NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-27-2009, 06:35 PM
Shinzo Shimozukawa
Banned

Default .

Last edited by shimozukawa; 02-16-2011 at 11:56 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:18 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Welcome to the forum... it's great to have you aboard!

I would leave those cleats exactly as-is. I have a pair of Tony Perez Cleats from his days with the Big Red Machine (with similar caked on/dried dirt). There are even some old blades of grass imbedded between the sole and the leather uppers.

I have been tempted to clean them on occasion, but have always refrained, as the game-used element is priceless. I am so glad I never touched them, as they are far more interesting with the infield dirt, scuffs, scrapes, etc.

Think of them as you would a game-used bat... the more signs of usage, the better! You would never attempt to clean off ball marks, bat rack streaks, etc. These things all lend themselves to the authenticity of the item, and actually add to the value. With game-used equipment and apparrel, a good rule of thumb is.... the uglier it looks, the better!

BTW... can you mention who's cleats you have?
Old 05-27-2009, 08:55 PM

Most game used collectors leave the dirt on the bottom of the cleats, as its nice and interesting evidence of the game use. I had a pair of 1950s cleats that still had the dirt.

You wouldn't damage the cleats by removing dried dirt from the bottom. The bottom of baseball shoes are usually steal and hard plastic, which is 200X more solid than dirt no matter how old the dirt. I suspect it would come off quite easily.

Shelly died last year, and it did appear that in his last years he was giving an honest effort into being a productive and positive member of the autograph collecting hobby.

Last edited by drc; 05-27-2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:30 PM
Shinzo Shimozukawa
Banned

Last edited by shimozukawa; 02-16-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:02 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I don't think you can hurt them by displaying them. By their nature, a pair of cleats is pretty rugged. If they smell bad, I would definitely remove them from the plastic bag and let them "breathe". Sealing them in plastic may make the problem worse, long-term.

Last edited by perezfan; 05-28-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:04 PM
Shinzo Shimozukawa
Banned

Last edited by shimozukawa; 02-16-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:02 PM
William Peebles

I also wouldn't clean them. The value and the interest is in the game-use, not that they were game-issued. Keep them dirty. Also, don't worry about the signature fading. Paint pen is a lot more durable than ball point or sharpie ink. Even if the signature were to fade, it would only return the shoes to their original game-used state. Though, perhaps he's an extreme narcissist who pre-signs all of his equipment.

As for how to show them off, they should fit into a football display. That shouldn't cost you too much money. I think I've even seen them in the frame section at Michael's and other craft type stores.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:50 PM

A visiting professor is often paid by his main university, but also may have grant money and may be paid by the university he's visiting. Some combination of the three pays the way, varying from case to case. Visiting professors or scholars can be on paid sabbatical from their home university or unpaid sabbatical, the latter usually meaning they have to get funding from somewhere else. If he/she teaches a course the university he is visiting would probably be required by its own rules to pay him for this service.

A visiting assistant professor is a temporary employee, probably paid by the university he is teaching at. He is hired on a temporary basis, perhaps a year, to teach some courses. As a temporary, ephemeral employee, he doesn't get the perks and privileges of long term hires. A visiting assistant professor can be there to fill in gaps or perhaps to pick up the slack for professor who is on sabbatical or ill.

The visiting designation is like with an American visitor on vacation to Paris. France may welcome you and may even pay your way (contest winner?), but you're just a visitor, have to go back home and your trip and visa in no way allow you to claim to be a citizen or resident.

Last edited by drc; 05-28-2009 at 06:27 PM.