NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-10-2018, 05:31 AM

Jack Morris, Harold Baines, Lee Smith, and Trevor Hoffman are in.

That means that Keith Hernandez, Curt Schilling, and Rusty Staub, three of my all-time favorites, need to be in.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchillo View Post
Lots of these guys (I’m sure Baines is one) politic to be hall of famers. I personally don’t think these two are hall worthy but I get your point on crapping all over them. You have to be good enough to be considered and they both were. But I think it gets dicey when your former manager is on the committee and I’m sure friends etc.

Didn’t Rick Ferrell get in because someone asked people to vote for him so he wouldn’t get shut out and be embarrassed by getting no votes? That’s not how the hall of fame should work.

I collect hof signed baseballs (I grabbed these two last night lol) and all of their Topps Base Cards. Looks like I have some searching todo for some 80’s-90’s Baines/Smith cards!

Reports are that Baines was "surprised" he got elected. I don't view him as a Hall of Famer but he didn't campaign (like Gossage and Santo) and certainly didn't want this negative attention. From all reports, Baines is a quiet and good man. I think he was an outstanding ballplayer, just not Hall of Fame worthy.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:34 AM
Seth

I'm surprised Jerry Reinsdorf didn't vote himself in.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:58 AM

I can't believe we live in a world where Harold Baines and Lee Smith can get into the HOF but Gil Hodges and Mike Mussina can't.

Last edited by packs; 12-10-2018 at 07:58 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:05 AM
J0hn Collin$

Default Lee Smith & Harold Baines??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailes2872 View Post
There was never a time when I thought, Harold Baines defined his generation.

I missed where the rules say you have to “define your generation” to be a Hall of Famer. It’s not just the Hall of Household Names.

You have the Ruths, Aarons, and Seavers in the HOF and then you also have the Pie Traynors, Rabbit Maranvilles, and Rube Marquards. It’s made up of all of them. It’s been this way almost literally since the beginning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by jchcollins; 12-10-2018 at 08:09 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:08 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
I hate the negativity toward these players I've been seeing. It's not like they asked to be elected. Now everyone is crapping on them...

Amen. Very good point.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:21 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Seems like everybody who really deserves it gets in eventually. (By my reckoning, the 7 best players not yet in the Hall of Fame have all played in the current century.) In order for that to be true the system has to be loose enough that some questionable choices slide in too. I wouldn't have voted for Baines or Smith, but I understand why the people who are allowed to vote don't include me.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:23 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

The following article helps put this into focus:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...ines-lee-smith

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 12-10-2018, 08:52 AM
M@++ Cyganik

While I definitely question Baines being in the HOF, there have been some good points to attempt to justify his inclusion including underrepresentation of his era and his longevity stats.

It is sad that some other great guys (Allen, Minoso, Hodges etc) are still shut out but I do enjoy the fringe guys getting in. It shows that the HOF is imperfect and human and always will be. Anyone who dumps on Baines right now and calls his selection the reason the HOF is "watered down" but goes out and spends $$$ on cards/autos of guys like Marquard, Bresnahan, Jennings, Maranville, Kelly, Traynor, Schalk, Ferrell, Hafey, Haines, Combs, Bottomley, Lindstrom, Travis Jackson et al because they are "vintage Hall Of Famers" needs a comparative history lesson of how the HOF isn't some sacred place reserved for the upper echelon of players.

Congrats to Harold and Lee!
Old 12-10-2018, 09:26 AM
Tim Newcomb

Default +1

Well said, Glynn. I’m happy for Harold, one of the nicest guys in baseball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
Sorry missed where it says great in the name. Honestly the place is a museum to tell the games history. I have no problem with a guy with 2866 career hits getting in or a player who was considered at one time to be the games best closer. But then again I believe in a large hall and have no problem with relief pitchers. Good for both gentlemen and I hope they can enjoy the honor with out receiving too much hate from the peanut gallery.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:28 AM
Pete Sycks

At least we don't have to question if Baines was a juicer. Similar to Lance Johnson the bat swung him.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 12-10-2018, 09:33 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

My 2 cents-- or perhaps it worth 1-1/2 cents-- is, yes, Baines is not deserving, but Smith is a fair choice. Smith was the all time saves leader at one point, and was acknowledged during his playing days as one of the best relievers. His election certainly doesn't offend my senses.

I agree the HOF should be more exclusive. Perhaps not as exclusive as some would want, but more exclusive than it is. Wouldn't offend me if they retroactively took the rake and removed some outliers-- though I assume that would never happen.

The funny thing is the Pro Football HOF is much more exclusive. There are regular complaints that deserving and candidates are shut out by the numbers game. The people who do get selected each year are almost the genuine cream of the crop.

Last edited by drcy; 12-10-2018 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:46 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclpads View Post
Cooperstown is replicating Canton. If a former FB player can tell the diff between a golf ball and a football, well, he's in at Canton! Case closed . . .
I played high school football and I can tell the difference between a golf ball and a football. My problem is that I can't always find my golf ball, but I have never lost a football.

CANTON here I come.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:56 AM
T0dd M@rcum

If relievers belong in the hall of fame, then I think Lee Smith is a fair choice. The irony is that the longevity for which we often (and perhaps fairly) leads to an indictment of the Baines/Sutton types as "compilers" is very elusive for closers. While you get an occassional Thigpen or Mark Davis, Smith had more than 30 saves eleven years in a row. You could argue the value of a save, but it's a fairly globally accepted measure of productivity.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:01 AM
Peter Spaeth

Metrics of course aren't everything, but sheesh Baines ranks as the 74th best right fielder of all time according to JAWS. He's so far down the list it isn't even funny. Exactly what did he do other than play a long time at a decent level that offsets the tale told by that metric?

I think guys like Allen, Belle, Oliva, Murphy, Garvey who were among the top few best players in the game for a stretch of 5-7 or so years are more worthy.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:13 AM

I don't think anyone would say Lee Smith was better than Rollie Fingers or Dennis Eckersly, both of whom overlapped with his career. He was left out for a reason. Nothing has changed in the time between.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:59 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Closers only pitch one inning..usually only in the game half an inning..or only 3 outs worth

At least Baines got 4-5 at bats in a game.

I always felt closers besides elite elite like M. Rivera are guys that are one or 2 bad seasons away from being the 25th guy like Axford and the list goes on..

Being a DH is fine to be in the HOF as long as they let closers in ....any number 2 starting pitcher could of been a decent closer i believe..
Old 12-10-2018, 11:06 AM

The simple fact is that the Hall of Fame voters, or at least enough of them, had signed Harold Baines rookie cards in their collections.

Rob M
Old 12-10-2018, 11:20 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I don't think anyone would say Lee Smith was better than Rollie Fingers or Dennis Eckersly, both of whom overlapped with his career. He was left out for a reason. Nothing has changed in the time between.
Part of that reason was that he was unpopular with the sportswriters and did not have a dandy memorable thing like a handlebar Finger's handlebar mustache or Gossage's mutton chops or Hoffman's Hell's Bells.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:39 AM
Peter Spaeth

I know W-L isn't that meaningful for a reliever, but Smith was 71-92, that has to be the worst percentage of any HOF pitcher, no?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:40 AM
Dave Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
[CENTER]I played high school football and I can tell the difference between a golf ball and a football. My problem is that I can't always find my golf ball, but I have never lost a football.

So, with that qualification, can we expect your imminent enshrinement next summer in Canton? How's the speech coming? And, can I get a reduction on your pre-HOF auto?
Old 12-10-2018, 11:50 AM
Peter Spaeth

Do not feed the troll!!

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-10-2018 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:20 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregr2 View Post
Gotta agree with the watering down comment. Doesn’t seem like either of these guys made that significant of a contribution and/or had a real HOF career. High level contributors but not HOF.

If they are in the HOF, Roger Maris should be in the HOF......just saying.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:39 PM
Tony Gordon

From the perspective of a White Sox fan in Chicago, I absolutely love the choice of Harold Baines for the Hall. For a team that has been around since 1901, the White Sox have had a long history of lousy outfielders. Baines is actually one of the best outfielders in the history of the team -- we're talking over 100 years! I've had to suffer through the likes of Wayne Nordhagen and Dan Pasqua. The Sox have nothing for 2019. Baines election to the Hall is all Sox fans have to look forward to in 2019. Stop hating on Harold. There are a lot of folks in these parts that love the man.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:49 PM
keith janosky

I just could never figure out the obsession with Mariano Rivera. The guys who's he's pitching to have played nine innings out in the 90 plus degree heat. He comes in for a half inning all refreshed from sitting around a whole game not in the heat pitching to guys who are tired playing a whole game and all of a sudden he's an elite pitcher. Give me a break.

Last edited by keithsky; 12-10-2018 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithsky View Post
I just could never figure out the obsession with Mariano Rivera. The guys who's he's pitching to have played nine innings out in the 90 plus degree heat. He comes in for a half inning all refreshed from sitting around a whole game not in the heat pitching to guys who are tired playing a whole game and all of a sudden he's an elite pitcher. Give me a break.
Maybe you should take a look at his numbers, pal. I watched him play every day. The game was essentially over as soon as he entered it. Even more so in the post season. Inning per inning he is probably the greatest pitcher of all time. I can not think of a single name I'd rather hear coming into any game in any era on any planet other than Mariano Rivera.

Last edited by packs; 12-10-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Maybe you should take a look at his numbers, pal. I watched him play every day. The game was essentially over as soon as he entered it. Even more so in the post season. Inning per inning he is probably the greatest pitcher of all time. I can not think of a single name I'd rather hear coming into any game in any era on any planet other than Mariano Rivera.
+1 from a Red Sox fan
Old 12-10-2018, 02:06 PM
�tis J�hns�n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Metrics of course aren't everything, but sheesh Baines ranks as the 74th best right fielder of all time according to JAWS. He's so far down the list it isn't even funny. Exactly what did he do other than play a long time at a decent level that offsets the tale told by that metric?

I think guys like Allen, Belle, Oliva, Murphy, Garvey who were among the top few best players in the game for a stretch of 5-7 or so years are more worthy.
Two names I haven't seen listed here really deserve consideration IMO:
Ken Boyer and Vada Pinson.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:09 PM
Bob Andrews

IMO Rivera is a no-brainer HoF inductee and this comes from a guy who is no fan of the Yankees. He was just ridiculously effective as a closer. When you are in the conversation re:the best ever at your position you have to be in the Hall.

I also this Lee Smith has a sold case. Baines, not so much. Not while Hodges, Allen, McGriff, & Mattingly are on the outside looking in.

Hall of Fame debates are always interesting to me. As long as they remain civil.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I am hoping this was tongue in cheek?

Old 12-10-2018, 02:40 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggs336 View Post
If Baines is in, the door is wide open IMO.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:48 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
I hate the Yankees, but really? Compare him to his contemporaries who were pitching in the same "easy" conditions you posit. Hoffman is the only one in his neighborhood, and he's on the outskirts.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 12-10-2018, 03:01 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggs336 View Post
Good names, the list of guys like this is almost endless. Reggie Smith and Willie Davis actually stack up well (far superior to Baines) even by modern metrics. So does Boyer. Pinson is pretty comparable to Baines, as is a wide selection of guys like Al Oliver, Tommy Davis, and Cesar Cedeno
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 12-10-2018, 03:03 PM
D@v!d R. Fuhrm@n

Location: Denmark (don't worry, I have a USA mailing address!)

Yes, these are two very unfortunate additions, in my humble opinion. Wow...

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
T206 back run: 21/38
Old 12-10-2018, 03:18 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Good names, the list of guys like this is almost endless. Reggie Smith and Willie Davis actually stack up well (far superior to Baines) even by modern metrics. So does Boyer. Pinson is pretty comparable to Baines, as is a wide selection of guys like Al Oliver, Tommy Davis, and Cesar Cedeno
Dave Parker. Much more feared hitter than Harold Baines IMO.

Old 12-10-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
Someone that averages .289, 22hr, 93 rbi's as a right fielder/dh and played in a single world series is not a hall of famer in my opinion.
+1 Tony
Old 12-10-2018, 03:31 PM
Peter Spaeth

Just to be perverse, Yaz was 22-90-.285

Old 12-10-2018, 04:01 PM

Compare that to Albert Belle:

40-130-295

Not a HOFer though, apparently.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:05 PM
Mike Kendall

If Baines is HOF material, then next year they need to add another 300 or so new members as the bar has been lowered substantially. In fact, why not just put everyone in who has played at least one year in the bigs. That way we don’t overlook anyone. It’s so watered down anyway it’s lost all of its prestige.
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 12-10-2018, 04:19 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387
Default Edger Martinez

I got this from SB Nation

Martinez won two batting titles, led the American League in on-base percentage thrice, doubles twice, and led once each in OPS, OPS+, runs scored and RBI. He was named a Silver Slugger as the best hitter at his position seven times.

Baines won a Silver Slugger once (1989), and led the AL in slugging percentage once (1984). That is the extent of the black ink on his Baseball-Reference page.

Baines was a compiler over a long period of time, which absolutely has value, to be productive over 22 years in the majors. His hit total is relatively high (2,866), good enough to rank 46th all-time. He has 619 more hits than Martinez, which is a lot.

But to put this in perspective, Baines reached base in his career by hit, walk, or hit by pitch 3,942 times, a big number. Martinez reached base 3,619 times, closing the hit gap quite a bit. While Baines did reach base 323 more times than Martinez, he did so in 2,418 more plate appearances. Martinez would have to go 1,513 plate appearances without reaching base to lower his OBP to Baines’ level; that’s nearly three full seasons’ worth.

For now at least, only one of those two is a Hall of Famer. Shocking, indeed.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:26 PM
Josh Adams

So proud of Harold. Richly deserved.

I do find it funny how some people are shocked/outraged that he made it.
More hits than Jeter, more RBI than Schmidt, Mantle, Speaker, Hornsby, Dimaggio, Matthews, Rice.

Consistent hitter, quiet, just did his job. The anti-White Sox bias is strong still in the national media.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:33 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagewhitesox View Post

More hits than Jeter, more RBI than Schmidt, Mantle, Speaker, Hornsby, Dimaggio, Matthews, Rice.

Consistent hitter, quiet, just did his job. The anti-White Sox bias is strong still in the national media.
more hits than jeter????? not quite!
Old 12-10-2018, 04:48 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

That really isn't a good argument. Omar Vizquel had more hits than Gehrig. So what?
Sad Sam Jones and Jerry Reuss had more wins than Pedro.
Could do that sort of comparison forever.

The JAWS metric tries to give equal weight to career stats and peak period, and again, Baines is the 74th best RFer by that metric.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-10-2018 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:54 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:

Cubs/Sox fan here, and never once did I think of him or Lee Smith as HOFers during their careers or when they ended. A HOFer is a no brainer, you don't need to think on it, they just are. Both were good players, but never great.

By your reasoning you'd have Frank Tanana and Jamie Moyer in over Sandy Koufax. Longevity doesn't mean you were great.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:01 PM
Josh Adams

Not OVER, but along with.
It's a museum, the more the merrier.

If RBI and HRs dont matter or are not good arguments, whats the point then?

Here's a video of Harold clinching the AL West in 1983. Winning Ugly indeed.

https://youtu.be/qp2XWfMOCLY

Last edited by vintagewhitesox; 12-10-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:06 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchillo View Post
Lots of these guys (I’m sure Baines is one) politic to be hall of famers. I personally don’t think these two are hall worthy but I get your point on crapping all over them. You have to be good enough to be considered and they both were. But I think it gets dicey when your former manager is on the committee and I’m sure friends etc.

Didn’t Rick Ferrell get in because someone asked people to vote for him so he wouldn’t get shut out and be embarrassed by getting no votes? That’s not how the hall of fame should work.

I collect hof signed baseballs (I grabbed these two last night lol) and all of their Topps Base Cards. Looks like I have some searching todo for some 80’s-90’s Baines/Smith cards!
I hope they have JSA certs with the signatures...
Old 12-10-2018, 06:05 PM

Default BHR Trio

In Harold Baines's case I believe the Hall of Fame was looking to concoct a rhyming trio of DH Harold Baines batting for pitcher Jesse Haines, with pinch runner Tim Raines ready on the bench.

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 12-10-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
In Harold Baines's case I believe the Hall of Fame was looking to concoct a rhyming trio of DH Harold Baines batting for pitcher Jesse Haines, with pinch runner Tim Raines ready on the bench.

Brian
Rex Harrison would like that.
Raines runs for Baines whenever we start Haines.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Rex Harrison would like that.
Raines runs for Baines whenever we start Haines.
Nice...that's music to the ears, my fair lady.

Brian (lady does not refer to Peter)

Last edited by brianp-beme; 12-10-2018 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Movie switcheroo
Old 12-10-2018, 06:32 PM
�tis J�hns�n

Quote:
That really isn't a good argument. Omar Vizquel had more hits than Gehrig. So what?
Sad Sam Jones and Jerry Reuss had more wins than Pedro.
Could do that sort of comparison forever.

The JAWS metric tries to give equal weight to career stats and peak period, and again, Baines is the 74th best RFer by that metric.
They can put his plaque next to Freddie Lindstrom whose JAWS rating
is 74th among third basemen.