NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-19-2010, 08:07 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Default Mickeys first game ticket stub

From Opening Day 1951 his first game...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mick1st.jpg (27.3 KB, 532 views)
Old 05-20-2010, 04:31 AM

Default Killer ticket!

WOW! That's a pretty killer Mantle debut ticket there, Randall! Way to knock it out of the park on your very first post. Welcome to Net54!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 05-20-2010 at 04:40 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:25 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Default Thanks,

Figured I'd join after watching for so long! LOL
Old 05-23-2010, 12:32 AM

And the section, row, and seat numbers are palindromic!
Old 05-24-2010, 06:50 AM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
And the section, row, and seat numbers are palindromic!
Great ticket sir. But, D. its too early for big words like that.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Mickey Mantle Hartland Prototypes

Hi Guys: Not really a Mantle collector, but I do have a UNIQUE item. A Mantle Hartland statue prototype. This was never made as far as I know. It comes from the Louisiana incarnation of the Hartland Company. I have a solid resin painted as well as a wax version. See photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mantleproto2.jpg (76.3 KB, 434 views)
File Type: jpg Mantlewaxproto1.jpg (78.4 KB, 433 views)
File Type: jpg Mantlewaxproto2.jpg (66.3 KB, 433 views)
File Type: jpg Mantleproto1.jpg (77.7 KB, 434 views)
Old 05-24-2010, 08:49 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Awesome stuff... How on earth did you acquire this and the Clemente prototypes? Did you work (or know somebody) on the inside, or at the factory?
Old 05-26-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
WOW! That's a pretty killer Mantle debut ticket there, Randall! Way to knock it out of the park on your very first post. Welcome to Net54!
Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Awesome stuff... How on earth did you acquire this and the Clemente prototypes? Did you work (or know somebody) on the inside, or at the factory?
I completely agree with Scott & Mark. Tremendous stuff from Randall & Whitey, they may be new to the board but clearly they aren't new to collectiing memorabilia!

Glad to have you guys on board and am looking forward to seeing much more from your collections.

Sincerely, Jimmy
---------------------------------------------------------

Here is a terrific Mantle & Aaron TYPE I photo I picked last month in Henry Yee's auction...

mantleANDaaron.jpgmantleANDaaronSLUG.jpg
Old 10-23-2010, 07:56 PM

Default It's been several months since the last post on this thread...

so let's see the newest additions to your Mantle collection...

Mantle/Mays Pitch-Up Practice Batter 1967 NIB...

mantlemaystoy1.jpgmantlemaystoy4.jpg

mantlemaystoy-2.jpgmantlemaystoy3.jpg

mantlemaystoy-5.jpg
Old 10-23-2010, 10:54 PM
Bill H@e1ig

The very first autograph I ever paid for was for Mantle to sign this at a show in Valley Forge (PA) during the summer of '84...I believe the cost was $8 (I later added Brooks at a Car Dealership for free in '86)

Old 10-25-2010, 02:41 PM
Jonathan Scheier

Here's one you don't see every day--a 1949 Independence Yankees team signed ball with a 17 year old Mick. It's in the current Heritage auction closing 11/4 and 11/5:

http://sports.ha.com/common/view_ite...8&Lot_No=81029
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mantle.jpg (53.5 KB, 466 views)
Heritage Auctions (www.HA.com)
JonathanS@HA.com
1-800-872-6467 X1314

Consign to auction at http://sports.ha.com/consign

Connect with Heritage at http://sports.HA.com/Connect
Old 10-25-2010, 05:01 PM

Default Hard to find magazine

I had never seen this one before- it's from 1953.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MANTLEGUIDEPOST1.jpg (58.4 KB, 450 views)
Old 10-25-2010, 08:05 PM
Robert Williams

I got this from Mickey when I was a young teenager. I never want to submit it to PSA - I know it is real. Plus I would get ticked if they said it was fake, and I actually met a look-a-like!!!

Old 11-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Jonathan Scheier

Mantle was a drinker?

Kidding.

I wouldn't worry about getting shot down by PSA or JSA--that's as good as gold. I couldn't imagine either failing it.
Heritage Auctions (www.HA.com)
JonathanS@HA.com
1-800-872-6467 X1314

Consign to auction at http://sports.ha.com/consign

Connect with Heritage at http://sports.HA.com/Connect
Old 11-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Doug Goodman

Default Why...?

...would you even consider paying somebody money to get their OPINION of whether or not you met the Mick based on their OPINION of the autograph you got when you met him?

Just curious,
Doug

Last edited by doug.goodman; 11-02-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Robert Williams

I'm not.....whatsoever......I just felt it would be ironic if I sent it in and it got rejected....
Old 11-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Anthony

Shot of Mickey coming up empty in the 1960 World Series. 11 x 14 Arthur Rickerby Studio Art photograph.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9964.jpg (70.5 KB, 309 views)
Old 11-07-2010, 01:36 AM
Bilko Glasier

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
...would you even consider paying somebody money to get their OPINION of whether or not you met the Mick based on their OPINION of the autograph you got when you met him?

Just curious,
Doug

$$$$$ would be the only reason i could think of.

That Mantle debut ticket is breathtaking. Just amazing!!!
Old 11-08-2010, 05:34 PM
jerry

Old 11-08-2010, 09:54 PM

Default Quality of courage booklet

This is not the complete book- but the rare review copy. We have this and other Mantle items in our Fall 2010 auction. You can view all the items at our web site at: www.insidetheparkcollectibles.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MANTLECOURAGE1.jpg (39.3 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg autoprerez2.jpg (64.9 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg automantle1.jpg (40.0 KB, 253 views)
Old 11-08-2010, 11:32 PM

Here's a very tough c.1964 Mickey Mantle Linen Photo Emblem - A terrific piece still in it's original packaging. Now, if I could just find the original TYPE 1 photo that was used to make this patch...

1964MantlePatch.jpg

Last edited by thekingofclout; 11-09-2010 at 06:15 AM.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:07 PM

Default It's been almost a year since the last post was made in this thread...

and I'm pretty sure that some of you guys have picked up some Mantle pieces since then. As well as all the new members in the last year, there's got to be some Mantle fans amongst you. Let's see your stuff!

This was my last pick-up of the Mick from last December. The M & M Boys. 1961 Original TYPE 1 photograph...

1961M&Mphoto.jpg
Old 10-30-2011, 02:18 PM
Graig Kreindler

Wow, Jimmy, I can't believe that it's been that long since you picked up a Mantle piece! You HAVE been away for a long time. Either way, I'm hoping you'll remedy that soon. Or else.

I had been searching for these two photos for almost 8 years now.

I had seen them together on a plaque in an image search, but could never found out where the originals came from. Immediately, I fell in love with the poses, as they're pretty perfect for those panoramic paintings I love to do. It wasn't until earlier this year that I found out that they were from an issue of Sports Illustrated from '56, which was just blind luck for me to fall upon. And thank god I did.

It's amazing how powerful the man was.

Graig
Old 10-30-2011, 04:04 PM
Mikeknapp

I just finished reading Jane Leavy's The Last Boy. At the risk of sounding like a heretic, I have never understood collectors fascination with Mantle. Don't get me wrong I have a number of items related to Mantle myself to include cards, autographs, figurines, and magazines with him on the cover, etc. Although I realize his significance to the game I don't get why he is held in such high esteem. I don't think he can be considered in the same class as or Aaron as a player or Clemente as a man. I began collecting in 1970 at age 7 so I obviously missed seeing him play. My father is of the generation that enjoyed watching him play and although he is a die hard Yankee hater he professes a love for Mantle to this day. When I ask him about it he says, "You have to have been there to know what he meant to people that watched him." I often wonder what his significance would have been if he played in Milwaukee or Pittsburgh rather than New York. When I read the rehashed stories of his exploits off the field and his battles with injury and alcoholism I don't see nobility. Instead I see a player who never fully developed his God given talent. He appears to be a more of cautionary tale. I don't mean to sound derogatory or minimize his impact and the passion others feel about him. However, the fascination he evokes in fans and collectors has always been more interesting to me than the man himself. Perhaps a Mantle fan out there can help me understand what I am missing?
Old 10-30-2011, 05:41 PM
Doug Goodman

In honor of Albert in the WS, here is a scorecard from Mantle's only career 3 HR game :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1955-05-13-Yankees-Tigers-cover.jpg (78.0 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg 1955-05-13-Yankees-Tigers-scorecard-MANTLE 92-93-94.jpg (79.5 KB, 310 views)

Last edited by doug.goodman; 10-30-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:22 AM

game used bat 1955-1958

upper deck signed ball
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mantle LOA 3.jpg (71.1 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg Mantle33.jpg (68.7 KB, 286 views)
Old 10-31-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
game used bat 1955-1958

upper deck signed ball
WoW Mike That Mick Gamer is Awesome!
Old 10-31-2011, 11:36 AM

thanks, man! it's one of my best pieces now. i love swinging it!
Old 10-31-2011, 11:47 AM
Graig Kreindler

Mike,

Granted, I'm no mantle expert, so take this reply with a grain of salt.

I think one of the reasons he's as revered and noted with baseball fans (and to a big extent, collectors) has a lot to do with where he played. If he had been in Milwaukee or Pittsburgh, I think it's fair to say that he would have still been considered a great player, but not to the extent that any star player in New York would be. I think that no matter how you slice it, New York was really one of the main centers of media in that era. So, combining that with the fact that he was in the World Series with the Yankees almost every year, especially during a period in which so few regular season games were actually televised to national audiences, it's just a recipe for his super-stardom. And I know that so many people have written about this that it seems pretty cliche and trite by now, but the whole country bumpkin thing, as well as those boyish good-looks, really did a lot for him. Bob Costas (as well as many others) always said that central casting couldn't have come up with a better baseball player.

As the years went on, and his idolators grew up, I think that love-affair only grew with Mickey's post-baseball career mishaps. I guess there was something incredibly appealing to have a hero who was so faulted, someone with the same 'regular' problems that 'normal' people had. And of course, none of those faults were malicious by any means, but more of a sign of human weakness more than anything.

I think that as Americans, there is also just something very appealing to us regarding the 'what if?' question. The fact that this kid would have been one of the best ballplayers to have ever breathed is always the common thought surrounding the man. And when it's combined with the notion of where he came from, his family's history with Hodgkins, the death of his father, the knee injuries and how that all steamrolled into a life that was lived with that sense of an inherited death sentence, well, you just get something magical to a lot of people. Or at least, that's what I think.

It was actually through Leavy's book that made me like the man even more. And though he was my father's favorite player (he grew up watching him, too), his name just never had the same kind of sex appeal as someone like Gehrig's. But now, I feel like I can really see what the big deal is...

Just my two cents!

Graig
Old 10-31-2011, 12:56 PM

Hi Mike- i was born in 1974, so i definitely did not see Mantle play...but there is something very romantic & compelling about his character and exploits on the field (and some off). have you seen the HBO documentary "Mantle"? it is incredible and (i think) answers some of your questions, from the men & women who were there. they start to dissect & explain why he was looked at as a hero and/or even a God. also, on a similar note, have you ever read & listened to Bob Costas' eulogy for Mantle? it was written by Costas & Billy Crystal the night before the funeral in a hotel room in Dallas. it is simply moving, and helps people of my generation get a glimpse into why he was so worshipped.

Eulogy text:

http://theswearingens.com/mick/eulogy.htm

Last edited by MVSNYC; 10-31-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:38 PM
Rick P

Mike, Mickey was the only player who seemed to be enjoying the experience as much as I dreamed that I would.

I took this picture before a game in June 1967 at Kansas City (check out those world-class Municipal Stadium facilities).

Last edited by Oldtix; 10-31-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:38 PM
Mikeknapp

Graig great response and I love your artwork. Obviously no talent was squandered there. MVSNYC I have read that before and it is a great piece of writing. Oldtix, I live in the Northwest and used to have the same feelings about Griffey so that explanation I can definitely understand. I have seen the HBO documentary and enjoyed it. I actually own a copy.

In 1991 Mantle was signing at a show in Portland I went with a friend who was eleven years my senior. He and I played quite a bit of softball together. He absolutely crushed the ball and would trot around the bases like Mantle after hitting one out. I used to tease him about it. He swore he wasn’t doing it. He was 39 at the time and claimed he had always run like that. I had invited him to many other shows with signers and he always declined. When I told him about the Mantle show he immediately volunteered to drive. He was not a collector. He simply wanted see Mantle in person and perhaps shake his hand.

The Saturday show had a Yankee theme. I think Chambliss, Bauer, and Skowron were there as well. I was happy to get a couple of autographs and shake Mantle's hand. He was really quite gracious and every bit the gentleman. When my friend followed me in line I was shocked to see that as he extended his hand he was crying and unable to speak. I was stunned. Mantle shook his hand and asked my friend where he was from. As he listened to my friend’s virtually incoherent answer, Mantle ignored his display of emotion and thanked him for coming. I stayed for a while and watched the scene repeat itself numerous times with other middle aged men. This was not adulation it bordered on worship. I had not seen anything like it before, nor have I since. As we made the two hour drive home I asked my friend why so many were moved to tears by Mantle. He looked at me and said, “I’m glad I wasn’t one of them. I thought I was going to lose it for a moment.” He was totally unaware of his own display of emotion. Fearing that I would embarrass him I dropped the subject.

Since that day I have wondered what I am missing. I loved both Aaron and Clemente and am proud to have named my only son after both of them. In 1972 I wept as only a 9 year old can at the news of Clemente’s death. I met Hank Aaron in the mid 1990’s and was thrilled at the opportunity to speak with him and get an autograph as well. I thought that I would be as touched by the experience as my friend was by Mantle. I was not. Every time I see my own Mantle ball from that day I am reminded of the emotion I witnessed that day. I love the game. As an adult I have only been moved to tears by the Indians loss in the 1997 World Series. However, no individual player has ever evoked in me the emotion I witnessed that day in Portland. Thanks for the great responses. Perhaps I will never truly understand the Mantle phenomena but I remain fascinated by people’s reaction to the man.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mickey Mantle.jpg (68.4 KB, 338 views)
Old 11-01-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
thanks, man! it's one of my best pieces now. i love swinging it!
Geez Mike. I'm in love with the ball marks on the barrel. Just look how deep they are. You know the Mick was just crushing the ball in the mid fifties. Congrats Mike, that's a real keeper.

Last edited by thekingofclout; 11-01-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post
Wow, Jimmy, I can't believe that it's been that long since you picked up a Mantle piece!
Graig
Not by choice Brutha, not by choice.

I've been looking and looking and looking some more. So even though there's a whole lot of photos for sale out there, it's still slim pickens more times than not.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:24 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Graig,
I think you should paint them together like this!

They'll look great.

Jimmy,
I agree with your point above. There seems to be a bit of a lull in the picture market recently. Now that you got me hooked...Damn.

Best,
Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 11-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Mantle/Brooks Robinson wire photo from 1964

Old 11-02-2011, 11:24 AM
Craig

Since Mickey has been the primary focus of my collection, I am a little frustrated that I can not share more of it with you at the moment - hopefully that will change soon when the house remodeling is finished.

If I may add my 2 cents to the question of Mantle's enduring popularity (which has already been addressed beautifully by others on this forum and more extensively in a countless number of columns, documentaries and books).

Aside from his natural baseball abilities (explosive power from both sides of the plate -longest HR's ever recorded, world class sprinter speed - as a rookie 3.1 sec from home to first from the right-side of the plate and 2.9 sec from the left), if you saw him play in the '50's you just wanted to be him! Not only hit and run like him, but look like him, walk like him, talk like him. It remains a form of hero worship that is difficult to explain to those who as young boys did not experience it first hand and is still a mystery to those of us that did.

This is one of my favorite photos - a Type I taken on Sept.14, 1950 in his Joplin uniform and used by the press as he was about to start a 2 week travel run with the Yankees which began on Sept 20. On the back of the photo , in addition to the photographer's name, written in pencil "to the Yankees".

Another Type I from June of 1951, shortly before Mickey was sent down to the KC Blues which clearly shows the effect of the enormous pressure he was under during his first 3 months in the majors.

Last edited by Frozen in Time; 03-17-2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Graig Kreindler

Frozen, I PRAY that we get to see more of your stuff. That shot of him with Joplin is KILLER. I can't wait until the remodeling is done!!

Here are some paintings of the Mick I did, the first of which might seem familiar!

April 14, 1951, 9" x 12"

September 16, 1951, 30" x 70"

May 14, 1955, 9" x 12"

June, 1956, 26" x 40"

As well as a few in-progresses:

1951, 11" x 14"

May 14, 1955, 9" x 12"

August 9, 1955, 30" x 64"

Can't wait to see more from everybody!!

Graig
Old 11-02-2011, 02:55 PM
Craig

Just beautiful Graig - Mickey never looked better!!!! The easy scroll-down from my photo to your painting of the same 1951 image is pretty cool.

I am certain I have some images of Mickey that you may not have seen before (approximately 2,000 Type I's including over 200 that are from 1951 or earlier).

All I can do at the moment is post images that I saved from winning bids at a few auction sites. Once I get this work done on the house I can bring the collection home, get a scanner and learn how to digitize the photos myself. Most of the interesting ones are from private collections of sports photographers that I have obtained over the years as well as many from the Mantle estate. I just love early images of Mick, #6 batting and action images and that mile-long grin at the age of 18 and 19.

Again your paintings are absolutely super!!!!!

By the way, I like your first name - one letter removed from mine.

Cheers,

Craig
Old 11-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Graig Kreindler

Craig,

Well, my mouth is officially watering. I (as well as many, I'm sure) would love to see what you have in your collection, be it through scanning or those screen captures from auctions. Personally, I'm always on the lookout for shots of Mantle in action, and the younger the better.

Wow, that sounded a little weird.

But yeah, I'm doing my best to get as many shots of him from those early days as possible, as well as those from the behind-home-plate angel I showed in those two photos a few posts up.

Certainly, whenever you get everything together, post away!!

And thank you so much for the painting compliments. Mantle was always my father's favorite, and now, he seems to be moving up and up in my own ranks, so he definitely is holding a special place in my heart. A lot of my clients seem to feel the same way about the man.

Graig
Old 11-03-2011, 06:49 AM

A few items I haven't seen here yet.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:59 PM
Al

Default the mick

I didnt see this one but its very special to me as this was my ticket and program. My father took me and my brother! I was 11.

Last edited by batsballsbases; 09-11-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:29 PM
Mike Rothstein

Old 11-05-2011, 11:17 PM

Default Mantle Kodak Sign

Photobucket

About 30" x 18" framed

Got this in an antiques store many moons ago in...of all places the little town of Martinez Ca where DiMaggio was born....As I recall someone once told me the little kid in the snap shot is Mantle's son

Old 11-06-2011, 08:30 AM
pete ullman

Default Here's One

As a kid growing up in Northern NJ, my neighbor was Harold Rosenthal...a sportswriter for the herald tribune. The caption on top tells the story...Harold donated the original to the HOF...it's probably been hidden from view for decades!!!

This is my copy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mmletter.jpg (77.2 KB, 319 views)
Old 11-06-2011, 09:54 PM

Mickey Mantle 16x20 Inch Stretched Oil Painting:

Last edited by AbsolonMoreau; 11-06-2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Andrew

Default 1956 Press Photo

Something a little different, Ray Boone, Mickey Mantle,Virgil Trucks, Tommy Byrne golfing Feb 16th 1956 right before Mantles monster year
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mantlepic.1956 001.jpg (77.1 KB, 277 views)
Old 11-08-2011, 01:33 PM

I never left the room when Mick or Harmon Killebrew were at bat. These guys hit some long high bombs. Respect to Frank Howard, different style of long balls, he hit some of the lowest, quickest homers I ever saw.

Check not only the distance but the height of the barrier he had to clear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mantle HR 461 marker.jpg (40.8 KB, 249 views)
Old 11-12-2011, 06:44 AM
Craig

Type I - 6/9/1956, Associated Press "Riding the Crest". The perfect photo -content, clarity, contrast, composition and condition.

The upward angle at which the photo was taken perfectly frames Mickey's great smile and that pile of lumber against the backdrop of the famed YS facade all in the midst of his triple crown year.

Caption "-----he has a chance to become the first American Leaguer in nearly a decade to take crowns in batting, runs batted in, and homers." How True!

Last edited by Frozen in Time; 03-17-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:21 AM
Craig

Type I - 9/20/1951 - Word Wide Photos "Mantle goes up, but not enough". Spectacular rookie action image of Mickey in right field trying to rob Ed Robinson of the White Sox of a HR - unsuccessful. However, Yanks went on to win 5-1 and retain their American league lead.

What is interesting about this photo is that it was taken a few tenths of a second after a staff photographer for United Press took the same photo. The crowd in the stands from the UP photo formed the background of Mick's 1956 Topps card.

Note the guy in the white shirt with a black stripe at the lower left in the photo and reproduced in the same place on the '56 card. Topps must have liked this fellow a lot since they also stuck him a second time next to Mickey's right ear!

Last edited by Frozen in Time; 03-17-2014 at 03:19 PM.