NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-12-2011, 09:24 PM

Default O/T - All Star game

So whats up? Some knucklehead decision to keep last Sunday's pitchers out of the All Star game ?!?!

The American League gets the bum deal with both Verlander and Felix out because they pitched last Sunday.

Huge edge for the N.L.

And... the fans loose also. I didn't realize this hairbrained rule and was relishing watching last years Cy Young winner, and this dude who has now pitched 2 no-hitters.

Way big bummer. Not happy. At all !
Old 07-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Doug Goodman

Just another reason why an exhibition game shouldn't have an effect on the World Series.

And I'm an NL guy,
Doug
Old 07-13-2011, 07:19 AM
Brian Macdonald

The Onions view of the All Star game

http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/ar...between,20923/
Old 07-13-2011, 07:42 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Best, coolest sporting event I ever went to was an all star game (1989). I could care less about the world series thing one way or the other.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:13 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

First off, congrats to the NL. Now, here’s my rant. Douche bags like Brian Wilson and Prince Fielder are what’s wrong with baseball today. If Wilson wants to look like an Al Qaeda terrorist, he should be treated like one. If Fielder wants to cover his body in tattoos, put him in prison like the thug he is.

Please don’t give me this crap about them just expressing themselves or marching to the beat of their own drum. That’s BS! They have absolutely no respect for the game or the history of the game. You would have never seen Mantle, Mays, Aaron, Musial, etc with a mohawk and/or scraggly beard and tattoos all over their body.

And what’s up with Wilson flashing gang signs after his save? I’ve got a hand sign for Wilson and I only have to use one finger. If you’re a Giants of Brewers fan, you should be ashamed of these two idiots. They should be removed them from the gene pool.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 07-13-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:50 AM
Tony Quinn

Default Ummmmm......

WOW! (see previous post)
Old 07-13-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
Best, coolest sporting event I ever went to was an all star game (1989). I could care less about the world series thing one way or the other.
I was at the same game. When Bo hit the bomb off of Reuschel to lead off the game the place went crazy!
Old 07-13-2011, 09:59 AM

Default I too really liked the '89 All Star game

bbcard1 and dwr11, Yes, the 1989 All Star game was epic:

Bo Jackson, Bo Jackson, Bo Jackson. Lead off HR in first brought all fans off their seats.......then......."THE" throw - from the warning track all the way to the plate, on the fly, for a perfect strike to nab the runner at home, awesome, best throw I have ever seen!

Also, yes, the Brian Wilson thing is already old - get real dude, loose the idiot look.

The Angels young reliever did get clocked at 100 mph, gave up a hit though. And NL starter Halladay was quite impressive.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:18 AM

No way the NL steals 3 bases in one inning on Joe Mauer! The AL lost this game before it was even played. No Verlander, Sabbathia, King Felix, Beckett, Jeter, Rodriguez, Morneau, etc.
Congrats to the NL and enjoy the victory, things will be different next year
Old 07-13-2011, 10:26 AM
Barry Sloate

It used to be (I know, things aren't what they used to be) that a player took it as a responsibility to play in the All-Star Game. You might have a few aches and pains but if you were picked to play, you willed yourself to do it. Now the players concoct excuses why they won't be attending, and subs have to be found to take their place. And that player is typically a marginal AS at best. So maybe the game has lost much of its luster.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:40 AM
D.B. Cooper

Wilson isn't flashing a gang sign, he's making a cross with his arms and looking up toward heaven, ie at his dad, who died when Wilson was in high school. His dad was in the Air Force, which is why Wilson funded a couple of Air Force Academy scholarships starting this year. http://www.nbcbayarea.com/blogs/the-...122865134.html

For what it's worth, he also gave out a 1000 gloves this past weekend to needy kids (his idea) and conducted a Q and A period with the kids afterwards. Sorry you don't approve of his facial hair.

http://imageevent.com/boboinnes/obaks

Last edited by Anthony S.; 07-13-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony S. View Post
Wilson isn't flashing a gang sign, he's making a cross with his arms and looking up toward heaven, ie at his dad, who died when Wilson was in high school. His dad was in the Air Force, which is why Wilson funded a couple of Air Force Academy scholarships starting this year. http://www.nbcbayarea.com/blogs/the-...122865134.html

For what it's worth, he also gave out a 1000 gloves this past weekend to needy kids (his idea) and conducted a Q and A period with the kids afterwards. Sorry you don't approve of his facial hair.
+1

My thoughts exactly.

Last edited by asoriano; 07-13-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:11 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony S. View Post

I didn't know that about his dad, but another board member sent me a PM and told me it was also a tribute to his dad. It looked more like an "X" to me, but I suppose it could have been a cross. I'm sorry that he lost his dad so early in life. However, here is the bottom line. Closing games is Wilson’s JOB. That’s what he gets paid to do. Every time I do something good at my job, I don’t make hand signs and/or pay tribute to anybody. I may get a pat on the back, but I’m only doing my job. And another thing, if I showed up to my job looking like Brian Wilson, I really think I would be (and should be) fired. His appearance is not professional – not at most companies and certainly not for Major League Baseball.

As far as Fielder goes, do you really think he could get a decent job in the real world with all those tattoos? Not hardly.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:25 AM

I guess you wouldn't be too fond of Peter Moylan either:

Old 07-13-2011, 11:30 AM
Tony Quinn

David, I'm not a fan of tattoos either, but don't single out Fielder. Josh Hamilton, Yadier Molina, Jon Rauch (just off the top of my head) all have tattoos and many others (in all sports). I think it's just the times we live in. Tattoos are a part of mainstream society, like it or not. Weird beards and strange facial hair are part of it too. What about Rollie Fingers? That's about the strangest facial hair in the last hundred years and nobody says anything other than "cool". Steinbrenner wouldn't allow facial hair until Reggie came along, then Gossage, Martin, Munson etc. all had 'em. It's just sports, enjoy the game and enjoy the characters that go along with it (Bill "Spaceman" Lee, Al "The Mad Hungarian" Hrabosky, Steve "Psycho" Lyons, Mark "The Bird" Fidrych, Bill Veeck, Rick "Rain Delay" Dempsey et al). Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Rob Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
As far as Fielder goes, do you really think he could get a decent job in the real world with all those tattoos? Not hardly.
Why should Prince or Brian Wilson care about real world jobs? Both guys are great for the sport...both charismatic, friendly, and do a lot for their communities. Why does anyone care about facial hair and tats? Seems a bit ridiculous to me…
Old 07-13-2011, 12:00 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robextend View Post
Why should Prince or Brian Wilson care about real world jobs? Both guys are great for the sport...both charismatic, friendly, and do a lot for their communities. Why does anyone care about facial hair and tats? Seems a bit ridiculous to me…
I care because it is a disrespect to Major League Baseball. Most professional companies have guidelines regarding personal appearance. That's just a fact. Rob, here's a question. No matter how qualified, do you think these guys could get a job at your company looking they way they do? I'm guessing probably not. Why should MLB be any different?
Old 07-13-2011, 12:05 PM
Rob Miller

Quote:
I care because it is a disrespect to Major League Baseball. Most professional companies have guidelines regarding personal appearance. That's just a fact. Rob, here's a question. No matter how qualified, do you think these guys could get a job at your company looking they way they do? I'm guessing probably not. Why should MLB be any different?
Every profession is different, and every position within that profession is different as well. Where I work in my department you have to be clean cut, but the guys in my mailroom have earrings, and have tats exposed all over the place and it is accepted. They have been at the company a long time and make pretty good money.

If Brian Wilson or Prince Fielder were in construction, I doubt they would have to change anything.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:05 PM
ErikV

Default Re: O/T All Star game

I posted this in the watercooler section of the board
yesterday and got a couple of responses. I guess I'll
chime in here as well.

Every year around this time I get a bit conflicted about the
All-Star break. With a 4-day Fanfest and the Home Run Derby,
the All-Star Game itself is now just a backdrop to baseball
seasons' half-way point. The baseball establishment says the
game is an exhibition for the fans, but as a purist, I'm almost
sickened by the entire spectacle.

My 11 year old son is captivated by All-Star week and as a
way to bond with him, I watched the start of the Home Run
Derby yesterday. The ESPN pre-contest show focused on the
homerun in baseball. In interviewing former players like Johnny
Bench and Joe Torre these former stars commented how back in
their playing days one wouldn't dare admire watching a homerun
or strut around the bases after hitting a homerun. In essence,
former players would be showing up the pitcher by doing this.

All of this has changed. Now, with a sense of entitlement,
homeruns are hit and you have to watch players egos blow up
until they're done celebrating. I think that's why Barry Bonds
was so hated. Ozzie Guillen summed up today's view pretty
well during the pre-contest by saying each player who hits a
homerun should be able to watch "their" homerun without
consequence.

Long forgotten are the days when players would take great
pride playing in an All-Star Game. Now, players such as Derek
Jeter refused to play in the All-Star Game so he could give
himself extra time to recover from his recent stint in the disabled
list!

Due to the All-Star Game getting out of just being a just a big
game of graba$$, the Commissioner had to act a few years back
and put some incentive back into the game, so the All-Star Games
"really counts."

I don't really care anymore who wins the All-Star Game, nor who
plays in it. I think the whole thing is redicilious and the joke is
on the fans. Thanks for letting me vent.

ErikV
Old 07-13-2011, 12:20 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Every profession is different, and every position within that profession is different as well. Where I work in my department you have to be clean cut, but the guys in my mailroom have earrings, and have tats exposed all over the place and it is accepted. They have been at the company a long time and make pretty good money.

If Brian Wilson or Prince Fielder were in construction, I doubt they would have to change anything.
Rob, you proved my point though. I work for an offshore engineering company in Houston. I, too, am expected to project a professional appearance. However, the guys in the mailroom and office services have tats and earrings, but those aren't "professional" jobs. Construction is a profession, but is not a "professional" occupation. IMO, MLB is a professional company and their employees should maintain an appearance of any other professional company.

In other words, in the real world, Wilson and Fielder would have mailroom or construction type jobs - not that there is anything wrong with that. They wouldn't have professional jobs because of their appearance. Why should it be different with MLB - a professional company?
Old 07-13-2011, 12:36 PM
Brian Macdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikV View Post
I posted this in the watercooler section of the board
yesterday and got a couple of responses. I guess I'll
chime in here as well.

Every year around this time I get a bit conflicted about the
All-Star break. With a 4-day Fanfest and the Home Run Derby,
the All-Star Game itself is now just a backdrop to baseball
seasons' half-way point. The baseball establishment says the
game is an exhibition for the fans, but as a purist, I'm almost
sickened by the entire spectacle.

My 11 year old son is captivated by All-Star week and as a
way to bond with him, I watched the start of the Home Run
Derby yesterday. The ESPN pre-contest show focused on the
homerun in baseball. In interviewing former players like Johnny
Bench and Joe Torre these former stars commented how back in
their playing days one wouldn't dare admire watching a homerun
or strut around the bases after hitting a homerun. In essence,
former players would be showing up the pitcher by doing this.

All of this has changed. Now, with a sense of entitlement,
homeruns are hit and you have to watch players egos blow up
until they're done celebrating. I think that's why Barry Bonds
was so hated. Ozzie Guillen summed up today's view pretty
well during the pre-contest by saying each player who hits a
homerun should be able to watch "their" homerun without
consequence.

Long forgotten are the days when players would take great
pride playing in an All-Star Game. Now, players such as Derek
Jeter refused to play in the All-Star Game so he could give
himself extra time to recover from his recent stint in the disabled
list!

Due to the All-Star Game getting out of just being a just a big
game of graba$$, the Commissioner had to act a few years back
and put some incentive back into the game, so the All-Star Games
"really counts."

I don't really care anymore who wins the All-Star Game, nor who
plays in it. I think the whole thing is redicilious and the joke is
on the fans. Thanks for letting me vent.

ErikV
If I'm a pitcher and a guy admires a HR off me, he gets drilled next pitch.

Simple as that
Old 07-13-2011, 12:48 PM
Rob Miller

Quote:
Rob, you proved my point though. I work for an offshore engineering company in Houston. I, too, am expected to project a professional appearance. However, the guys in the mailroom and office services have tats and earrings, but those aren't "professional" jobs. Construction is a profession, but is not a "professional" occupation. IMO, MLB is a professional company and their employees should maintain an appearance of any other professional company.

In other words, in the real world, Wilson and Fielder would have mailroom or construction type jobs - not that there is anything wrong with that. They wouldn't have professional jobs because of their appearance. Why should it be different with MLB - a professional company?
The game and everything about it including the appearance of its players has changed from what the norm used to be. There has never been an MLB wide policy on tattoos or facial hair. If the players want to express themselves in such a way, and the ballclub has no set rules, it is well within their right to do so. If my company didn't have written policies on dress code, then I would be well within my right to dress the way I felt. Whether you agree or disagree with the way Brian Wilson, Prince Fielder, or anyone else looks like that is certainly understandable on a personal level. However, if I held your position I would be more inclined to blame MLB, or the particular team rather than the ballplayer. As I said, if my company allowed shorts, sandals and a Hawaiian shirt every day...I would be that person.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:17 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
The game and everything about it including the appearance of its players has changed from what the norm used to be. There has never been an MLB wide policy on tattoos or facial hair. If the players want to express themselves in such a way, and the ballclub has no set rules, it is well within their right to do so. If my company didn't have written policies on dress code, then I would be well within my right to dress the way I felt. Whether you agree or disagree with the way Brian Wilson, Prince Fielder, or anyone else looks like that is certainly understandable on a personal level. However, if I held your position I would be more inclined to blame MLB, or the particular team rather than the ballplayer. As I said, if my company allowed shorts, sandals and a Hawaiian shirt every day...I would be that person.
Well said!
Old 07-13-2011, 01:22 PM
Johnny S

Quote:
Many professional companies are prejiduce but many are not, if qualifed, yes they would be able to get a job at most Fortune 500 companies as the 1980's are long gone.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Jason Wells

Since i have very extensive tattooing i feel a bit put off by this whole talk about discriminating based on appearance.I also choose to have a beard.I consider myself a good person and i do hold a professional job.Just because people look different that doesnt mean they are less of a person,man,or human being than someone who looks "conservative".Scumbags come in all forms not just bearded and tattooed.Other than that the All Star Game has become a joke i agree.Jason Wells

Last edited by Jason; 07-13-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:33 PM
$teve O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheT206Fiend View Post
Since i have very extensive tattooing i feel a bit put off by this whole talk about discriminating based on appearance.I also choose to have a beard.I consider myself a good person and i do hold a professional job.Just because people look different that doesnt mean they are less of a person,man,or human being than someone who looks "conservative".Scumbags come in all forms not just bearded and tattooed.Other than that the All Star Game has become a joke i agree.Jason Wells
Well said!!
Old 07-13-2011, 02:47 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefBenderForever View Post
Many professional companies are prejiduce but many are not, if qualifed, yes they would be able to get a job at most Fortune 500 companies as the 1980's are long gone.
It's not a matter of being prejiduce or not. It's a matter of companies wanting to project a professional appearance to their clients. I disagree with your statement. I think most Fortune 500 companies would not hire someone covered in tattoos regardless of their qualifications (especially in this job market). Yes, the '80s are long gone, but presenting a professional appearance is still very much a part of business. And no, tattoos do not project a professional appearance.

For the record I have a scorpion tattoo on my upper right arm - something I did 15 years ago in my younger days. However, it can not be seen even with a short sleeve shirt. This is not just about tattoos, it is about projecting a professional appearance whether it's tattoos, a beard that looks like a bird's nest or a mohawk haircut.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:57 PM

You have to remember that the MLB is more entertainment industry than business or sports. The players today are more like Lady Gaga than Cary Grant because that is what sells. Even as a Giants fan, I'm getting tired of the Brian Wilson Show and Fear the Beard, but I understand that it's just his shtick and that's what sets him apart (from a branding point of view) from the other players.
I might wish that they were better role models for my kids, but I also wish all the rappers and other entertainers were better role models also.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:15 PM
Ke.n K0hen

I went to All Star games in 1962 and 1969. Great memories. As I'm long since unable to view the All Star game through the eyes of a child, I haven't watched one in over 30 years.

Inter-league play has made it even less unique and interesting, if that's possible. It was a thrill for a kid in an AL town to get to see Mays, Aaron, Clemente, Musial, et al. Now, who cares.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:44 PM
Johnny S

I agree tough to find good role models, thank God for politicians, big bankers,and wall street brokers.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefBenderForever View Post
I agree tough to find good role models, thank God for politicians, big bankers,and wall street brokers.
You can probably include corporate CEOs, priests, self help gurus, etc. It looks like we parents will have to be the good role models and hope our kids are smart enough to know the difference between right and wrong.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:48 PM

,------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by howard38; 09-10-2020 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:34 PM

Default Admiring your homeruns...

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrone View Post
If I'm a pitcher and a guy admires a HR off me, he gets drilled next pitch.

Simple as that
+1 The batter gets the 'ol bowtie the next time he comes up
Old 07-13-2011, 07:03 PM

Default OT- The 2011 All Star Game

I thought I would share some of the thoughts that I had about the 2011 All Star Game while watching it on Tuesday:

- As previously stated, the Sunday "no pitch rule" really handcuffed the AL in terms of not fielding our best starting pitching. I truly believe that the game was over before the 1st pitch was thrown. The NL was represented by nothing but A++ starters, the cream of the NL crop...

- When I was younger I genuinely looked forward to watching the All Star game. Getting to see the major leagues' best on one field was always amazing to me. I have personally attended 4 All Star games in person; 1989 at Anaheim (yes this game was awesome, but everybody failed to mention that Nolan Ryan also got the win in this game, which was extra special for a die hard Angels fan), 1992 at San Diego, 1997 at Cleveland and 2010 at Anaheim. I thoroughly enjoyed the first 3, but 2010 was somewhat of a snorefest...

- Having the actual All Star game start at 8:30 EST is rough for people that live in the eastern time zone and have to work the next day. It's not unusual for these games to end near midnight...

- Is it just me, or has interleague play completely eliminated the uniqueness of the All Star game?

I look forward to hearing from the rest of you have to say about some of my comments....
Old 07-13-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
- Having the actual All Star game start at 8:30 EST is rough for people that live in the eastern time zone and have to work the next day. It's not unusual for these games to end near midnight...
And what about the people in the Pacific time zone? A good percentage of people are not home from work before 5:30.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
And what about the people in the Pacific time zone? A good percentage of people are not home from work before 5:30.
Especially all those "non-professionals" with tatoos and body piercings.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
Brendan,
I hear you as I grew up in So Cal, but there has to be a happy medium.
Play the game on the weekend, flip-flop the viewing time so that the east and west are at an equal disadvantage as far as viewing times.

I do realize that this all boils down to advertising bucks and what works best for the people that pay for the ads as far as viewer participation....

Last edited by Scott Garner; 07-13-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:22 PM
Michael S

Quote:

- Is it just me, or has interleague play completely eliminated the uniqueness of the All Star game?
This sums it up. Don't think I have watched an All Star game since they went to interleague.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:48 PM
Geno W@gn&r

Default scholarship?

How does Wilson fund AF Academy scholarships? The Academy is free.

Cheers,
Geno
Old 07-13-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Brendan,
I hear you as I grew up in So Cal, but there has to be a happy medium.
Play the game on the weekend, flip-flop the viewing time so that the east and west are at an equal disadvantage as far as viewing times.

I do realize that this all boils down to advertising bucks and what works best for the people that pay for the ads as far as viewer participation....
And the happy medium is probably 8:30 Eastern. The greatest amount of people can watch it when it starts at that time. If not, I'm sure they would choose a different one. They could play it on the weekend and it would probably work out well. But hasn't the all star game always been during the week?
Old 07-14-2011, 08:40 PM
Geno W@gn&r

Default Not the Academy

I finally got a chance to read the link and saw that the scholarships are for ROTC students, not the Academy. That makes more sense, as ROTC sluggos like me needed all the help we could get! I did ROTC, then 20 yrs in the AF, so I suppose I have a new appreciation for that nasty beard. I'm also a Grateful Dead fan, and I'm pretty sure Jerry Garcia's beard could hide more than Wilson's...

Take Care,
Geno
Old 07-14-2011, 11:56 PM
Larry

Quote:
First off, congrats to the NL. Now, here’s my rant. Douche bags like Brian Wilson and Prince Fielder are what’s wrong with baseball today. If Wilson wants to look like an Al Qaeda terrorist, he should be treated like one. If Fielder wants to cover his body in tattoos, put him in prison like the thug he is.

Please don’t give me this crap about them just expressing themselves or marching to the beat of their own drum. That’s BS! They have absolutely no respect for the game or the history of the game. You would have never seen Mantle, Mays, Aaron, Musial, etc with a mohawk and/or scraggly beard and tattoos all over their body.

And what’s up with Wilson flashing gang signs after his save? I’ve got a hand sign for Wilson and I only have to use one finger. If you’re a Giants of Brewers fan, you should be ashamed of these two idiots. They should be removed them from the gene pool.
Loved your post, David--you sound like me when I'm at my most cantankerous best! Times have just changed quite a bit from when we grew up, I guess. The game started to become much more about "me, me, me" to the players with the advent of free agency, and the fans, without whom there is no commercial enterprise or professional sports at all, were in large part left behind, with little to nothing to say as to how players were to conduct themselves on the field. Personally I don't mind their demonstrations of individuality as much as I used to. I'd love to have Jose Reyes or Andrew McCutcheon for our Detroit Tigers, simply because these guys can really play. My wife almost fainted when I told her I really liked their dread locks!

I do agree with Brian that if I'm pitching and some hip, homerun hitting dude styled his way around the bases after hitting one off me, he'd better enjoy it just that one time, and be real loose the next time he came to bat. He'd also better expect to hit the dirt, because he would definitely be going down! The hitter has every right to conduct his own celebration, and the pitcher the right and means to insist on being treated in a respectful manner. Oftentimes who wins these confrontations comes down to matchups. I never saw Bob Gibson, tough as he was, throw at Willie Horton, though the latter would dig quite a foothold in the batters box during the '68 World Series. Horton had fought in the golden glooves when he was just 15, and earlier in his career Earl Wilson(all 6'3'' and 220+ lbs of him), then with the Red Sox threw at him in an attempt to move him off the plate. Horton walked halfway out to the mound and told Wilson, "Man, you can be moved just like a mountain," meaning broken up into little pieces and carried off. Horton had no further trouble with Wilson after that.

All the best,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 07-15-2011 at 01:15 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:56 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Default All about repsect for the game.

Thanks, Larry. I think you’re one of the few that actually understood my post. Some wanted to make it an issue about tattoos or something else. It wasn’t meant to be about tattoos or anything else - it was only meant to be about respect (or lack of) for the game. Tattoos have been around for centuries, yet you never saw Musial with them all over his arms and/or neck. Piercings have been around for centuries, yet you never saw Mays with a ring trough his nose, lip, eyebrow, etc. Mohawks have been around for centuries, yet Aaron never sported one. Scraggly beards have been around for centuries, yet Brooks Robinson never looked like ZZ Top. Why? Because they had too much respect for themselves and the game. There is very little respect for the game nowadays and it shows in the player’s appearances.

Another thing that bothers me is these players (like Jeter) that are selected, but choose not to play. I may be wrong, but I don’t think Mays ever refused to play in an All-Star game – nor Ted Williams, Musial, Spahn, etc. Then again, those guys new something about serving, because they had all served their country – not like the douche bags of today that have lost all respect for the game.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:57 PM
ErikV

Default Re: All about repsect for the game.

Larry,

While there may be some truth to free agency bringing about change
to baseball, I disagree that free agency was the evolution of the "me,
me, me" ballplayer.

I recently watched Ken Burns 10th Inning. In it, Burns brought up a
excellent point, one that I support. It was right after the 1994 strike
that Cal Ripken broke Lou Gehrig's consecutive games played streak.
The attention and praise Ripken got was unprescented. With the
creation of ESPN and the internet, Ripken's personal achievement
was the story. Fans embraced it. If you look back, that one event
was the turning point to baseball becoming what it is today. Look
at the way Mark McGwire, Barry Bonds and any pitcher who throws
a perfect game get glorified in the eyes of fans and the media. It's
a far cry from what Roger Maris got in 1961.

Today's players seem to thrive for the media attention and spotlight.
The more extravagent the look (tattoos, hairdo, beard, etc) it makes
them [B]stand out[B]. I don't like it. Not one bit. Someone mentioned
on an earlier post that baseball is no longer the great game it once
was, it's now liken to professional wrestling, just another form of
entertainment, using baseball as it's medium.

ErikV
Old 07-15-2011, 07:11 PM
ThreadKiller

...Fear the beard???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brian-Wilson-Main.jpg (49.4 KB, 35 views)