NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-05-2017, 10:27 PM
Kyle May

Default Just Wanted To Share This

Last October, my fiancee made a Facebook post about looking for cards for me (I do not have a Facebook; shocking for a 22 year old, I know). A guy's wife messaged her, and put her in contact with her husband, who I have conversed with off and on for a few months. He was pulling his cards from binders, and wanted me to come over to check out his collection and see what I wanted to buy. Wednesday night (1/4/17), my fiancee and I stopped over and he showed us his collection. He had two binders on the table in his basement. In one of them were a bunch of Indians autos on photos - Feller, Wynn, '95 Indians, etc. The other binder was full of Mickey Mantle, Hank Aaron, Ted Williams, Joe DiMaggio, and many many more HoFers' autos on photos. I attached a few of the photos. It was incredible. He also had a vintage baseball chess set, with the pieces being star players from throughout the years (Ruth, Musial, DiMaggio, Gehrig, Robinson, etc.). He showed me a display case for baseballs, 3/4 full of baseballs with autos like Mantle, Spahn, etc.

His card collection was incredible as well. Not much that would interest many on this board - tons of '70s, '80s, '90s, '00s RCs from all sports. Tons of value, but not a whole lot that interests me or many other vintage collectors. I ended up buying some Jim Thome's I didn't have, a Thome auto, some vintage Indians, and a Mike "Human Rain Delay" Hargrove bobblehead.

To top it off, he sold me 28 sports card binders (the padded ones), each binder full of Ultra Pro Platinum pages in VERY good condition. The pages area also pictured. I have no idea how many pages there are exactly, but I'm estimating around 4000. I got the binders and pages for $20 total. Unbelievable deal.

I wanted to share this because I don't get to see too many collections like this outside of National. The other reason being he is looking to sell most of his collection. He's looking to get those autos authenticated, and is seeking advice on the best, most economical way to do so. He also has tons of more-modern sets and star player cards. I know he'd like to keep his RCs, but I'm pretty sure everything else is up for grabs. What would be the best way for him to sell everything? Looking for some input.

Thanks y'all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170104_182856.jpg (69.7 KB, 880 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170104_182911.jpg (68.6 KB, 872 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170104_182947.jpg (66.2 KB, 864 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170104_182915.jpg (69.0 KB, 870 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170105_233309.jpg (63.2 KB, 867 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170105_233337.jpg (35.4 KB, 867 views)

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 01-06-2017, 05:52 AM
Bruce Fairchild

Awesome, I can imagine your excitement!
Old 01-06-2017, 06:11 AM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

I love the picture of the mick with the ladies lol. Really nice deal on the supplies! I don't really collect autos anymore but I'd say his best bet would be to sell on eBay/here to maximize value over time or going the AH route if he wants to unload quicker.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:38 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceinGa View Post
Awesome, I can imagine your excitement!
To be able to go through these was truly an honor. I find great pleasure in little, simple things like this. To me, I was turning pages of history that not too many other people will ever get the chance to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniehatesjazz View Post
I love the picture of the mick with the ladies lol. Really nice deal on the supplies! I don't really collect autos anymore but I'd say his best bet would be to sell on eBay/here to maximize value over time or going the AH route if he wants to unload quicker.
Mick with the ladies gave me a good laugh.

The deal on the supplies is truly incredible when you break it down. Approximately 4000 pages (give or take) at $.20 a page (a box of 100 Ultra Pro Platinum pages is just under $20; about $.19 a page) is $800 of value. Granted they are used, but still in phenomenal condition. Even at $.10 a page, that's still $400 in pages that I got with 28 padded binders for $20. I hit the supplies lottery!

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

Old 01-06-2017, 06:59 AM
Brendan Mullen

I don't know Mantle at all (just Ruth actually haha). But I've seen enough of them on here. Those Mantle's are not good, correct? At least the first one is not good, correct?
Old 01-06-2017, 11:23 AM
David L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
I don't know Mantle at all (just Ruth actually haha). But I've seen enough of them on here. Those Mantle's are not good, correct? At least the first one is not good, correct?
They look good to me but I'm far from an expert as well. I've had a few of his autos back in the day though. There's a bunch of Mantle collectors here that would provide insight.

Great story. I've had some great experiences with collectors in Ohio. There's certainly some die-hardship packed into the corners of the state.

Thanks for sharing!

David Luft
Old 01-06-2017, 12:06 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
I'm not an expert, but I have seen a lot of Mantle autos and such. These look legit, plus his story was believable. His dad was a sports car salesman, and bought some of these off of a card/memorabilia shop owner that was shutting down; others in his collection he got in person. Back when he bought these, authenticating items wasn't as accessible as it is today, hence why they are not authentic. Looking at the rest of his collection, I fully believe everything in his collection to be real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_l View Post
They look good to me but I'm far from an expert as well. I've had a few of his autos back in the day though. There's a bunch of Mantle collectors here that would provide insight.

Great story. I've had some great experiences with collectors in Ohio. There's certainly some die-hardship packed into the corners of the state.

Thanks for sharing!

David Luft
Ohio's weather sucks. But that's about it. Love this state. The corners, as you said, pack some collector's punch. Still trying to build my Ohio collector's network.

Maybe someday I'll get lucky enough to search someone's attic and find these...

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...er-bag-n530726

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/07/11/...in-ohio-attic/

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 01-06-2017 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:04 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Original collections are super fun to go through. If you have a quantity of autos to get LOA'd I would imagine one of the ABC authenticators would give a discount. Their space is heating up with competition. Ebay, or an auction house, is the likely venue to sell if they have no access to our BST .

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
Last October, my fiancee made a Facebook post about looking for cards for me (I do not have a Facebook; shocking for a 22 year old, I know). A guy's wife messaged her, and put her in contact with her husband, who I have conversed with off and on for a few months. He was pulling his cards from binders, and wanted me to come over to check out his collection and see what I wanted to buy. Wednesday night (1/4/17), my fiancee and I stopped over and he showed us his collection. He had two binders on the table in his basement. In one of them were a bunch of Indians autos on photos - Feller, Wynn, '95 Indians, etc. The other binder was full of Mickey Mantle, Hank Aaron, Ted Williams, Joe DiMaggio, and many many more HoFers' autos on photos. I attached a few of the photos. It was incredible. He also had a vintage baseball chess set, with the pieces being star players from throughout the years (Ruth, Musial, DiMaggio, Gehrig, Robinson, etc.). He showed me a display case for baseballs, 3/4 full of baseballs with autos like Mantle, Spahn, etc.

His card collection was incredible as well. Not much that would interest many on this board - tons of '70s, '80s, '90s, '00s RCs from all sports. Tons of value, but not a whole lot that interests me or many other vintage collectors. I ended up buying some Jim Thome's I didn't have, a Thome auto, some vintage Indians, and a Mike "Human Rain Delay" Hargrove bobblehead.

To top it off, he sold me 28 sports card binders (the padded ones), each binder full of Ultra Pro Platinum pages in VERY good condition. The pages area also pictured. I have no idea how many pages there are exactly, but I'm estimating around 4000. I got the binders and pages for $20 total. Unbelievable deal.

I wanted to share this because I don't get to see too many collections like this outside of National. The other reason being he is looking to sell most of his collection. He's looking to get those autos authenticated, and is seeking advice on the best, most economical way to do so. He also has tons of more-modern sets and star player cards. I know he'd like to keep his RCs, but I'm pretty sure everything else is up for grabs. What would be the best way for him to sell everything? Looking for some input.

Thanks y'all!

Last edited by Leon; 01-07-2017 at 08:05 AM.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:34 AM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

I don't know about what other signatures may be in the collection, but he should not waste money on authenticating the ones shown unfortunately, imo.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:41 AM
Luke Lyon

I can never figure out Mantle's auto, but the Aaron stood out right away as no good.

Great deal on the supplies though. The bad news is now you have to spend a ton of $ filling those binders with cards
Old 01-07-2017, 12:33 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksfan09 View Post
I don't know about what other signatures may be in the collection, but he should not waste money on authenticating the ones shown unfortunately, imo.
Interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
I can never figure out Mantle's auto, but the Aaron stood out right away as no good.

Great deal on the supplies though. The bad news is now you have to spend a ton of $ filling those binders with cards
The latter is really a bummer. Buying more cards really sucks.

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Old 01-07-2017, 05:29 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Post this over on the Autograph side and get some opinions.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:46 PM
Cha.rles He.nry

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post

Thanks y'all!
Those 3 Mantle photos do not look like Mantle signed them....Unfortunately
Old 01-07-2017, 05:48 PM
Scott Russell

jealous of your supply buy.

I am in the process of buying a live only sports card auction company that has been in business for over 30 years. One of the things we do well that the big auction houses can't is dedicating an entire auction to one collection.

EDIT: on the triple signed piece I did like the Williams, but I've never seen Mickey's first name look like that. We authenticate and/or guarantee all the autographs we sell at auction.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 01-07-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:37 PM
Kyle May

Thanks for the opinions guys. Let me ask this. I'm not an autograph person. However, is there a possibility that Mantle or whichever player signed whichever photo, signed it quickly or inconsistenly at times?

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Old 01-07-2017, 09:29 PM
Chris

From all I've read, Mantle was pretty consistent. My first impression is that this looks a lot like the junk era forgeries. The Mantles are all similar and all look off. Check on the auto side for some expert opinions though.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:49 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

What you are showing are all forgeries despite what "believable" story has been presented to you. You can post on the autograph side if you feel like you need more opinions. Sorry for the bad news
Old 01-08-2017, 06:40 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
What you are showing are all forgeries despite what "believable" story has been presented to you. You can post on the autograph side if you feel like you need more opinions. Sorry for the bad news
Not my autographs. I got the deal of a lifetime on supplies. They're his autos, or forged autos to deal with. Which is unfortunate.

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Old 01-09-2017, 07:47 AM
Brendan Mullen

I knew those Mantle's didn't look good!
Old 01-11-2017, 06:36 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default not even close

hate it when that happens to so many people. They only find out when their stuff is to be sold - often in a time of hardship.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:25 AM

Default kyle

wow! any ruth autos???
Old 01-12-2017, 06:37 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post
wow! any ruth autos???
Nope. And apparently these aren't even real autos, which really sucks for him. Disappointing for me a bit because I was so incredibly intrigued by the binder, but oh well.

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC