NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-04-2012, 04:47 PM
Scott S

Default What is the best way to ship a pennant?

Probably a very simple question for any pennant collectors, but....

I've got a number of pennants I was looking to sell - nothing expensive - more like $20-$40 type items. (Actually many of them are 1980's pennants with autographs I got in person.) I've never bought / sold pennants online; they were all bought years ago in person. So I've never seen what is an acceptable manner of shipping them.

Do folks fold pennants to mail them? Is there a standard manner of packaging?

Any advice would be appreciated from those who have done this before!

Thanks!
Scott
Old 09-04-2012, 05:40 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Default Pennants

I ship a lot of pennants, but they are better pennants where condition is a priority. I ship all of my pennants flat. What I do is combine two flat priority shipping boxes together by pushing the ends together and taping the seams. It is hard to explain and you also have to not use the "flat rate" boxes they have. The problem with pennants 70's and newer is that if you fold them over they show creases unlike the older ones. If you don't have too many you could probably just cut some cardboard pieces to fit. Hope that helps a little, Jason
Old 09-04-2012, 05:56 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
I ship all of my pennants flat. What I do is combine two flat priority shipping boxes together by pushing the ends together and taping the seams. It is hard to explain and you also have to not use the "flat rate" boxes they have.
I do the same thing....but I notch out the ends of one of the boxes so that they fit in the middle more snugly. I also have Do Not Bend stickers that I put on the box.

BTW, I also ship newspapers the same way only you use 1 box instead.

Jeff
Old 09-04-2012, 08:40 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

I might also add that writing "do not bend" on the package may or may not have any effect on whether the package is bent in shipping. I certainly wouldn't count on that warning saving an otherwise flimsy packing job. On big, flat items like that, I prefer to double up the layers of cardboard so that, if the postman wants to bend it, he's going to have to smash that thing over his knee to do so. Cardboard is light and super cheap, you can cut it to whatever shape you want, and if you tape solidly around all sides, it's basically like shipping a light board.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:16 PM
Belltown Vintage

I had 8 vintage ones. Shipped the first four folded in half over a big wad of bubble wrap. It worked fine, but when I asked the same question you are asking, I was told to ship flat...so I shipped the last 4 flat, and it was actually very easy - even easier than the careful fold job.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:09 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Most collectors (myself included) prefer flat shipping. Most collectors are also willing to pay a bit extra for flat shipping.

Even the older soft felt pennants can incur damage, if folded or bent too severely. Although the felt can withstand being folded or bent, the painted graphics tend to crack and/or pucker when bent too far.

Lots of ebay sellers like to ship them "rolled" (often around a paper towell cardboard core). Usually this is ok, but I have had a few in which the paint cracked or even flaked off. Just something to look out for...

Hope this is helpful
Old 09-05-2012, 05:48 AM

Default Pennants

I use the same 2 priority mail boxes placed end to end idea, slipped into eachother. I then also to give more support take a third priority box, cut one side of the tabs at the end off so that the sides with the adhesive are exposed, then place that box at the center of the 2 attached boxes, to provide extra support and to prevent it from being bent in half. Hope that makes sense, its easy to do but hard to descibe.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:41 AM
James

I also use priority boxes slipped into each other. Then I cut them down to size, giving them a triangular shape and tape heavily all around the open seams.

It really is important to ship it flat.

http://www.collectorfocus.com/collec...wnscollector78
Old 09-05-2012, 08:14 AM
Scott S

Thanks to all for the feedback - some good advice here!

Scott
Old 09-05-2012, 08:19 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

One other thing...if you use the adhesive strips to seal the ends, make sure that the tip or end of the pennant does not get stuck to this. I ship everything in plastic anyway, but once a newspaper slipped out of the plastic and got stuck and I had to refund the customers money.

Jeff
Old 09-05-2012, 08:49 AM
Mike

I use the priority 38" tube boxes (you can order free from PO). Two of them opposite and put together works great. They are thick and do not bend. Weight with 1 pennant is usually 1lb 3 or 4oz. Mike
Old 09-05-2012, 09:55 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
One other thing...if you use the adhesive strips to seal the ends, make sure that the tip or end of the pennant does not get stuck to this. I ship everything in plastic anyway, but once a newspaper slipped out of the plastic and got stuck and I had to refund the customers money.

Jeff
This was a very important comment. Ive received many with tips damaged, due to either the following...

Tip was touching adhesive strip, and it took a portion of felt with it.

Tip was too close to the edge of the box, and got caught in the sealing tape.

By simply placing the pennant in a plastic sleeve, this can be avoided. The plastic also protects pennant from potentially getting wet (a recurring issue here in Seattle). I wish there was a way to make the plastic sleeves mandatory for ebay sellers. The major auction houses almost always use them.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:51 AM
Hank Thomas

I've bought many pennants over the years, and always request this shipping method: place the pennant (in a plastic sleeve if possible) around the inside perimeter of a box the size of the deeper priority box. In other words, in a loose roll around the inside of the box. Then fill the middle of the box with enough paper (not newspaper if there's no plastic sleeve) that will keep the pennant firmly in place around the outside interior of the box. Similarly with posters and broadsides, I'd rather have them rolled up inside a tube than attempted to ship flat. No matter how strong the cardboard, a flat item of any size will have at least one amazing crease that it seems would have taken a man holding half of the package in place with his foot and bending up with the other half until the cardboard had been bent 90 degrees, with a similar crease now embedded in the piece. And writing "do not bend" anywhere on a package seems to pretty much guarantee this result. The loose roll in a large box method, on the other hand, eliminates the possibility of creasing a pennant and keeps the heavy paint on older ones from cracking. And it's certainly true that the incredibly strong glue USPS uses to seal their priority boxes can be a serious hazard to the contents.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:12 PM

I guess thats why the post office is bankrupt. Everybody is using their priority mail boxes
Old 05-11-2013, 07:45 PM
JJ

Thanks Hank! Awesome idea!

Last edited by nameless; 05-11-2013 at 07:45 PM.