NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-14-2012, 03:29 PM
Matt Hall

If you are going to judge whether or not everything good is graded by looking at eBay and your own collecting habits, then yes, everything good is graded.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:08 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ŘΝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
The stuff you see is the stuff for sale. That's it. Why are you assuming that everything that is out there is for sale? As Adam stated, the only conclusion you can draw is that out of the stuff for sale, 90% is graded.

Many, many cards out there in people's collections that is not for sale even with an offer on the table. Trust me. There are some cards I've been pestering people about that just aren't going to come out of their collections.

So, just because you see a catalog with cards in it or a table with cards on it or ebay with cards listed that are 90% graded doesn't mean that's all there is.
Perfectly said. I know of many extremely nice cards that aren't slabbed. They have been in private collections for 20 + years. If they were to ever be sold, they would likely get slabbed, but there is a TON of stuff out there in personal collections that aren't in slabs right now. People just don't know about them because they aren't sitting on eBay with a high BIN.

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 06-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Scott

Default crackers

as there are several self proclaimed CRACKERS on this board, there will always be a supply of nice RAW cards since these people decrease the numbers of slabbed cards...

now when they or their kids try to sell these CRACKED cards, they will surely garner less interest and value than if they left them slabbed...

smelling cards is overrated, and gross
Old 06-14-2012, 04:50 PM
Joe M.

I know of 4 or 5 old time collectors that have great collections of pre war cards, sports and non sports and they are not graded, so I think your number is high.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290
Old 06-14-2012, 05:18 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
there are millions of cards out there, and waaaay less than .1% on ebay. most nice cards are in peoples attics or collections, and not up for sale. when people want to put them up for sale, then they have them graded and slabbed, but there are a lot ungraded and unslabbed in nice condition because they are in a collection with someone who is not considering selling at this time. Lots of people with unfiinished sets who will probably only get them graded after they are finished and consider selling, not before. just my opinion.
+1

Dead on. Just because a high percentage of cards for sale have been graded, does not translate to the universe of cards in existance.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:27 PM
Tim Bro.ad

I keep all my cards ungraded cards in glassine envelopes.

I envision a day in 10 or 20 years where sportscard collectors become horrified to find out that the chemicals in the hard plastic slabs actually breakdown and cause damage to the card stock.

These plastic holders, likely made in China, from a long list of chemicals, have only been around for 10 years or so we really don't know the long term effects.

I hope none of you high end graded speciman collectors, lose the ability to have a peacefull sleep tonight. These were not my intentions.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:47 PM
Manny

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSH2112 View Post
I keep all my cards ungraded cards in glassine envelopes.

I envision a day in 10 or 20 years where sportscard collectors become horrified to find out that the chemicals in the hard plastic slabs actually breakdown and cause damage to the card stock.

These plastic holders, likely made in China, from a long list of chemicals, have only been around for 10 years or so we really don't know the long term effects.

I hope none of you high end graded speciman collectors, lose the ability to have a peacefull sleep tonight. These were not my intentions.
You may want to alert Lucious and Spence about the possible chemical reactions of plastic on their prestine collections.

This thread is entertaining though.

The ungraded card snobs vs. the Slab elitists.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:59 PM

Default educated guesses welcome

I just chose 5 completely random semi high-end cards and looked up the PSA approx. pops in grade 5 and higher:

1915 Cracker Jack Mathewson = 60
1916 M101-4 Sporting News Cobb = 20
T206 Piedmont W. Johnson hands chest = 25
1933 Goudey #53 Ruth = 150
1949 Bowman Satchell Paige = 310

Now what are your guesses as to legit PSA 5 and higher non-graded? If you multiply each by 5 you would get:

1915 CJ Matty = 300
1916 SportNews Cobb = 100
T206 Piedmont W.Johnson = 125
1933 Goudey Ruth = 750
1949 Bowman Paige = 1,500+

Are these the type of true worldly non-graded pops for these random chosen cards?
Old 06-14-2012, 06:14 PM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetBuilder View Post
You may want to alert Lucious and Spence about the possible chemical reactions of plastic on their prestine collections.

This thread is entertaining though.

The ungraded card snobs vs. the Slab elitists.
Spence might be more worried about the cards damaging the plastic.

Lol and Jk
Old 06-14-2012, 06:16 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
I just chose 5 completely random semi high-end cards and looked up the PSA approx. pops in grade 5 and higher:

1915 Cracker Jack Mathewson = 60
1916 M101-4 Sporting News Cobb = 20
T206 Piedmont W. Johnson hands chest = 25
1933 Goudey #53 Ruth = 150
1949 Bowman Satchell Paige = 310

Now what are your guesses as to legit PSA 5 and higher non-graded? If you multiply each by 5 you would get:

1915 CJ Matty = 300
1916 SportNews Cobb = 100
T206 Piedmont W.Johnson = 125
1933 Goudey Ruth = 750
1949 Bowman Paige = 1,500+

Are these the type of true worldly non-graded pops for these random chosen cards?
I believe that's likely to be about right.

The CJ and sporting News are probably a bit tougher than 5x, the T206 and Goudey very close, and the 49 Paige probably a bit easier than 5x.

I collect some stuff that's very close to those for numbers existing in total, and there's very little grading yet. Those things come up for sale about as often as any of those cards raw in 5 or better. Not often, but not impossible -even on Ebay.

Steve B