plays Brooks made, but he did it day in and day out throughout his career. It was "normal" for him to make such plays for the Charm City fans, but he became more famous to the public after that series and I believe he was 33 years of age by then...

I "know" I have to pay a premium for his cards.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:20 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
Many just look at the '70 WS and watch the plays Brooks made, but he did it day in and day out throughout his career. .
One of my all time favorite plays (which occurred years before I was born, making it more impressive in my mind) is Brooks Robinson throwing out Lee May from deep deep in foul territory with all his momentum carrying him away from 1st base.

I'm a big time Brooks guy and strongly believe that stats don't tell all the story, especially when it comes to baseball card value. So much of what appeals to fans and collectors is totally subjective, so to break down players' OPS+ and how it relates to card values seems like a tough and indirect comparison. Don't get me wrong, I love breaking down stats and love all the discussion and opinions shared so far, but I also think there's a huge gray area involved. A lot of "value" is dicated by soft characteristics, the "warm and fuzzy" stuff- The amount nostalgia, fond memories, even romance a player may evoke (directly related to how beloved he was- see Brooks)... how much exposure he got in his playing days (clutch WS appearances, playing in NYC, etc)... were there cool, iconic sets to support his popularity during and following his playing days (always thought guys like Sisler/Heilman get gyped because they missed CJ and Goudey)... all play a big role in the value of his cards, and I think a much bigger role than stats like WAR, which are valuable but very non romantic.

That said, I'll still add a few.

Underpriced- I second on Sisler, the guy was a hitting machine. I also think guys from the same era like Simmons, Heilman get overlooked... and definitely think Eddie Collins, Tris Speaker, Nap Lajoie deserve some more love. For how great he was, I think Ted Williams' cards deserve a little bump as well.

Overpriced- probably Mantle, but per the above combo of nostalgia, NYC and WS exposure, looks/personality, and very iconic color cards to show him off, I see why he's commanded such a premium.

Last edited by itjclarke; 08-17-2013 at 02:24 AM. Reason: wording
Old 08-19-2013, 04:22 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf31 View Post
I'll suggest Ralph Kiner. Granted his career was pretty short, lasting only 10 seasons, but the HR numbers he put up in those years are nothing short of impressive. 5 straight season of 40+ homers including 2 seasons of 50+. He led the NL in HRs from 1946-52 and led all the majors in 1947-52. Those 6 consecutive seasons of leading the majors in HRs ties him with Babe Ruth (1926-31) for the most consecutive seasons to lead the majors in HRs.

His 1948 Bowman and 1948 Leaf cards which some consider his RCs as they were the first major sets to feature him, can be had the PSA/SGC 7 range for under $300!
+1. Bill James once wrote that during Kiner's prime, he was the closest thing to Babe Ruth in terms of pure homerun hitting dominance that had been seen to that point in time. Going purely by memory, Ralph had the second best homerun frequency to the Babe (one every 14.1 at bats, versus one every 11.8) prior to the PED era. He drew a tremendous amount of walks, and had a lifetime on-base-% of just under .400 (.398). If he hadn't played for one of the worst teams in the majors, and had instead played for a contender, he could easily have won the MVP three or more times. Lifetime OBPS of .946, if memory serves correctly, which is almost other-worldly for a lifetime .279 hitter (how do I remember all this stuff?? I don't consciously try to!). Six times an all-star, it would have been seven, if he hadn't hit only 3 of his 51 homers in 1947 by June 3, and I believe six seasons of scoring 100 or more runs, despite having no foot speed to speak of!

Rather than his 1948 cards, try finding one of his '47 Tip-Tops--PSA has graded just 6, a number that hasn't changed at all in quite a few years (which probably ties in quite well with REA's statement that there have been less than 10 complete sets of the '47 Tip-Tops assembled in the history of the hobby)!

Despite significant price tags on some of their cards, I also think some of the rarer and more significant DiMag and even Gehrig cards remain undervalued in view of their true status as real legends of the game, not that far down from the Babe himself.

Good topic!

Larry
Old 08-19-2013, 04:26 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

How about Johnny Evers as overpriced. Lifetime .270 batting average, and a couple of his T206s bring stupid prices in high grade...Undervalued, I would go with Addie Joss....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 08-19-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:53 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

I would add Hornsby to the list of underpriced. Foxx and Grove are other great choices as well.

I think Mantle is overpriced. Great player for sure but overpriced in my opinion.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:42 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Hornsby is very undervalued--he is one of the top ten(five?) greatest hitters ever. His rookie Collins McCarthy type cards are very scarce. I think Cobb cards are also undervalued; he is arguably the second greatest player ever.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:11 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Hornsby is very undervalued--he is one of the top ten(five?) greatest hitters ever. His rookie Collins McCarthy type cards are very scarce. I think Cobb cards are also undervalued; he is arguably the second greatest player ever.
+1. IMO, a Hornsby Collins McCarthy is a real treasure--tough, tough card!

Best to all,

Larry
Old 08-20-2013, 06:48 PM

Another HOF Arkansan who is underrated and under appreciated is Lou Brock. Great defensively, solid hitter who just missed hitting a career .300 and speed, speed, speed. Like Brooks he is a true gentleman has a class individual.

Last edited by tbob; 08-20-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:28 PM
Ja,mie B.

Brock was not that good. Yes, he had speed, but didn't draw enough walks. Can't hold a candle to Rickey Henderson. Not in Brooks Robinson's league, either, Brooks played a tougher defensive position and was perhaps the greatest defensive 3b man of all-time. Like Brooks, Lou Brock was a class act, though.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:04 PM

[

Last edited by howard38; 09-10-2020 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:59 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
One of my all time favorite plays (which occurred years before I was born, making it more impressive in my mind) is Brooks Robinson throwing out Lee May from deep deep in foul territory with all his momentum carrying him away from 1st base.
Robinson's throw out of May in the '70 World Series is one of the all-time iconic defensive plays in baseball history:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRQSECBxK8s

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.