NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 02-10-2022, 10:19 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
My thermodynamics professor had worked on the Apollo program at NASA; a couple days after that scandal broke, he spent an entire lesson debunking the NFL's case.
The gas laws are or at least were HS physics. Reinforced in college.
I hadn't bothered with the math in decades, but did some when they gave numbers.

When they showed the guages used by the officials, to me that was the clincher.
The ones used were cheap stuff you can get anywhere for a few bucks. Even most decent guages are only accurate 5% lower end of the range 3% mid range and 5% upper end. The cheap ones are more like 10-5-10. And they were using them at the lower end of the range. A difference within the accuracy range of the guage is essentially no difference.
(So if the guage goes to 100psi, a 15 psi reading will actually be between 5 and 25. or between 10 and 20 using a slightly better guage.

The bent pin may have also changed the reading but I'm not certain of that.

Now if they'd used a calibrated guage that was something like 1% .5% 1% that would be a different thing altogether.
Old 02-20-2022, 09:17 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
What sort of team uses signals that can be easily read or learned from videos of practice?
One that really doesn't want to win.
I'm sure there are guys who can sit in the stands and memorize that stuff without a camcorder. And I'm also sure every team employs at least one or two.

Heck, Tony Romo as a broadcaster was saying what plays were before teams ran them just going off where the different players lined up.
But rules are rules for a reason. It's one thing to analyze signals and formations during a game, but quite another to film an opposing team while they are going through their practice time. This is why they were penalized hundreds of thousands of dollars and the loss of draft picks. I, for one, believe it gave them a decided edge during those early 2000s. One year the Colts averaged over 30 points per game, but couldn't even get into the end zone against them. It was like they knew what was coming on every play (because they did). It was actually Peyton Manning who busted the Pats. There was an article interview quoting him in Sporting News (I think) during the 2006 season when he said that he knew they videoed the Colts during their practices up there (at Gillette Stadium). About six months later, the scandal of Spygate was revealed.

Last edited by robw1959; 02-20-2022 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-21-2022, 03:11 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw1959 View Post
But rules are rules for a reason. It's one thing to analyze signals and formations during a game, but quite another to film an opposing team while they are going through their practice time. This is why they were penalized hundreds of thousands of dollars and the loss of draft picks. I, for one, believe it gave them a decided edge during those early 2000s. One year the Colts averaged over 30 points per game, but couldn't even get into the end zone against them. It was like they knew what was coming on every play (because they did). It was actually Peyton Manning who busted the Pats. There was an article interview quoting him in Sporting News (I think) during the 2006 season when he said that he knew they videoed the Colts during their practices up there (at Gillette Stadium). About six months later, the scandal of Spygate was revealed.
The simple solution is to use different signals in practice than you use in the game. Not doing that is in my mind really dumb and just the sort of stupid the Jets seem to like.

Filming the practice or signals isn't against the rules, and wasn't then. It was a matter of where the recording was done from.
All teams film all their games no doubt including signals. That's allowed from some areas. Pre 2006 it was pretty much ok from wherever.
It's not allowed to use that footage in the same game, which everyone admits was not done.

The rule in question.
Article 9.1 (C) (14) of the Constitution and Bylaws of the NFL (p 39 of this pdf): No member shall: "Use at any time, from the start to the finish of any game in which a club is a participant, any communications or information gathering equipment, other than Polaroid-type cameras or field telephones, including without limitation videotape machines, telephone tapping or bugging devices, or any other form of electronic devices that might aid a team during the playing of a game.”

How that applies when they have the teams using tablets I can't say. Perhaps it changed when they got the Microsoft sponsorship.

That quoted rule above is from this writeup of it all
https://yourteamcheats.com/what-is-spygate
Old 02-21-2022, 06:20 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
The simple solution is to use different signals in practice than you use in the game. Not doing that is in my mind really dumb and just the sort of stupid the Jets seem to like.

Filming the practice or signals isn't against the rules, and wasn't then. It was a matter of where the recording was done from.
All teams film all their games no doubt including signals. That's allowed from some areas. Pre 2006 it was pretty much ok from wherever.
It's not allowed to use that footage in the same game, which everyone admits was not done.

The rule in question.
Article 9.1 (C) (14) of the Constitution and Bylaws of the NFL (p 39 of this pdf): No member shall: "Use at any time, from the start to the finish of any game in which a club is a participant, any communications or information gathering equipment, other than Polaroid-type cameras or field telephones, including without limitation videotape machines, telephone tapping or bugging devices, or any other form of electronic devices that might aid a team during the playing of a game.”

How that applies when they have the teams using tablets I can't say. Perhaps it changed when they got the Microsoft sponsorship.

That quoted rule above is from this writeup of it all
https://yourteamcheats.com/what-is-spygate
So I guess the penalties were indiscriminate and unjust in your opinion? We all have an opinion, but it is what it is - just another reminder that the Patriots would try to win at all costs, regardless of the rules. Belichick tried to apologize for his "misinterpretation" of the rules, but Dungy wasn't having any of it. He publicly criticized Belichick, saying that the rules are so clear that they couldn't be misinterpreted without some intent to break them.
Old 03-02-2022, 08:10 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw1959 View Post
So I guess the penalties were indiscriminate and unjust in your opinion? We all have an opinion, but it is what it is - just another reminder that the Patriots would try to win at all costs, regardless of the rules. Belichick tried to apologize for his "misinterpretation" of the rules, but Dungy wasn't having any of it. He publicly criticized Belichick, saying that the rules are so clear that they couldn't be misinterpreted without some intent to break them.
The penalties were more about disobeying the commissioner than the rule breaking. I'm trying to remember if it was this one or a different thing where the penalty was way beyond what the rules called for. (Or if it was both?)

That website is a fun one by the way. It pretty well covers all the stuff each team has done to try to get an edge that wasn't quite by the book.
Old 03-13-2022, 05:40 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

That didn't last long. He's back.
Old 03-13-2022, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
That didn't last long. He's back.
Maybe the Falcons can finally beat him in ‘22, the Bears did for the first time in '20.

Last edited by Cliff Bowman; 03-13-2022 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-13-2022, 06:24 PM
Peter Spaeth

I bet Giselle is not happy. For years she's been legitimately terrified of concussions.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-13-2022, 07:48 PM
David M.

I warned you in Post #34. He was just playing with us.
Old 03-13-2022, 07:48 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I bet Giselle is not happy. For years she's been legitimately terrified of concussions.
One other person who might not be happy would be the winner of this...
https://auction.lelands.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=108647

Not sure last TD in first retirement has the same ring to it as last TD of your career.
Old 03-13-2022, 07:51 PM
Chase

Quote:
Giselle not worry herself too much over concussions. Typically they do not happen that often to wives of NFL players.
Old 03-13-2022, 08:29 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Giselle not worry herself too much over concussions. Typically they do not happen that often to wives of NFL players.
As long as they stay out of elevators I guess that's right.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-14-2022, 07:04 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Clever.... you set that one up beautifully.
Old 03-15-2022, 08:39 AM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

Quote:
I see what you did there..Nice!!
Successful transactions: sycks22, charlietheextervminator, Scocs, Thromdog, trdcrdkid, mybuddyinc, troutbum97, Natedog, Kingcobb, usernamealreadytaken, t206fanatic, asoriano, rsdill2, hatchetman325, cobbcobb13, dbfirstman, Blunder19, Scott L. ,Eggoman, ncinin, vintagewhitesox, aloondilana, btcarfagno, ZiggerZagger, blametony, shammus, Kris19, brewing, rootsearcher60, Pat R , sportscardpete , Leon , OriolesHOF , Gobucsmagic74, Pilot172000, Chesbro41, scmavl,t206kid,3-2-count,GoldenAge50s