NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-21-2017, 11:48 AM
K3v1n Stru55

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
This one of Cy is type 2
That is a Type 1.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:45 PM
Craig

As usual, thanks to Kevin and Scott for sharing their knowledge
Old 07-21-2017, 07:17 PM
Je.rry Spillm@n

I wrote to Joe Orlando yesterday to inquire about the new way PSA has listed W600s on their pop chart. As follows:

Jerry Spillman 10:48 PM (21 hours ago)
to Joe

Hi Joe,

Just observed your latest graded W600 cabinets. Noticed the design type has been added to all these newly graded cabinets - after all these years. All the previously graded cabinets are now disregarded even though many are exactly the same design type. Why must rare cabinets deceptively made to appear unique on the PSA pop chart when they are not. Why be dishonest with the collector who depends on an unbiased pop list. SHAME.

In browsing the first few new W600s on the pop chart I find:

Frank Chance - Uniform-Type 1* - scan shows Chance in Street Clothes - not in uniform.
John Chesbro - NY AL Type 2 below John Chesbro NY AL - they could be the same type - making 1 of 1 false.
Ty Cobb - Type 4* ALL Cobb W600s are type 4. How can this new cabinet be different than the Cobb listed above this new 1 of 1?
Should I go on?

Jerry

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Joe Orlando 12:11 PM (8 hours ago)

to me

We can handle this over the phone.
You have my number.
Joe

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I know the Chance picture is incorrect but that has nothing to do with PSA.

I called earlier today - no response.

Apparently he is not able to defend the change.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:44 PM
Scott Russell

Call me a Pollyanna, but somehow I don't think coming in with both guns blazing is necessarily the best approach...
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-21-2017, 08:48 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
It's Harry Wolverton.

Little did anyone know after his playing days he retired to build treehouses...

Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 07-21-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:08 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrys View Post
I wrote to Joe Orlando yesterday to inquire about the new way PSA has listed W600s on their pop chart. As follows:

to Joe

Hi Joe,

Just observed your latest graded W600 cabinets. Noticed the design type has been added to all these newly graded cabinets - after all these years. All the previously graded cabinets are now disregarded even though many are exactly the same design type. Why must rare cabinets deceptively made to appear unique on the PSA pop chart when they are not. Why be dishonest with the collector who depends on an unbiased pop list. SHAME.

Frank Chance - Uniform-Type 1* - scan shows Chance in Street Clothes - not in uniform.
John Chesbro - NY AL Type 2 below John Chesbro NY AL - they could be the same type - making 1 of 1 false.
Ty Cobb - Type 4* ALL Cobb W600s are type 4. How can this new cabinet be different than the Cobb listed above this new 1 of 1?
Should I go on?

Jerry

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

to me

You have my number.
Joe

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Exactly... That's what I was saying. What's going to happen to everyone who has paid for their service? Are they going to have two different pop charts on literally the same card and mount.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:12 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Call me a Pollyanna, but somehow I don't think coming in with both guns blazing is necessarily the best approach...
Quote:

to Joe

Hi Joe,

Should I go on?

Jerry

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

to me

You have my number.
Joe

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My gut tells me, Jerry, knows Joe, or has had similar interactions with him before?
Imo, being as they are PSA, I think the questions and the forwardness of them are not out of line at all as PSA should clearly be wise/knowledgeable and aware of what they have in front of them and what they have seen and have graded in the past. (JMO)

Last edited by irv; 07-21-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:18 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Exactly... That's what I was saying. What's going to happen to everyone who has paid for their service? Are they going to have two different pop charts on literally the same card and mount.
They are listed separately. All Cobb's are type 4, but now that they are caraloging by types, they appear separately.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C9654DD1-18B8-4211-9304-1AAB1553B054.jpg (70.2 KB, 372 views)
Old 07-21-2017, 09:53 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Isn't this always what happens when a grading company adds precision to the identification of a card? T206s have backs in the reports now. Previously they didn't. Never mind factory numbers. Would it be better for them not to refine their identification of the cards to reflect greater collector interest in cartophilic minutiae? They can't go back and make up the missing data now from variables previously ignored.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:54 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
Isn't this always what happens when a grading company adds precision to the identification of a card? T206s have backs in the reports now. Previously they didn't. Never mind factory numbers. Would it be better for them not to refine their identification of the cards to reflect greater collector interest in cartophilic minutiae? They can't go back and make up the missing data now from variables previously ignored.
I agree 100%. But I think they should offer reslabbing for free or at a large discount to those who own the previously graded cards. This way they can meet their altruistic goal of having them properly catalogued.

Last edited by orly57; 07-21-2017 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:00 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
I agree 100%. But I think they should offer reslabbing for free or at a large discount to those who own the previously graded cards. This way they can have them properly catalogued.
I'm sure it's done on a case by case basis. Maybe they should do what auto manufactors do when they determine a flaw in their finished product which they sold. They offer a RECALL to get the problem corrected.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:12 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
I'm sure it's done on a case by case basis. Maybe they should do what auto manufactors do when they determine a flaw in their finished product which they sold. They offer a RECALL to get the problem corrected.
Good idea
Old 07-21-2017, 10:30 PM

So, are they just floating in the slabs, or held in secure? I don't see any plastic internal corners , or baggys.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 07-21-2017 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:43 PM
Je.rry Spillm@n

You are probable right Scott. Just could not believe such a thoughtless policy was implemented. Having two identical cards and list them separately on a professional population chart is - . What about subsequent additions. It seems that a little extra might have been promised the submitter of 24 cabinets.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:55 AM
Jay Cee

The submitter could have just the opposite happen on them as they could become the red headed step child of the series. The 24 Cabinets are not being compared to other "like" cards, as they have their own subset. Maybe now is a good time for PSA to start listing the Springfield Rose postcards in a subset ��

Last edited by BeanTown; 07-22-2017 at 12:56 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:04 AM
Hank Thomas

Default No WaJo

Odd that he's not in the set, one of the few HOFers--maybe the only one--from that era not included.

Last edited by Hankphenom; 07-22-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:32 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
someone will most surely "have to have that!"
A very BIG +1!

Larry
Old 07-22-2017, 06:49 PM
K3v1n Stru55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Odd that he's not in the set, one of the few HOFers--maybe the only one--from that era not included.
I have never understood why WaJo was never offered by The Sporting Life. The only other missing HOFer that I can think of is Speaker. He did not have his breakout season until 1909, the same as Baker, who is included in the set, but that may have something to do with The Sporting Life being a Philadelphia based company.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:34 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
I wrote to Joe Orlando yesterday to inquire about the new way PSA has listed W600s on their pop chart.

to me

You have my number.
Joe

Curious, Jerry, if you ever received a return phone call or if you called again?

Last edited by irv; 07-22-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:59 PM
Je.rry Spillm@n

Hi irv,

No further calls. I am sure when he answered me he was unaware of what I was complaining about. After learning what it was he could not do or admit anything.

I am a customer and expect an answer - I will persist.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:47 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Hi irv,

No further calls. I am sure when he answered me he was unaware of what I was complaining about. After learning what it was he could not do or admit anything.

I am a customer and expect an answer - I will persist.
Good for you! I know the odds are likely against you but I hope you receive a reasonable and acceptable response.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:34 PM
Mark Medlin

I am a little disappointed. I had 5 powerball tickets Saturday night. After I won I was going to find out who owned these and get them bought. But alas, there is no joy in Mudville...

P.S. maybe Wednesday. Fingers crossed

Mark
Old 07-25-2017, 09:58 AM
Jonathan Sterling

Getting back to cards. At a Philly show when it was still held by hotel. Pat Quinn had a couple large boxes of W600's. I asked to buy a couple he quoted a price. One for Hall of farmers and one for commons and told me I could buy one HOF and one common. I pulled the Delahanty and an obscure highlander Laroy. All of the cards were in there original transparent holders and in unbelievable condition. Pat then told me that the Hof pile I looked through were all doubles. My understanding was the group was purchased by Rob Lifson and was a prized in his collection and then went to Copeland. And shortly after the auction the group sold for about 100k give or take 20 grand. I sold the Highlander to a board member and the Delahany REA/ Mastro sold around 2000. Nice to see most of the group still together.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:23 AM
K3v1n Stru55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
I sold the Highlander to a board member and the Delahany REA/ Mastro sold around 2000.
I remember that card. It was absolutely beautiful. That is the same example that recently sold in a Heritage Auction.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:02 PM

Terry Knouse told me the story years ago of a box of W600's from 1980's or so.

Also J. Rumeriz told me of a group of 600 that he and Pat Quinn and one other collector divided up, 200 each. Again many, many years ago. I bet that is the group Pat had at the show.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:35 PM
T0m P00n

Is this that Delahanty? Recently sold at Heritage in Feb for $38,400.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg delahanty.jpg (79.4 KB, 282 views)
Old 07-25-2017, 02:08 PM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
So, are they just floating in the slabs, or held in secure? I don't see any plastic internal corners , or baggys.
I think they are in baggies but the scanner is set not show the baggie.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:56 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2000 View Post
I didn't realize that PSA had a vintage grading department. How in the World is that Cabinet an 8?? Is that staining I see on it which looks very uniform. It's a great card, but not an 8.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:02 PM
K3v1n Stru55

Quote:
I didn't realize that PSA had a vintage grading department. How in the World is that Cabinet an 8?? Is that staining I see on it which looks very uniform. It's a great card, but not an 8.
That scan looks a bit funny to me. Here is an image of the the card when REA originally sold it in 2001. That is what I remember the card looking like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-07-25 (1)_552x600.jpg (68.9 KB, 219 views)

Last edited by Baseball Rarities; 07-25-2017 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:47 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2000 View Post
Technical grade aside, the price is a fraction of what it would be if common sense were taken into account in our valuations. (note sarcasm). A Koufax rookie in a 9 has sold for more not long ago.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:30 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Technical grade aside, the price is a fraction of what it would be if common sense were taken into account in our valuations. (note sarcasm). A Koufax rookie in a 9 has sold for more not long ago.
Surely it's the Koufax that's priced incorrectly if we want to pretend that card prices are semi-rational. If the prices were just determined by people like me, and this seems to hold fairly well in other collectibles (antique furniture, teddy bears, etc.) a "mint" example would go for maybe twice as much as a "very good" example of the same item.