NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-14-2018, 08:35 PM

I know what your talking about Ed. I am a high grade raw set builder who is close to completing 1958, 1959, and 1960. I often buy graded cards that meet my specifications and crack them open. The raw cards that I find on ebay rarely make the grade. I am now focusing on SGC graded cards, due to members input.

Last edited by avalanche2006; 08-14-2018 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:56 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalanche2006 View Post
I know what your talking about Ed. I am a high grade raw set builder who is close to completing 1958, 1959, and 1960. I often buy graded cards that meet my specifications and crack them open. The raw cards that I find on ebay rarely make the grade. I am now focusing on SGC graded cards, due to members input.
With the huge amount of those cards floating around (50s-60s Topps), and more coming out by the thousands (or millions, see Leland's) I would think you could still find nice NRMT and better raw cards from those years. I am pretty darned sure they are out there. It's just a matter of finding them.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:40 PM
“the bambino”

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuinness View Post
Playing a bit of Devil's Advocate here, but one can't invest in last year's stock market today, right? So if somebody with an educated opinion prefers investing in cards over the market today, it's certainly possible that it's the better choice.
I’m not afraid to say that I am definitely one of those who prefers buying vintage sports memorabilia (particularly cards) over the stock market, especially after weeks like this where equities got absolutely slammed. Besides, owning Apple, Amazon, Exxon Mobil, nor Google could ever bring even a remote taste of the joy I get while holding my ‘33 Goudey Ruths, gazing at them in amazement, wondering about the provenance and how in the world they survived bicycle spokes, several wars, and an overzealous mom who threw away anything that wasn’t tied down or hidden between my mattresses (Playboys included!!). While I do believe diversification is key, baseball cards are by far my favorite “investment”.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:49 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

The market got killed this week. Diversification and long term are key points to take away. Personally, I just do what Buffet says (in the market) with quite a few less 0s at the end of my investments. We have Apple and Vanguard 500 Index, are long term and doing just fine. (knock on wood). And cards can absolutely be a part of anyone's investment and be ok. Cards are more fun than stocks that is for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth_rookie View Post
I’m not afraid to say that I am definitely one of those who prefers buying vintage sports memorabilia (particularly cards) over the stock market, especially after weeks like this where equities got absolutely slammed. Besides, owning Apple, Amazon, Exxon Mobil, nor Google could ever bring even a remote taste of the joy I get while holding my ‘33 Goudey Ruths, gazing at them in amazement, wondering about the provenance and how in the world they survived bicycle spokes, several wars, and an overzealous mom who threw away anything that wasn’t tied down or hidden between my mattresses (Playboys included!!). While I do believe diversification is key, baseball cards are by far my favorite “investment”.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r319rutha.jpg (77.6 KB, 120 views)