NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-06-2008, 02:59 AM
Administrator

Default Impossible find? probably not

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

This is probably not that impossible, but how rare is this card?

http://tinyurl.com/2knakx

Old 02-06-2008, 06:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave S

Condition aside, don't think it's that tough to find...
Is that the seller that has been mentioned as a non-payer?

Old 02-06-2008, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

That card belongs in this thread:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/thread/1201897921/last-1202164633/over+hyped+%2C+and+over+priced+pre-war+cards%21

Old 02-06-2008, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

and I assure you there is not another in existence and probably never will be...

Old 02-06-2008, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

I bought the complete set of this issue for $30 in about 1985. All the cards were in superb shape. I sold them a few years ago the National. I almost had to pay to get rid of them. Very little interest. Times have changed.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott L

Seller is a board member if I'm not mistaken, maybe he'll chime in.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

The PSA-8 grade is impossible. It would get an "A" like all other sharp strip cards if graded now.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: sampson21

Hello folks,
I am new the page and it looks great. I have a question about this card. I have one of these in very similar condition to the one here, but has an autographed on back, in pencil, and dated 12-31-41 by Cobb.
Would one of guys be able to help me with a ball park estimate on something like this? I bought it about 15 years ago. I've never been able to find any info to use as ground work.
Any help?
Thanks

Old 02-09-2008, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

sampson,i am not a big fan of graded cards but that is a card that you should send in to be slabbed and authenticated. so far as price,you can only speculate,but if deemed authentic i would think easily over $1000.00.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Administrator

I think you're a bit high Dennis. Pencil hurts the value some, as does the "1941" date. I'd guess $6-700 range depending on card's condition and clarity of signature.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

i thought i was low. he said card is in similiar condition,near mint. cobb dated most of his autos and most are very nice, but the pencil is odd.but new years eve 1941 is a very nice date. and last is i would gladly pay $700.00 for a autographed ty cobb card. which means it's probaly worth a whole lot more.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Douple-P-Enterprises

As requested, I can chime in. It's my card/my sale and while not an "impossible find" as I found one, it is in fact the only "8" Cobb in existence. Could there be another? Certainly. But it would be tough to match. Both PSA and SGC will in fact "number grade" any strip card that meets the qualifications of having a cut that keeps the base card intact (or something like that). They are just tough to come across and most strip cards are only "authentic graded". This card would certainly meet the number grade each and every time. I have recently received several # grades from both SGC & PSA and could not be more pleased with the interest Strip cards have been getting. Strip cards were all but ignored until recently and they have been going up considerably which is reflective of their toughness in the market. As this forum is not for hyping ones' auctions, that's definately enough said. But I do appreciate the positive attention.

In regards to someone's "non-payer" comment about someone with a very solid reputation on Ebay and this board - please. I had a recent issue where I asked someone to accept Paypal for a significant $$ transaction and when not accepted, payment was mailed. While occasional issues can and do arise for anyone, I can't even add up the money I've purchased/sold both Ebay and this board with absolutely no issues of any significance or harm/loss to anyone. So please get all the facts prior to posting something untrue. Thank you!

As for the Ty Cobb autograph, that would be something to see and I'm certain all on the board would love to see it (please post picture if you can). There are many experts here that could give you a very good idea as to whether it were an authentic Cobb Auto. And while Cobb auto's are not that difficult, recent examples on sportscard issues have sold for considerable sums. I've never personally seen a strip autographed and while it certainly wouldn't sell for as much as a tobacco/candy auto'ed on front, it would get considerable interest. I wouldn't worry too much about the "pencil" on the back. Strip cards of Babe Ruth and Joe Jackson with pencil writing on the back went sky high on Ebay a couple months ago. If the pencil marks are referencing a specific date of Cobb-lore or the date he signed, it would be even more significant in my opinion. If the owner does decide to sell the Cobb Auto, there is no better place than right here on the B/S/T - thanks Leon (I doubt many truely appreciate the cost and time you put into this).

A couple of my favorite strip cards to show that in fact both PSA and SGC will certainly reward strip cards whith "number" grades where applicable:

Old 02-10-2008, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Double-P, I'll assume you are referring to the above "question-only" I posted regarding your solid reputation. It was ONLY a question not an attack. And just curious as to another member's reply to an earlier thread you started; in case you missed it:

"I just had a run of auctions end in which one card, for $8,000, was fraudulently bid on and won by smartemptennis. As if that were not enough, in the same set of auctions I have another deadbeat bidder who won two items and is trying to dictate the terms of how he wants to pay. My auctions clearly state no paypal in several places and there is no logo on the auction showing I take paypal but that hasn't stopped the bidder, ppgustafson, from winning two items, making excuses and demands and not feeling he has any responsibility to pay."

Old 02-10-2008, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: sampson21

Thanks to all for the feedback. I will put some scans up when I get back from vacation (Monday) to see what you all think about the Cobb auto.