NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-19-2006, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Default E98 Background Colors

Posted By: FYS

Are any of the varying background colors more desirable than others in general or for specific players?

Old 03-19-2006, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

"Desirability" is in the eye of the beholder. Are you asking about relative scarcity of the backgrounds? This is from caramelcards.com:

E98 cards come in one of four different color backgrounds - Red, Blue, Green and Orange. It is assumed that all 30 players can be found with all four different background colors.

I have not noticed that one color background is particularly harder to find then
the others. Orange seems to be the most common, followed by Blue, the Green, then Red being found the least often.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 03-19-2006, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

I have found that there are surprisingly few e98 set collectors out there that I know of these days, but there are a few. Among these, some prefer to go after particular colors (ie, a complete blue set) to create more of an interesting challenge and a nice appealing, cohesive set. This might cause a collector to place a premium on a certain color. A master set collector might be on the hunt for a particular player/color combo as well. Among advanced e98 collectors, certain tougher and hof players will demand a premium no matter what color they are found with. All players exist with all color backgrounds.

Comparatively, I definitely don't think the e98 colors demand the kind of premium that certain colors from the e94 sister set do. In fact, after collecting the set for some time, I absolutely DON'T think any e98 colors are more uncommon than the next. They all pop up with about the same frequency. Collectors would not likely have this opinion with e94.

For me, I always look for the color backgrounds that have a darker, two-toned ink mix rather than the lighter cards which don't seem to frame the player quite as well.

One note: If you happen to find one with an Old Put Stamp on the back in a color that isn't red or blue, than you've really got something.

Robert

Old 03-19-2006, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

"One note: If you happen to find one with an Old Put Stamp on the back in a color that isn't red or blue, than you've really got something."

The vast majority of the Old Put stamped cards are red. In fact, until very recently, it was believed that the stamp was only found on the red background E98s. I believe the one and only Old Put that is not on a red background card is Leon's blue background Clarke card.

As for the original question, Robert is dead on. None of the four colors for E98 cards are any more difficult than the other and collectors generally do not pay premiums for backgound color variations for E98s.

Old 03-22-2006, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I agree with Robert and Wes on this subject. I have never seen another Old Put with anything but a red background. Most are HOF'ers too that's why there is actually a premium on Old Put commons. I have only seen a few commons with Old Put, myself, and they were of course red background ones. regards

Old 03-22-2006, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

My stamper was running out of ink on the bresnahan leon, so I apologize there.

robert

Old 03-22-2006, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

Speaking of E98s and Old Puts, here is one of my favorite cards of all time:

Robert's stamper had fresh purple ink for this one.

Old 03-22-2006, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lyle

why you didn't want my "common" Orange PSA 3 E98 Cobb .

Old 03-22-2006, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: t204leaf

very nice cobb wes. you don't have any more regrets on it but i sure do. i prefer blue backs on the e98s, wish robert woulda had more blues to stamp instead of the reds.

Old 03-22-2006, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

My guess is more blue background "Old Puts" will be found. The longer I am addicted to this hobby the more I see (that I thought I wouldn't see too)....I have not seen anymore as of yet....but time will tell...

Old 03-22-2006, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: FYS

Has a stamp itself ever surfaced for auction? Overstamps and the creation of new stamps have been talked about before. I am still really surprised that we have not seen someone make some replica stamps and combine them with authentic cards for some profit. Just a matter of time.