NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-23-2011, 07:03 PM

Default Centering

Is the most important thing about a card centering?

If it is not near perfect centering, it probably will not get my dollar. I find this is more true the older I get.

I now won't buy a card that is worse than 55/45 centered. I usually end up eventually selling the 60/40 or worse stuff. But the better than 45/55 stuff makes it to the safe deposit box.

I would consider buying a PSA 1, if awesome centering. I would not even consider a PSA 8 that is worse than 60/40. Since I am not a set collector, I am not forced to fill a hole with a sub-par card. I can understand set collectors buying off center stuff.

I saw a PSA 8.5 that was 60/40 with tilt cut, yes tilt cut - couldn't believe it.

Is centering the most important factor for you? If not, what?
Old 02-23-2011, 07:07 PM
Eric Shaeffer

Centering comes second to me after registration. I think an off center beater card can still have great eye appeal as long as the image is crisp and colorful.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:10 PM
Fred

I don't mind 70/30. What I don't like too much is 90/10 or worse.

I'd take a card with 70/30 if it was a card I wanted and someone wanted to discount the card because of the centering. What I dislike are completely rounded corners (unless they're supposed to be round) or cards with thick creases.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:31 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

centering shmentering. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:48 PM
Dan Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
Is the most important thing about a card centering?

Is centering the most important factor for you? If not, what?
Same with me. When I first started buying I barely paid attention to centering, now it's the first thing I look at. I actually just received a PSA 8 today that I am not happy with the centering and I'm bidding on a PSA 7 to replace it!

I vote for another grading category i.e. PSA 8 C1-->10 to save me time looking at all the off-center cards. Even better it would make VCP pricing more accurate. I just looked at a card yesterday that ranged from $460 - $650 for the same grade. VCP pricing at a glance makes you think the $460 guy got a great buy and the $650 overpaid. I would have rather been the $650 buyer.

Dan
Old 02-23-2011, 07:58 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

I too echo that centering is most important factor for me as well. Registration is a very close second though. A perfectly centered card with great registration is what gets my attention. I try and judge each card on its own merits but I'm definately drawn to centered cards.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:03 PM
Larry

One of the nicest things about this hobby--aside from all of the very knowledgable, helpful persons who are members here (you can all take a bow guys!)--is that you can collect what you like. Personally, I primarily collect stars and hall-of-famers, and agree that eye-appeal is very, very important. However, if you're after some really rare cards of key players, you may have to take what you can get, and upgrade later, when and if the opportunity presents itself. Again, it depends entirely upon what you like!
From time to time, I find myself pursuing "true" rookie cards of hall-of-famers, such as the 1947 Tip Top Bread Spahn, Kiner and Berra. It took me about ten years to find a Kiner offered alone, rather than in a large lot at auction. I almost passed on a poor example that had been written on several years ago, reconsidered, and went ahead and purchased the card. I have always been glad I did, since the only one I have seen offered alone since was another PSA 1, which wasn't really much better than my example! I also bought a Spahn graded PSA 1 MK after almost passing on it due to condition. Then I checked the PSA pop report and found that PSA had only graded six examples (which hasn't changed in quite awhile), with the highest being PSA 1! Another member of this board recently commented that the Spahn is the toughest star card to obtain from the set, as it is a short print in a set that is basically pretty rare itself.
Similarly, I recently purchased a 1956 Kahn's Frank Robinson, after passing on one with back damage more than a decade ago. Interestingly, the card I passed on (then offered by Larry Fritsch) may well have been the very same one that recently became available to me, as it also had some very minor back damage, but otherwise presented as EX+ (was probably glued in a scrapbook, which left the rest of the card pretty well preserved).
Centering is important, but if you're after a very rare example of a card you've been looking for quite awhile, I personally would buy first and look to possibly upgrade later!
Old 02-23-2011, 08:17 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

As long as it has 4 borders I could care less about centering....

Leave the 80/20 cards for me, Im happy to pick them up for 1/3rd the price of 50/50
Old 02-23-2011, 09:44 PM
Val Kehl

What Frank said + 1. What disturbes the most is paper loss, even if it only affects the advertising on the back. But sometimes, one has to take what one can get. I have a T214 WaJo with a beautiful front that has about 50% paper loss on the back - this really bugs me everytime I look at this card!
Val
Old 02-23-2011, 10:08 PM
Johnny S

With T206 and more available issues yes, but as others said a lot of times you take what you can get, would I like better centering on these, sure, am I ever gonna be able to have the chance, doubtful, and even if I did they probably wont have this fresh eye appeal and honestly it doesn't bother me at all, sometimes an octogon cut is good !

Old 02-24-2011, 08:32 AM
Clayton

I don't mind too much about the cards being perfectly centered. Like the E92 Benders Johnny just showed look awesome to me just the way they are.

I don't like paper loss, or major creasing (a small, almost undetectable crease is ok on occasion).

Also agree sometimes you have to take what you can get.

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 02-24-2011, 08:37 AM
Dan Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
Centering is important, but if you're after a very rare example of a card you've been looking for quite awhile, I personally would buy first and look to possibly upgrade later!
I agree 100%. There are cards that I would buy no matter what the centering was like. I personally was referring to cards that you'd have a selection choice (i.e. 69T PSA8 Reggie Jackson).

Dan
Old 02-24-2011, 09:31 AM
Tony Quinn

As long as it has some border on all sides it's all good. I hate creases, that's what stops me from buying cards that I would otherwise like to have in my collection. To each his own!
Old 02-24-2011, 10:20 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default centering...

Centering is very important to me, the more common the card is that I am acquiring. If it is super scarce then I will take it off centered. If I can find one with better centering then it is very important. Since one of my focuses is on types that are rare, the centering doesn't matter as much. I hate moderate to major paper loss or creases through the face even more. For these, I could have cared less about centering...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pwunc1915x4c.jpg (76.2 KB, 174 views)
Old 02-24-2011, 10:38 AM

In a strange way, I actually like it when a card is a bit off-centered. It reminds me of the imperfections of factory printing presses and as long as a flaw is not caused by human hands, I'm OK with it. I'm a mid-grade guy myself. One or two creases is permissable and absolutely no paper loss is allowed.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:55 AM

Default centering kinda depends

Wow, Leon - that Thorpe and Matty - never seen those before. Yes, for super rare items, an off centered card may be as good as you will ever find.

How tolerant you are on centering is also somewhat a factor of the typical grades you collect. If you are a PSA 2 thru 4 guy, then centering is probably less important to you. If you are a PSA 5 and up guy, centering becomes more important.

I would dearly like to acquire a 1948 Leaf Satchell Paige - has anyone ever, in their entire life, seen one centered approx 55/45 or better both directions? If so, I bet it went for some astronomical price.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:47 AM
Dan Paradis

Quote:
I would dearly like to acquire a 1948 Leaf Satchell Paige - has anyone ever, in their entire life, seen one centered approx 55/45 or better both directions? If so, I bet it went for some astronomical price.
I just received this in the mail today! Not Satchell, not centered, but I've been looking for a long time so I "took what I could get"!! I would have paid double to get this same grade card centered.

Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Doby 1948 Leaf.jpg (42.9 KB, 155 views)
Old 02-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Alan U

With vintage cards I don't really pay too much attention to centering, but would obviously prefer a well centered card.

With newer cards I like to get the best centering possible, there was a time I was obsessed with finding a "perfectly" centered 1957 Ernie Banks in EX or better.

-Alan
Old 02-24-2011, 12:07 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I think well center 1979 Ozzie Smith is miscut...in effect off center. the norm...more than 80% seem distictly off center.

Depends on the card. There is a T205 Joss 1 OC on the bay right now that is a beauty. I'll bet it will go for what a weak three would.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:51 PM
Dan Paradis

Quote:
Take your pick... They're not centered, but not that bad either.

Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2-24-2011 3-45-42 PM.jpg (21.1 KB, 136 views)
Old 02-24-2011, 03:14 PM
Steve Birmingham

Yes, centering and registration matter quite a bit to me. The worse it is the better I like it!

Ok, probably not everyones thing, but I like them. Started when I got the Holtzman out of a pack. So far off center and from the edge of the sheet it's about 1/4 inch short. The 75 isn't factory, I was really disappointed when the uy I got it from confessed he'd cut a damaged sheet into nice condition blocks and "salvaged" a couple from the debris. Still interesting as a conversation piece.

I do also like really well centered and registered cards too, it's all the average ones that are a bit dull.

Steve B
Old 02-24-2011, 03:20 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Centering is very important to me, but I think marks on cards are what I dislike most. Again, as stated before, if the card is scarce, and there isn't much of a choice, I'll still take marked cards, but look to upgrade when possible.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:35 PM

Default DanP

Dan P. - Are they all yours? I would keep the better PSA 7 and sell the rest. If yours, how much you ask for the nicer PSA 7?
Old 02-24-2011, 05:36 PM
Matt Wieder

L/R centering is much more important to me then T/B, but registration and lack of major creasing are most important.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:40 PM
Dan Paradis

Quote:
Dan P. - Are they all yours? I would keep the better PSA 7 and sell the rest. If yours, how much you ask for the nicer PSA 7?
NO!! These are just images I dug up. I wish!

Dan
Old 02-24-2011, 06:44 PM
Larry

I think Leon really hit the nail on the head, with some very impressive illustrations--I second the "WOW," nice cards, re the Matty and Thorpe especially!!!

Larry
Old 02-24-2011, 06:53 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default can't believe someone hasn't seen them :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
I think Leon really hit the nail on the head, with some very impressive illustrations--I second the "WOW," nice cards, re the Matty and Thorpe especially!!!

Larry
Thanks for the kind words. I can't believe anyone hasn't seen them as many times I have posted them . I do think they are cool cards...Truly rare cards, that stay rare, are becoming less common .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pt205hindujohnson.jpg (78.7 KB, 100 views)

Last edited by Leon; 02-24-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:04 PM
David M.

It's funny really. It used to be all anyone seemed to care about were the corners. Then with the advent of the registry and since PSA is all about centering, that became a major focus. As someone else said, there is no right or wrong. But to me it all boils down to eye appeal. If a card is majorly off center and just looks bad, I probably won't want it. But if it grades out at as a PSA/SGC 1, but just has some minor paper loss on the back and looks beautiful, I'll take it. That's just my preference.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:08 AM
Eric Brehm

I prefer 55/45 or better on most cards I acquire, whether pre-war or not. I will allow some slack for scarce cards where I can't afford to be that picky, but even then I am not as happy with the card if the centering is much beyond 60/40 or so.

Last edited by ebrehm; 02-26-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:58 AM
Patrick N.

Default Sharp corners

Centering is a nice bonus but not a necessity. I prefer sharp corners over centering as off-centering is a "natural" defect and hence is more acceptable to me...I must say I've started to pay attention to it/appreciate centering more in recent months...example:

On the other hand, I am perfectly happy with my Clemente RC, would rather have this one with sharp-ish corners than a centered one with soft corners:

To each his own, I guess--helps to be flexible on this issue in terms of price.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:07 AM
Chris Counts

I care so little for centering that I actually do searches for "OC' ...