NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-06-2017, 03:05 PM
Emlily Ell.is

Default What is the best to move from modern into vintage?

This will probably be long, so please bare with me. Thanks.

I've been contemplating getting rid of the majority of my newer stuff and moving into vintage for some time as I really like the vintage and the fact it's less volatile than newer/modern stuff.

What I've done so far is to pull all of the inserts, base, RCs, refractors, etc. of Hall of Famers and guys I think will end up in the HOF. I've also pulled the same cards for a few stars (like Bryant/Trout/Posey/Miggy in baseball and AP/quarterbacks/Watt in football) to set aside.

I'm not going to stop opening wax. But I will only be opening about a blaster per month now instead of a hobby box or 2 every month. I just feel like it's a waste of money to open boxes, and there's more value in taking most of that money and picking up a few vintage singles.

As I continue to open wax here or there, I'll pull the players I mentioned above and put them in with their player lots and then work to get rid of the rest. My question is, what's the best way to get rid of the rest?

I've found a few people that will trade their vintage for my newer. But there hasn't been many. In fact, in the few months I've been here, I've only found a handful of people that are willing to trade with me at all. When I find someone, most want to trade vintage for vintage only, which is understandable. But that's left me with lots and lots of newer stuff to move in order to get vintage.

Is it best to sort everything into team lots and sell the team lots for a few bucks?
Or pull all the, say, 2017 Topps (base, parallels, inserts, SPs, RCs) and sell them by brand?
Or throw everything in the trash and start over?
Or just put all the new into the closet and start with vintage?
I'm hoping to either trade newer for vintage or to sell the newer and use the money to buy vintage.

I don't have much in the way of newer stuff. For example, I only have about 4-5 4-row boxes of baseball and about 2-1/2 of football. But the majority of it is from 2016-17 and all of it is from 2005 to now. So, it's not junk era commons.

As I said, I will still keep a few newer cards (HOFers, future HOFers, some stars), but I want to get rid of the rest. Just looking for some advice.

Thanks for reading this through, and any help is appreciated.

I have done deals with: snowman, exhibitman, roquan, vintagetoppscards, bobsbbcards, sayitaintso, tsp06, gorditadogg, 4reals, bnorth, clydepepper, jcfowler6, jimmer77, tsp06, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, swk473 plus others.

Last edited by wdwfan; 09-06-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:17 PM
J@$0n.Chri$$i$

I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago. I posted all my Autos and serial #'d stars in a for sale thread here on the BST. I stated would sell individually or in small or large lots. Once I added pictures, I immediately got PM's. I ended up negotiating a price with a member here for the entire lot (about 300 cards). He drove from VA to MD (where I used to live) and we met and did the deal when he was on his way to set up at the Philly show.

I was left with three 5,000 count boxes full of some inserts/#'d cards of minor stars and prospects who never "made it". But most were just the "regular" issues from Topps/Bowman Chrome, Platinum, Finest, Archives, Sterling, etc. I sold those 5,000 count boxes on Craigslist for about $200 a piece.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:22 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Ever heard of COMC? Great place to send your $2 and up cards and sell them, then use the money to buy vintage cards on their site. They have thousands of sellers who run various sales all throughout the year. Biggest sales are during Thankgiving Week and "Spring Cleaning". You can choose to just sell on COMC or add Amazon and eBay cross-posting.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited by swarmee; 09-06-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:12 PM
Emlily Ell.is

Yea I thought about Craigslist, but I hear too many stories of people being killed or hurt or robbed when they go to meet someone for a Craigslist deal. So that kind of turns me off of that idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooChild View Post
I was left with three 5,000 count boxes full of some inserts/#'d cards of minor stars and prospects who never "made it". But most were just the "regular" issues from Topps/Bowman Chrome, Platinum, Finest, Archives, Sterling, etc. I sold those 5,000 count boxes on Craigslist for about $200 a piece.

Hope that helps.
I've thought about just boxing up everything and sending it to COMC. But trying to sell dime box base doesn't like it would be worth it to me. That's why I may just throw everything into team sets and try to get like $5 for every team. That way I'm at least getting something for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Ever heard of COMC? Great place to send your $2 and up cards and sell them, then use the money to buy vintage cards on their site. They have thousands of sellers who run various sales all throughout the year. Biggest sales are during Thankgiving Week and "Spring Cleaning". You can choose to just sell on COMC or add Amazon and eBay cross-posting.

Last edited by wdwfan; 09-06-2017 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:21 PM

Default Welcome...

sell on b/s/t ebay ect ect...

then try on a T206
Old 09-06-2017, 07:42 PM
Emlily Ell.is

Yea, I think I've just decided to sell on BST. I'm going to break them down into team lots for like $5 or something. Surely someone would pay 10 cents apiece for cards of their favorite teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post
sell on b/s/t ebay ect ect...

then try on a T206
Old 09-06-2017, 09:46 PM
Patrick N.

Default Try

Try a good flea market in your town. You might get a dealer type offer you a couple hundred bucks for your stuff. I'm not sure team sets are a guarantee anymore just b/c sorted by team doesn't mean they will sell in $5 batches etc.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:29 PM
J@$0n.Chri$$i$

I just met the Craigslist person at a busy Wal-Mart parking lot during the day on my lunch break. No issues at all.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:58 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

Donate
Old 09-07-2017, 05:11 AM
Paul Herbener

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooChild View Post
I just met the Craigslist person at a busy Wal-Mart parking lot during the day on my lunch break. No issues at all.
Just meet in front of the police station. A lot of stations have designated zones for that stuff these days.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:48 AM
Brad

I have been doing the exact same thing for the past several yrs and have the same problem in trying to find traders.

The money I used to spend on blasters I now put into buying vintage lots.
Generally I can pick up VG+ lots or better for that 20 or 40 dollars a month I used to spend on blasters.

I have also found a few card/coin dealers in my area who have gently used, shelves full, of set fillers. They are always worried about what it might score and I could care less. I always get low BV prices and many times even lower if I am buying a large lot.

My site: http://www.freewebs.com/gnep31/

Successful trades/transactions: Mountaineer1999, BlueDevel89, ezez420, Shorttmail66, Northviewcats, Mintacular, Elberson, NATCARD, Oneofthree67, Leerob538, shammus, Hawkfan70, 39special, scmavl, jimtigers65, rocuan
Old 09-09-2017, 10:19 AM
Rob

Why would anyone waste money on blaster boxes. I'd rather pay more and be guaranteed hits on a hobby box.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:30 PM
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Why would anyone waste money on blaster boxes. I'd rather pay more and be guaranteed hits on a hobby box.
I used to buy Hobby boxes and grew tired of no name, no character jersey cards. Blasters are basically 'spare change' type purchases. My wife gets them for me when she picks up groceries

I've pulled auto's of Luis Aparicio and Yogi Berra from Heritage blasters which is much better than I ever pulled from a Hobby box.

Successful trades/transactions: Mountaineer1999, BlueDevel89, ezez420, Shorttmail66, Northviewcats, Mintacular, Elberson, NATCARD, Oneofthree67, Leerob538, shammus, Hawkfan70, 39special, scmavl, jimtigers65, rocuan
Old 09-09-2017, 02:55 PM
Sean Costello

Am I still reading a thread on the page for vintage cards?
Old 09-09-2017, 03:30 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Vintage board??? Where???
Old 09-09-2017, 03:46 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Here's something that hasn't been mentioned yet; if you want to get into vintage, you might consider applying to OBC and "trading" by sending your dupes to members as gifts and then getting back cards from your want lists. Normally these are low to mid grade cards, but great for new collectors who want to collect vintage sets without breaking the bank.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:14 PM
Rob

Quote:
No...We're on the home page.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:17 PM
Emlily Ell.is

I really wasn't sure where to put it. So, I just put it in here. Sorry if it's in the wrong spot.

Swarmee, so I'd just send cards and hope to get them back? Or do you have to send first to earn your stripes per say and then eventually someone will send to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
No...We're on the home page.

Last edited by wdwfan; 09-09-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:25 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfan View Post
Swarmee, so I'd just send cards and hope to get them back? Or do you have to send first to earn your stripes per say and then eventually someone will send to you?
It basically a trading community. Read up on it here:
http://www.oldbaseball.com/
Old 09-09-2017, 10:00 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfan View Post
I really wasn't sure where to put it. So, I just put it in here. Sorry if it's in the wrong spot.

No it's okay here. I just started reading about hobby boxes and blaster boxes, stuff that I have no clue about.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:40 AM
Bob Donaldson

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
It basically a trading community. Read up on it here:
http://www.oldbaseball.com/
Generally, you might start by contacting some folks on OBC and setting up some trades. Once you've done a couple of trades, you can apply to OBC. Once a member you list your wantlist on the server.

Yes, you will get cards in the mail unsolicited. And I will expect you will send cards out unsolicited. We call this RAOK or random acts of kindness. The idea is it works out in the end "what goes around comes around". Obviously, for bigger cards and most (not all) pre wars trades are set up. But for 50-60s commons we just send them out to each other. Its a small (~150) group, everyone has been vetted (I think you need two sponsors). and we are a very close knit. Meetups at the National and local shows.

Check it out and LMK if you have any questions

thanks

Bob
Old 09-10-2017, 08:01 AM
Brad

Quote:
No it's okay here. I just started reading about hobby boxes and blaster boxes, stuff that I have no clue about.
The title of the thread is about moving from modern collecting into vintage.

If you don't know anything about modern collecting then why post on the thread?

Old 09-10-2017, 08:51 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnep31 View Post
The title of the thread is about moving from modern collecting into vintage.

If you don't know anything about modern collecting then why post on the thread?
Because it's a chat board and that is what we do. I know little about the new stuff too. It doesn't interest me but I can still comment on it. Why? Because that is what we do and it's on the front page . We get down to business around here, like these guys!! I never noticed it but the guy sitting in front looks kind of bummed out.

As for the question in the first post, it will come down to how much time you want to put into getting rid of your newer stuff. A lot of people send a lot of newer stuff to COMC and let them deal with it. Others do ebay and still others do BST areas and a combination of other things. It all comes down to how much time you want to put into it. It seems you know how to group the cards if you want to sell them yourself too. Good luck and hope you can pick up some good vintage (pre-war!!) with the proceeds.....

ps...trying to trade the new cards for good vintage might be futile and frustrating.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg phunc1895businessmancabinet2.jpg (74.8 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by Leon; 09-10-2017 at 09:47 AM.