NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-17-2015, 04:09 PM
Jerry

Default T205 back premiums

Hello ... can someone help me figure out what kind of premium I should expect to pay for the the following T205 backs?:

Piedmont 42
American Beauty Black
American Beauty Green
Cycle

For instance ... the PSA SMR lists T205 commons in Poor condition as $15. But as far as I can tell there are no premiums listed by PSA for rarer backs. So would it be $15 plus a 10% premium for a Cycle back, etc? I know prices fluctuate based on eye appeal, player, team ... as completed auctions show ... but I was trying to determine some sort of current premium guideline for the four backs listed above. Any assistance or pointers appreciated. Thanks! Jerry.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:07 PM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Just pay what your comfortable with. Some tough FB combos will set you back regardless. Some are very common and command very little premium. Don't ever pay a premium on Cycles. I had so many at one time I know for a fact they are not rare. There are 3-4 guys hoarding them. Best of luck.

Member since 2009
Old 06-18-2015, 03:34 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Matty

I'd pay a small premium for a Cycle Mathewson. Please find me one.

AB backs are attractive too, if not especially rare. They do seem to get a small boost, but I agree with Andrew...if you just want a few along with your collection, then grab one that costs about the same as a common back (can be done easily with patience) Just don't expect to find every card available in AB backs and you'll be fine.

Pied 42's are the tough one for me. There are far fewer of those than Pied 25's but there are far fewer who care. WHile they should cost more due to their relative rarity, they might be sold as simply a Piedmont at a common price.

These cards just aren't T206 so the broad collector base hasn't warmed to every nuance in the set and chased them down throwing giant dollars towards unusual examples.

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:37 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

To me the backs on the 06s are overwhelming to keep track of. The 05 backs still present unique challenges and subset collecting without the mind numbing minutia. Having said that, the work being done deconstructing the monster is incredible and my hats off to those collectors decoding it.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:43 PM
Jerry

Default T205 backs

Thanks for the replies. Andrew ... thank you for the heads up on the Cycles! Brian ... wish I could help you out on the Matty :-) And indeed I just want a few of the rarer backs just so I can say I have one :-) And thanks for the encouragement about patience! BTW ... loved your SGC T205 master set! Econ ... agreed about the amount of back research being done on T206. Pretty amazing! I do love the T206 backs. And T202 is pretty cool as well :-) Thanks again for the replies!

PS: So at this point I will be patient and not pay too much of a premium for those backs. With the understanding that they are a bit more scarce ... so your YMMV.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:38 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

I have been collecting the AB backs (not really hoarding them, as I do have some duplicates but typically those came in lots). There seem to be some fluxes in pricing, at times I expect to pay a premium because I know the front/back combo is rare I put in a max bid that ends up being up to 4x - 10x what I end up paying.

As noted in my signature there are 4 more blacks and 15 more greens I need. Just finding a random one both colors will be about the same to find, but if you are looking for a specific front/back most greens are going to be harder than any particular black.

There is just absolutely no exact formula for figuring price on them. I at one time was buying up Pied 42 when I first got into collecting t205 but didn't find them interesting enough. I still have one, but sold off the rest and didn't get any premium even when advertised as P42.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:27 PM
John Hanssen

I use to buy Pied 42 when I could because I had time to search lot after lot for ones flying under the radar. The same with AB, Cycle, Hass 30, Sov, but I still do not pay a bump price for anything. They are all out there if your not in a hurry.

T205 are not T206s the best thing about T205 backs is the write up and stats. We leave the crazy to T206 for the most part (with exceptions). You guys know how you are and what combo's you seek.
Old 06-20-2015, 01:43 PM
Paul Herbener

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytoad View Post
I'd pay a small premium for a Cycle Mathewson. Please find me one.
I know I've read earlier posts as to the abundance of T205 Cycle Matty's but I've only seen one for sale in the past 6 months and bought it. Personally I'm surprised that the enthusiasm for T206 alternates hasn't spilled over to the T205's by now. I love the set and like the stats on the back. Don't get me wrong, I love the monster and especially the horizontal poses but the T205's should get more love.

Paul