NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 07-13-2011, 01:36 PM
byrone byrone is offline
Brian Macdonald
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Prince Edward Island
Posts: 240
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikV View Post
I posted this in the watercooler section of the board
yesterday and got a couple of responses. I guess I'll
chime in here as well.

Every year around this time I get a bit conflicted about the
All-Star break. With a 4-day Fanfest and the Home Run Derby,
the All-Star Game itself is now just a backdrop to baseball
seasons' half-way point. The baseball establishment says the
game is an exhibition for the fans, but as a purist, I'm almost
sickened by the entire spectacle.

My 11 year old son is captivated by All-Star week and as a
way to bond with him, I watched the start of the Home Run
Derby yesterday. The ESPN pre-contest show focused on the
homerun in baseball. In interviewing former players like Johnny
Bench and Joe Torre these former stars commented how back in
their playing days one wouldn't dare admire watching a homerun
or strut around the bases after hitting a homerun. In essence,
former players would be showing up the pitcher by doing this.

All of this has changed. Now, with a sense of entitlement,
homeruns are hit and you have to watch players egos blow up
until they're done celebrating. I think that's why Barry Bonds
was so hated. Ozzie Guillen summed up today's view pretty
well during the pre-contest by saying each player who hits a
homerun should be able to watch "their" homerun without
consequence.

Long forgotten are the days when players would take great
pride playing in an All-Star Game. Now, players such as Derek
Jeter refused to play in the All-Star Game so he could give
himself extra time to recover from his recent stint in the disabled
list!

Due to the All-Star Game getting out of just being a just a big
game of graba$$, the Commissioner had to act a few years back
and put some incentive back into the game, so the All-Star Games
"really counts."

I don't really care anymore who wins the All-Star Game, nor who
plays in it. I think the whole thing is redicilious and the joke is
on the fans. Thanks for letting me vent.

ErikV
If I'm a pitcher and a guy admires a HR off me, he gets drilled next pitch.

Simple as that
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-13-2011, 01:48 PM
Robextend's Avatar
Robextend Robextend is offline
Rob Miller
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Middlesex, NJ
Posts: 2,928
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Rob, you proved my point though. I work for an offshore engineering company in Houston. I, too, am expected to project a professional appearance. However, the guys in the mailroom and office services have tats and earrings, but those aren't "professional" jobs. Construction is a profession, but is not a "professional" occupation. IMO, MLB is a professional company and their employees should maintain an appearance of any other professional company.

In other words, in the real world, Wilson and Fielder would have mailroom or construction type jobs - not that there is anything wrong with that. They wouldn't have professional jobs because of their appearance. Why should it be different with MLB - a professional company?
The game and everything about it including the appearance of its players has changed from what the norm used to be. There has never been an MLB wide policy on tattoos or facial hair. If the players want to express themselves in such a way, and the ballclub has no set rules, it is well within their right to do so. If my company didn't have written policies on dress code, then I would be well within my right to dress the way I felt. Whether you agree or disagree with the way Brian Wilson, Prince Fielder, or anyone else looks like that is certainly understandable on a personal level. However, if I held your position I would be more inclined to blame MLB, or the particular team rather than the ballplayer. As I said, if my company allowed shorts, sandals and a Hawaiian shirt every day...I would be that person.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-13-2011, 02:17 PM
vintagetoppsguy's Avatar
vintagetoppsguy vintagetoppsguy is offline
D@v!d J@m3s
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Richmond, TX
Posts: 4,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robextend View Post
The game and everything about it including the appearance of its players has changed from what the norm used to be. There has never been an MLB wide policy on tattoos or facial hair. If the players want to express themselves in such a way, and the ballclub has no set rules, it is well within their right to do so. If my company didn't have written policies on dress code, then I would be well within my right to dress the way I felt. Whether you agree or disagree with the way Brian Wilson, Prince Fielder, or anyone else looks like that is certainly understandable on a personal level. However, if I held your position I would be more inclined to blame MLB, or the particular team rather than the ballplayer. As I said, if my company allowed shorts, sandals and a Hawaiian shirt every day...I would be that person.
Well said!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-13-2011, 02:22 PM
ChiefBenderForever's Avatar
ChiefBenderForever ChiefBenderForever is offline
Johnny S
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lost in Connecticut
Posts: 1,261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
I care because it is a disrespect to Major League Baseball. Most professional companies have guidelines regarding personal appearance. That's just a fact. Rob, here's a question. No matter how qualified, do you think these guys could get a job at your company looking they way they do? I'm guessing probably not. Why should MLB be any different?
Many professional companies are prejiduce but many are not, if qualifed, yes they would be able to get a job at most Fortune 500 companies as the 1980's are long gone.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-13-2011, 02:49 PM
Jason's Avatar
Jason Jason is offline
Jason Wells
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Richmond,Va
Posts: 2,192
Default

Since i have very extensive tattooing i feel a bit put off by this whole talk about discriminating based on appearance.I also choose to have a beard.I consider myself a good person and i do hold a professional job.Just because people look different that doesnt mean they are less of a person,man,or human being than someone who looks "conservative".Scumbags come in all forms not just bearded and tattooed.Other than that the All Star Game has become a joke i agree.Jason Wells

Last edited by Jason; 07-13-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-13-2011, 03:33 PM
39special's Avatar
39special 39special is offline
$teve O.
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Berks County Pa.
Posts: 2,613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheT206Fiend View Post
Since i have very extensive tattooing i feel a bit put off by this whole talk about discriminating based on appearance.I also choose to have a beard.I consider myself a good person and i do hold a professional job.Just because people look different that doesnt mean they are less of a person,man,or human being than someone who looks "conservative".Scumbags come in all forms not just bearded and tattooed.Other than that the All Star Game has become a joke i agree.Jason Wells
Well said!!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-13-2011, 03:47 PM
vintagetoppsguy's Avatar
vintagetoppsguy vintagetoppsguy is offline
D@v!d J@m3s
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Richmond, TX
Posts: 4,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefBenderForever View Post
Many professional companies are prejiduce but many are not, if qualifed, yes they would be able to get a job at most Fortune 500 companies as the 1980's are long gone.
It's not a matter of being prejiduce or not. It's a matter of companies wanting to project a professional appearance to their clients. I disagree with your statement. I think most Fortune 500 companies would not hire someone covered in tattoos regardless of their qualifications (especially in this job market). Yes, the '80s are long gone, but presenting a professional appearance is still very much a part of business. And no, tattoos do not project a professional appearance.

For the record I have a scorpion tattoo on my upper right arm - something I did 15 years ago in my younger days. However, it can not be seen even with a short sleeve shirt. This is not just about tattoos, it is about projecting a professional appearance whether it's tattoos, a beard that looks like a bird's nest or a mohawk haircut.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-13-2011, 03:57 PM
DaveW DaveW is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bay Area Calif
Posts: 404
Default

You have to remember that the MLB is more entertainment industry than business or sports. The players today are more like Lady Gaga than Cary Grant because that is what sells. Even as a Giants fan, I'm getting tired of the Brian Wilson Show and Fear the Beard, but I understand that it's just his shtick and that's what sets him apart (from a branding point of view) from the other players.
I might wish that they were better role models for my kids, but I also wish all the rappers and other entertainers were better role models also.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-13-2011, 04:15 PM
kcohen's Avatar
kcohen kcohen is offline
Ke.n K0hen
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 708
Default

I went to All Star games in 1962 and 1969. Great memories. As I'm long since unable to view the All Star game through the eyes of a child, I haven't watched one in over 30 years.

Inter-league play has made it even less unique and interesting, if that's possible. It was a thrill for a kid in an AL town to get to see Mays, Aaron, Clemente, Musial, et al. Now, who cares.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-13-2011, 05:44 PM
ChiefBenderForever's Avatar
ChiefBenderForever ChiefBenderForever is offline
Johnny S
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lost in Connecticut
Posts: 1,261
Default

I agree tough to find good role models, thank God for politicians, big bankers,and wall street brokers.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1918 Exhibition Game RPPCs and great article bijoem Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used 11 03-18-2010 07:33 AM
The (Missouri) Waggoner-Zimmer's Baseball Game Archive Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used 0 05-05-2008 08:43 PM
Let's Play a Game Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 30 10-27-2005 07:25 AM
2002 ALL STAR GAME FARCE (and Selig,the puppet comissioner) Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 13 07-13-2002 02:07 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 AM.


ebay GSB