NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-01-2006, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Default Rarest/Scarcest T-Cards ??

Posted By: Misunderestimated (Brian H.)

This is a question for the long time/collector expert types. What are really the hardest cards (inlcuding variations that are commonly recognized as "part of the set")to find (regardless of condition) in each of the big time T-card sets (listed below) and which are the rarest overall? I have a few guesses that I have included
T3: ? (it should be a T9 or unpopular player??)
T200: ?
T201: ?
T202: Too Late for Devlin & Devlin Gets His Man Devlin/Matty combos
T204: Square variations ??
T205: Hoblizell (no stats), Wilhelm (Suffered), Moran (stray line), Wallace (1 line)
T206: Wagner, Plank etc.
T207: Back in the day it was supposed to be Lowdermilk, is that still considered right.
Rarest overall -- fewest specimens "out there":
I have no clue really, I guess the rare T207 or the Hoblizell sans Stats, or the sqaure photo T204s (Is there a Burkett out there!!), aren't all of these ultimately more rare than even the Wagner T206.

[For purposes of determining scarcity/rarity you may include cards that may have had wrinkles or creases pressed out and then holdered }

Old 12-01-2006, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Clarke

I think the T4's Obak Cabinets are by far the most rarest series. Many cards have yet been discovered and many of them do not have population more than 3. Plus T-210 Old Mill Cabinets are pretty scarce as well.

I know you said cards.. But I think Cabinets are cards too.. Right?

JC

Old 12-01-2006, 08:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Griffin's

Brian-
The only set I know well is T200, and I would rate Boston NL as the toughest, followed by NY AL and StLouis AL, and then St Louis NL.

Old 12-01-2006, 09:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

I would think the action cards in T3 are the toughest.....Who would have ordered them? As far as the T206 its the Joe Doyle NY Nat'l card by far (6-10 known).

Old 12-02-2006, 04:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott M

I only have a handful of T3s in my collection but I've been told by a couple of T3 collectors that the Rhoades is a particularly tough card in the set.

I would agree with the point that several of the less popular T9 boxers are probably up there as well in terms of being scarce.

Old 12-02-2006, 04:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt E.

I would say you are correct with your assessment of difficult T205 cards to obtain within the set. You seldom if ever see the Hoblitzell No Stats or the Moran Stray Line.

Either of the Wilhelm variations are especially tough to find these days. However, the Wallace One Line would be the easiest get your hands on.

With that said ...one of the major auction houses currently has a Hoblitzell and a Wilhelm available in nice grades for your big spenders.

Anyone know how many No Stats are really out there?

The bottom line: The T205 set is becoming more and more dificult to put together with variations. Nice thread Brian.

Old 12-02-2006, 04:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: patrick mchugh

great thread. t207 rarest card is irving lewis no emblem on sleeve. of non variation t207 my choice is mike donlin. from talking with other collectors there may and i do belive it be less than 10 known t207 lewis no emblem on sleeve in the hobby!

Old 12-02-2006, 04:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zamidakis

Without a doubt the T216 cards are the "scarcest". The KOTTON brand is somewhat
less scarce in this group. But, the MINO is really tough to find, and VIRGINIA EXTRA
cards are seldom seen.

What I find really interesting about the T216's is that the fronts are identical to
the E-cards of that era. Must of been produced by the same printing firm based in
the greater Philadelphia area. And, these cards were marketed with the People's
choice Cigarettes in the New Orleans area (circa 1911-16).

T-Rex TED

Old 12-02-2006, 05:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I agree with you. The T216's with the scarcer Kotton back that only have "Never Go Out" on it are the scarcest, behind the Virginia Extra, and both are the thin stocked T216 varieties. What's interesting to me is that only in the last year has the Big Book SCD "tried" to get it correctly, and probably due to this board. There are 3 types of backs and they say, in the 2007 book, there are 2. Hey, but at least they are getting better in knowing what cards are on thin stock . I think Bob and the new gentleman read this board so maybe this pic will help them understand that there are actually 3 backs. This is another reason that if you only collect slabbed cards you would be at a disadvantage. Until last year the Big SCD had the info backwards, not just incorrect.....take care

edited to say that after re-reading the info in the big SCD it looks like they might have it right...but it's very confusing and I think they could have done a better job...I would classify them by their backs and not their fronts to make it more understandable....

Old 12-02-2006, 06:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

With the T3 cards, I think you'll find the cards of Bob Rhoades #114 the most difficult to find. But there are some out there. Little slips of paper, coupons, were collected, and then could be sent in and a specific player could be requested. So there are lots of Cobbs and Mathewsons, lots of Cubs and Giants. Modern day prices don't exactly reflect scarcity, but are more an indication of demand for a particular card nearly 100 years later. My point is that if you have piles of money to throw at T3s, you'd be able to locate and buy a Cobb or Mathewson before you could find a Rhoades for sale. Addie Joss is slightly more difficult that others. I don't think it is because the cards weren't offered after he died (his death contemporary with the card's distribution), but rather I believe that some cards were pitched after a player retired from play, like my friends and I did when we were little kids. So I figure some folks discarded their Joss cards after he died. I think this same situation applies to Powers in T206.

I'm still mad about missing out on a T3 Rhoades. I had him listed on my short want list with Kit Young. He'd been on it for a few years. When I updated the list I'd keep him on there. One day I get Kit's catalog and they're listing a T3 Rhoades, I immediately call, same day I'd received the catalog. They tell me the card had sold the day before.... I'd have paid twice their catalog price, and what good is the want list if they don't contact me??? Maybe they never intended on contacting folks when wanted cards were acquired... maybe they used want lists to ascertain general collecting trends so they'd know what to acquire and which items need a boost in pricing. Or maybe they just overlooked my want list that day. So I still don't have Rhoades.

Old 12-02-2006, 06:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

T-208 Firsides -been wanting one for years .

Old 12-02-2006, 06:42 AM
Administrator

I think we were only talking about the ones listed in the first post but if not I can always throw in the hands down rarest, T231....T208 is up there though....although about 50x more common than a T231 .....

Old 12-02-2006, 06:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Donald Johnson

What about Mono's?

Old 12-02-2006, 06:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

In my opinion - Griffin's has it exactly right.

Boston Natl, NY Americans, St. Louis Americans, and St. Louis Natl --- in that order.... those are the 'tough 4'. The remaining 12 are readily attainable.

Old 12-02-2006, 06:57 AM
Administrator

I dint take up the Evelyn Woodhead speedreading couse like you did, I read , went haa?...then posted and now am a retard ... thanks to you. CHeers !

edited to add that i forgot shumpin else: I HAVE SEEN 3 t231's over 2 - T208's in the past ,say 7-10 yrs. unless it was my imagination ,your odds haint vg. Now if Iam wrong, this means you are still right. Good day !

Old 12-02-2006, 07:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Prizner

I would also agree that Bob Rhoades is probably the toughest T3, which makes Craig Diamond's post in the T3 set thread so cool.

When he does come up for sale, his prices are pretty comparable to Lajoie or Speaker. Not bad for a pitcher who won less than 100 games!

Old 12-02-2006, 07:03 AM
Administrator

It was a little convoluted but please remember Brian H. is a lawyer and we can't hold that against him....The more they write, the longer it takes, the more they can bill .....(this is a joke Mr.Lawyers....we love ya'll).....

Old 12-02-2006, 07:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Thomas

All of the six square bordered cards are much rarer than the Wagner. The Anderson (new to hobby) that was just auctioned is only the 4th known. In fact most regular Ramlys are as scarce or scarcer than the Wagner. Certainly many E cards Wagners are scarcer than the T206. The mystique of the Wagner and first tier HOF stature and relative scarcity within the T206 issue make it so desired.

Old 12-02-2006, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

FKW mentioned the T206 Doyle NY Natl. card. As long as we are into the realm of T206s, the Cobb back probably deserves a mention with only 12 known. It is not not the absolute rarest, but it can't be too far behind.
JimB

Old 12-02-2006, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

This thread seems to be a mix of the scarcest T card issues and the scarcest cards within each T issue.

As for scarcest T card issues, along with the insanely difficult Mino and Virgina Extra back T216s, the T214 and T215 would have to be up there as well.

I would have to think that the population for each T214 victory and T215 pirate would have to lie somewhere around 1-2.

Although not as difficult, the T215 red cross would have a single digit population of each card as well?

Old 12-02-2006, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Richard the Victory is tough. I had 12 as of last year and am down to 2 and rid of all three HOF'S that i had.

I still have a sgc 30 and a psa 4. Cannot believe that i sold 10 of them, same feeling I had when I moved 70 Cobbs in 1 day.......OUCH !