NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-04-2012, 10:38 AM
Bi11..R0berts

Default Value in VCP showing raw card sales?

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this topic. Perhaps it will become a nice suggestion to VCP. So here goes with my thoughts on this.

I personally would find it valuable if VCP found a way to show recent sales of raw cards and not just graded. I understand the difficulties that presents and there will be many who won't see value but here's my logic. And for any VCP people on the board, I would pay more for this additional data.

1) I buy many raw cards and the pricing data on graded is a point of reference but is apples to oranges and of limited value.
2) When I buy any graded card (like most), I buy the card not the grade, so in effect when I look at VCP, the information like the scan is critical - in many ways as important or more important than the numerical grade from TPG.
3) In a recent thread the majority of posters felt SMR, Becketts, Standard Catalog and any other source were of limited value in helping a buyer/seller in determining market value.
4) The information is available (ebay etc) but there is a void as far as assembling it. I personally don't want to watch every acution of a particular card to establish market value.
5) In the end it's just data and up to the user to do the analysis and determine it's validity - this wouild go for raw or graded.

If VCP showed the raw card sales in a separate section from graded and catogorized the sales based on the grade provided by the seller in the desription and included - similar to as they show for graded:

1) sale date
2) price
3) picture/scan
4) link to ausction

This information would be valuable to me when looking to purchase. I understand most sellers incorrectly or overgrade cards when selling but TPG make mistakes too and in the end it's up to me to analyze what data I have when making any purchase. So I guess what it boils down to for me is; if I have the information I can at least decide what to do with it but I'd love to have the information. The more I have the better prepared I will be to make a sound decision.

Sorry if the post seems rambling or if this is a re-tread of any earlier posts, I could not find one in the archives. I also thought this could be a poll, but the reasons why you all will answer the way you do are as interesting to me as the answer itself.

Happy collecting!
Old 02-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

I don't see it since the grade is what mostly determines the price and most raw cards on Ebay are either off by a couple of grades or shilled up (or both).
Old 02-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Bi11..R0berts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
I don't see it since the grade is what mostly determines the price and most raw cards on Ebay are either off by a couple of grades or shilled up (or both).

Raw or graded can both be shilled so unless VCP is currently making a judgement call and not including auctions that they think were shilled that doesn't really apply in this case to me.

Your point is well taken on incorrect grading by sellers on raw cards, but at least if I see the scan and any other info I have something to go build data for current market on raw cards.

Perhaps a follow up question is how do most on the board determine market value on raw cards? It seems lately that I seem to be bidding against fools that are taking the sellers grade as gospel and bidding using SMR as a guide. Kinda sounds like I'm just bitching now.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:07 PM
Bobby Binder

We are working on some new automated software solutions that if we feel is good enough then we will add RAW cards to the site with an image the same way we do for the graded cards now. I think this will also allow us to start cover the 2000-2010 sets too. If this works it will be purely automated and not checked like we are currently doing now with the sections we cover. Currently a person verifies all the auction listings to be correct before we enter the data into VCP.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Bi11..R0berts

Bobby, that's great news. I understand there has to be limitations due to the volume of auctions you would be covering but I think this information would be very useful.

Thank you.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:54 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyVCP View Post
We are working on some new automated software solutions that if we feel is good enough then we will add RAW cards to the site with an image the same way we do for the graded cards now. I think this will also allow us to start cover the 2000-2010 sets too. If this works it will be purely automated and not checked like we are currently doing now with the sections we cover. Currently a person verifies all the auction listings to be correct before we enter the data into VCP.
I for one would love that since I have so many raw cards
Old 02-04-2012, 04:24 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Well color me wrong!