NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-07-2006, 06:58 AM
Administrator

Default Moisture in Safety Deposit Boxes

Posted By: Brad Green

For those of you who keep cards in a safety deposit box...

(1) Have you seen moisture in your safety deposit box?

(2) Have you seen evidence that moisture has damaged your baseball cards in the safety deposit box?

(3) Do you use silica gel packets or any other moisture-absorbing materials in your safety deposit box?

Old 05-07-2006, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jackgoodman

1. No. But they did have a musty smell.

2. No.

3. Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes! Desiccant packs are available from stores that sell archival supplies.

Old 05-07-2006, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Jack:

How many packets do you put in your safe deposit box? Should you put one inside the plastic container in the safe deposit box and one outside the plastic container?

How often do you replace them?

Brad

Old 05-07-2006, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

I toss the plastic desicant pellets (from the dogs heartworm pill bottles) into the box as a precaution safety, but it's probably unnecessary.

There was a box of old '31 W517's found in the attic (Whew, not the cellar!)of an old PA farmhouse years ago. (This find was written about in the SCD June, 1998). The cards, 200ct were placed there around 1932. Reportedly, the child played with the cards for about a year before Momma rifled them into the attic where they remained untouched.

In later years the house was abandoned then condemned., Leaks, bustid windows and all utilities shut off for many years... To speed this up, after 66yrs many of those "exposed" cards scored SGC 50, some better. Luckily, I've acquired a few tired and poorly cut star cards from this find (psa A) that were obviously the kids' favs and it's especially rare to know the provenance of the old cardboard we own.

"Scrapps and Zeenut"

Old 05-07-2006, 08:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jackgoodman

Packets come in varying sizes and specify the amount of space they "protect." One in the box should be sufficient. Here is an older link on the subject:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/message/1136848544/last-1136848544/Re-+Card+storage

Hope this helps.

Jack

Old 05-07-2006, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Douglas

Hey everybody . . . we use http://www.gaylord.com/ for our supplies. They carry just about anything.

For a small space, like a safety deposit box, one of these http://www.gaylordmart.com/adblock.asp?abid=7133&sid=3C622AA661BC408E8B75D2BCB93DD4&search_by=desc&search_for=silica should suffice.

Good luck. They also have plenty of UV-blocking supplies as well.

Doug

Old 05-07-2006, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

This was never a concern of mine until a bank in my town was flooded three summers ago. My neighbors lost a number of important documents etc. My bank/safety deposit box is on a hill. My advice would be to consider your geographic area and flood history before depositing your collection in a safety deposit box.

Old 05-07-2006, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris

I never had a problem with, nor saw evidence of moisture, though it did worry me.

I found these air tight containers a few years back:

http://www.organize-everything.com/lolofostco.html

Bought a couple of the "square" ones and put my cards in there. Feel much better about the cards in my safe deposit box.

Old 05-07-2006, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

I have a huge safety deposit box loaded only with slabs. I take it that there is no problem with moisture since these are raw cards and I made sure it is away from bodies of water, not in a low lying spot and a fairly new bank. The only thing that does worry you is that the banks disclaim liability for articles stored in case of fire...

Old 05-07-2006, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul Griggs

I use the 33cuft silica gel box, but one or more of the 3cuft box(s) should work well for a safety deposit box. The nice thing is they have an indicator that lets you know when they need to be reactivated by baking out in the oven.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0005567220673a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=silica&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=silica&noImage=0

Old 05-07-2006, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

but I keep a big packet of silica gel dessicant in the box anyway. Always have.

Old 05-13-2006, 07:26 PM
Administrator

I wanted to let you guys know that I visited my safe deposit box today and found no signs of moisture. As a precaution, I placed a silica gel pack in the box. The cards have been in the safe deposit box for about six months and today was the first time that I went to visit them. Six months is not that long, but I really have no feeling for how long it takes the hydrogen and oxygen in the air to form moisture.

Old 05-14-2006, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

When two of those hydrogens meet up with one of those oxygens, watch out!

Old 05-14-2006, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

I have had my cards in safety deposit boxes for years and never had a problem at all.
JimB

Old 05-14-2006, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Most banks have at least a minimally effective HVAC system...that will include humidity control that keeps ambient levels between 35%-50% RMH.

Paper and cardboard are real happy in that zone.

better to worry about what your home safe is doing..

if your home has no such control....I'd be much more concerned there...regardless of climate

edited to add:
I do occasionally put my hygrometer from my cigar humidor in my safe deposit box and home vault...just to be sure...but those monte #2's always want it back

Old 05-15-2006, 03:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Kravitz

Most of my cards are in SGC holders. Does anyone know if this will protect them from any moisture?

Old 05-15-2006, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

except the impenetrable Beckett slab, and who wants those?

Old 05-15-2006, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I agree, however, personally I will buy a BVG graded card and feel more comfortable with the grade than a GAI one. Those Beckett slabs are almost impenetrable though. I literally have to use a hammer to crack 'em. I would call all slabs "moisture resistant" and not "moisture proof." I do think that with normal care, and kept out of any light rays, that our cards are going to maintain themselves for another 100 yrs.....after that I don't really care....