NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-18-2016, 07:34 AM
Aaron E.
Aa.ron Eps.tein

Default 3 Ty Cobb Lucky 7's just showed up on EBay.

Just thought I would point out that 3 just showed up on EBay. 2 of them are the PSA 2.5 for 500k OBO and a PSA 3.5 for 1M. What do you guys think they are worth?

Aaron

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2016, 07:41 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Yes, this can be had for the low BIN of only 1M

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-11-T206...0AAOSw2ENW6~WC

Old 03-18-2016, 07:43 AM
Chris

Default Timing

Strike while the iron is hot.
Timing is everything.

I'm sure there are more clichés that fit. I'm wondering what the other ones sold for.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:27 AM
Zach

Let's all chip in and buy one... The Net54 Cobb. Then we could send it on travels like the Buck Herzog card.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:29 AM
Pete Sycks

I always find it kind of funny when someone is selling a 7 figure card while having cards that sell for $25 obo as well

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 03-18-2016, 08:46 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwbc917 View Post
Strike while the iron is hot.
Timing is everything.

I'm sure there are more clichés that fit. I'm wondering what the other ones sold for.
Why an arm and a leg, of.course!
Old 03-18-2016, 08:53 AM
D@le Irv*n

Crap! looks like he doesn't ship to Canada.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:52 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachS View Post
Let's all chip in and buy one... The Net54 Cobb. Then we could send it on travels like the Buck Herzog card.
if i were a partial owner...definitely no scuba diving will be allowed!!!!!
Old 03-18-2016, 10:55 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
if i were a partial owner...definitely no scuba diving will be allowed!!!!!
Didnt take long for it to show up on ebay..i think i posted on march 14 wondering when they will appear on ebay

i think the first flip will make huge profit....its that 2nd auction on the same card that will be interesting ..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 03-18-2016 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:02 AM
Ruben

Should all of us pitch in and buy one as a community?
I'm in for $20
Old 03-18-2016, 11:03 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Didnt take long for it to show up on ebay..i think i posted on march 14 wondering when they will appear on ebay

i think the first flip will make huge profit....its that 2nd auction on the same card that will be interesting ..
The eBay seller is the original dealer who is representing the family.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Horse View Post
Should all of us pitch in and buy one as a community?
I'm in for $20
I'd be good for $20. It could be like the net54's version of the Greenbay Packers.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:28 AM
Michael Br0wne

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
You are an oracle.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:03 PM
J@ohn B.ar#ne.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl9999 View Post
I'd be good for $20. It could be like the net54's version of the Greenbay Packers.
I'm in for $5. come on guys, we're almost there.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:31 PM
Owen R

I'm kind of low on funds. I'll contribute 57 cents, a button and some used chewing gum.

~Owen
Old 03-18-2016, 12:35 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidonCollects View Post
I'm kind of low on funds. I'll contribute 57 cents, a button and some used chewing gum.

~Owen
Nice Owen.
I will throw in a T shirt if that will help the cause? Somehow I think we are still coming up a tad bit short.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:19 PM
Scott

Seems like a misguided dealer. eBay is fraught with problems -- why wouldn't you use a reputable auction house?
Old 03-18-2016, 03:31 PM
Ben North

Anyone else notice how all the Ty Cobb back cards have Cobb looking off to the side like the reprints and when I looked at graded T206 Red Cobbs on eBay they all seemed to be looking straight forward.

via Imgflip GIF Maker

Last edited by bnorth; 03-18-2016 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:36 PM
J@ohn B.ar#ne.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scocs View Post
Seems like a misguided dealer. eBay is fraught with problems -- why wouldn't you use a reputable auction house?
because the cards are counterfeit.... But really, we don't know the owner, cards were slabbed 15 minutes from discovery, PSA doesn't tell us how they authenticate, 3 or 4 are sold on the "inside", and now the sloppy seconds hit the market with a company specializing in pennant stickers. If I had a vintage printing press, this is exactly how I would do it.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:38 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scocs View Post
I assume he's not using an AH so he gets paid the commission. If the consignor wanted to sell these through an auction house he or she would have done so. And still might at some point. Ebay makes sense for the extra exposure, probably to attract a private offer.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:55 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastmode View Post
because the cards are counterfeit.... But really, we don't know the owner, cards were slabbed 15 minutes from discovery, PSA doesn't tell us how they authenticate, 3 or 4 are sold on the "inside", and now the sloppy seconds hit the market with a company specializing in pennant stickers. If I had a vintage printing press, this is exactly how I would do it.
Rick has been a dealer in cards for many many years. He has had some very high grade material. There's no conspiracy here. He's trying to sell direct as anyone would.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-18-2016 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:09 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastmode View Post
Well, it looks like it's time for this board to get an Ignore User function... you, sir, are woefully ignorant.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:12 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Well, it looks like it's time for this board to get an Ignore User function... you, sir, are woefully ignorant.
There is one and it is great!
Old 03-18-2016, 04:17 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Then I guess I am woefully ignorant as well. ;-)
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:24 PM
Scott

Private sales off eBay are still fraught with problems...
Old 03-18-2016, 04:41 PM
Rhett Yeakley

I'm pretty skeptical of the supposed prices these have been bringing. I never in a million years thought of a T206 Cobb/Cobb as being a million dollar card (even if graded an 8 or something crazy). I just don't know if I believe that the nicest really sold for somewhere around 1-2mil like is being reported. It wouldn't be too hard to manipulate prices on these and convince collectors to overpay for the subsequent ones. I just can't imagine them selling for anywhere near what is being reported in an actual auction setting.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 03-18-2016, 04:50 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
I'm pretty skeptical of the supposed prices these have been bringing. I never in a million years thought of a T206 Cobb/Cobb as being a million dollar card (even if graded an 8 or something crazy). I just don't know if I believe that the nicest really sold for somewhere around 1-2mil like is being reported. It wouldn't be too hard to manipulate prices on these and convince collectors to overpay for the subsequent ones. I just can't imagine them selling for anywhere near what is being reported in an actual auction setting.
Agreed. 7 more show up and the price skyrockets? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Not saying it didn't happen, but wouldn't surprise me one bit if there is market manipulation taking place. Nobody in this hobby seems to learn a lesson.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:25 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

At least there's free shipping and $100 in Ebay bucks.........
Old 03-18-2016, 05:26 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Agreed. 7 more show up and the price skyrockets? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Not saying it didn't happen, but wouldn't surprise me one bit if there is market manipulation taking place. Nobody in this hobby seems to learn a lesson.
private sales are a lot different that auctions (shilling not-withstanding)

lets see them go to auction to see what value is ....private sells can obviously be a factor but when you are trying to get 10x the price cause of a private sale thats a lot different then saying a 2000 card is worth 3000 because of private sales even if SMR is 2500 etc..
Old 03-18-2016, 05:48 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
It happened, I am sure of it. You all don't understand the mentality of today's "whales."

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-18-2016 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:08 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
It happened, I am sure of it. You all don't understand the mentality of today's "whales."
Maybe you're right, but I do understand the mentality of greed and price manipulation.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:14 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Peter, I think we understand Whales just fine and know that sometimes people pay crazy prizes for things.

Given all the circumstances, past sales figures, etc. it really just defies logic to me that a card, like Dan said, would multiply in price many times while the known population just increased by 50% with a single find. Where did the 1-2mil price even come from? Did the seller just pull that # out of thin air as there is no precedent for THAT card to get THAT money.

Honestly, it doesn't bother me one bit if someone spent that or not and everyone keeps running around saying things like you just did that they "know" it happened (I guess I need to find richer hobby friends to hang out with ) & I have no real reason to doubt it I guess but I am really having a hard time understanding the "why." I understand better the nicest going for a lot but the other 3 that supposedly sold are the ones that really leave me scratching my head as to why.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:32 PM
Peter Spaeth

There are people now buying cards to whom these sums are not that big a deal. If their ego tells them they want one, for bragging rights, then the money is almost incidental. They aren't sitting there poring over VCP or other evidence of price history. What matters is getting there before someone else does.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-18-2016 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:53 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Peter, I think we understand Whales just fine and know that sometimes people pay crazy prizes for things.

Given all the circumstances, past sales figures, etc. it really just defies logic to me that a card, like Dan said, would multiply in price many times while the known population just increased by 50% with a single find. Where did the 1-2mil price even come from? Did the seller just pull that # out of thin air as there is no precedent for THAT card to get THAT money.

Honestly, it doesn't bother me one bit if someone spent that or not and everyone keeps running around saying things like you just did that they "know" it happened (I guess I need to find richer hobby friends to hang out with ) & I have no real reason to doubt it I guess but I am really having a hard time understanding the "why." I understand better the nicest going for a lot but the other 3 that supposedly sold are the ones that really leave me scratching my head as to why.
A PSA 1 sold for over 150k more than a year ago. The market has completely changed since then on a lot of high end cards, especially the most expensive ones. I would have expected that same PSA 1 to sell for more today, not to mention a 2.5, 3.5, or 4.5.

50% is a pretty big increase in terms of a percentage of a population, but apparently the demand for this card is far greater than the supply.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:56 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Rick has been a dealer in cards for many many years. He has had some very high grade material. There's no conspiracy here. He's trying to sell direct as anyone would.
Plus one big time. I've been doing business with Rick going back to the late 90's...It sounds like a lot of sour grapes....
Old 03-18-2016, 06:57 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Quote:

Don't know if I agree with this. There are a limited number of collectors that are able to purchase these very high dollar cards. Private sale or not, its what someone is willing to pay that is the true issue. Is it really price manipulation when there is only a single seller, I think not. There is only a single source of supply so it is truly and solely a function of supply and demand. It might be price maximization but I don't think it's price manipulation.

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 03-18-2016 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:01 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Not really sure what you mean Dan. Could you expand?
Old 03-18-2016, 07:05 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Quote:
There are people now buying cards to whom these sums are not that big a deal. If their ego tells them they want one, for bragging rights, then the money is almost incidental. They aren't sitting there poring over VCP or other evidence of price history. What matters is getting there before someone else does.
I agree.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:10 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Believe what you guys want, no sour grapes as I really don't care how people spend their money, I'm just trying to understand it all.

A 1 sold a year ago for 150K, so a 4.5 should be worth 1.5-2 million, I guess that makes sense to somebody (not me).

With the way you guys think "whales" operate we should be seeing a lot more $1 million+ cards in the near future, I'm on board with that!

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 03-18-2016 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:46 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Its my guess that now that the family has been paid off in their entirety from the low grade sales the rest is profit. Nothing wrong with them sitting.

It's great press for the next 'most over priced eBay items' thread.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 03-18-2016, 08:06 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
Not really sure what you mean Dan. Could you expand?
Market manipulation in that the 4.5 did not really sell for 1.5 to 2 million dollars. How did that number get out there? Is it real? Now a few of them pop up on ebay for what seem like bargain prices at half a million bucks. I don't have any clue if that's what is happening, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

I mean, how could anyone be surprised at the shenanigans going on in this hobby?

Anyone recall the T210 Joe Jackson on ebay a decade or so back that "sold" for $150,000 only later to be found to be a sham sale just to set a false market price for that card? This type of manipulation has been going on forever.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:21 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Market manipulation in that the 4.5 did not really sell for 1.5 to 2 million dollars. How did that number get out there? Is it real? Now a few of them pop up on ebay for what seem like bargain prices at half a million bucks. I don't have any clue if that's what is happening, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

I mean, how could anyone be surprised at the shenanigans going on in this hobby?

Anyone recall the T210 Joe Jackson on ebay a decade or so back that "sold" for $150,000 only later to be found to be a sham sale just to set a false market price for that card? This type of manipulation has been going on forever.
Holy Crap.

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 03-18-2016 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:53 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

There is sure to be an open auction this year......but then people willl worry about shilling

so direct sales are tough to know if real and same with auctions being truly real..so people will complain either way about the reliability of the sale price...it is what it is..
Old 03-18-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:

Honestly, it doesn't bother me one bit if someone spent that or not and everyone keeps running saying things like you just did that they "know" it happened (I guess I need to find richer hobby friends to hang out with ) & I have no real reason to doubt it I guess but I am really having a hard time understanding the "why." I understand better the nicest going for a lot but the other 3 that supposedly sold are the ones that really leave me scratching my head as to why.
Quote:
I'm a wee bit skeptical... I can see these cards of Mr. Cobb to of played out in both scenarios'. However, bein aware of the scenarios' brings me to a thought, "If Stupid Money is a miss, then why not "WANT" the Highest Graded fir Braggin Rights?"
Honestly, logic seems to lean towards the probable... not the improbable. Unless, The whales are grabbing what they can when then Can!? And if that's the case, then why is the $1M Card Still on ebay...? Maybe The Whales Now Feel the Play? Or Maybe Now They Even Feel Play'd!? oR Even Both!

In Any Case... People with "Stupid Money" Always seem ta do Stupid things with their Money... Thus the "Whale Theory"
And we know that just because a Card is bought fir $150k more taday then 18 months ago, surely doesn't mean that that card will sell fir that price ta Auction tomorrow.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:49 PM

Beautiful cobbs for sale on eBay!
Old 03-18-2016, 10:28 PM
K Farrell

So the PSA 2.5 is listed as BIN for $500,000. What do the experts think it is worth? I was originally thinking +/- $150,000.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:16 PM
Ruben

Yes, there were 7 that were found. As far as i understand these 7 just about blow away the other known samples. I feel if that is the case then these will bring much higher prices then the previous ones. All the 2.5's just about look amazing as far as eye appeal goes. I thought the last sale of a 1.5 was close to $150,000 & the card did not look so hot. I would say then an amazing 2.5 should bring 300k easy
There are a lot of wealthy collectors in the hobby these days, and that is a fact. Otherwise we would not see the steep rise in some specific HOF rookie cards as we have seen over the past year.

Enjoy the hobby and enjoy these finds. These are what dreams are made of
Old 03-19-2016, 06:55 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfireschulte View Post
So the PSA 2.5 is listed as BIN for $500,000. What do the experts think it is worth? I was originally thinking +/- $150,000.
Not an expert but I would think more in the 300k-350k range but who knows....I think the 2.5 with the crease (top here) goes for less than the other one....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-11-T206...oAAOSwAuNW4P2q

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-11-T206...UAAOSwZ8ZW6~Mt

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-11-T206...0AAOSw2ENW6~WC

Old 03-19-2016, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfireschulte View Post
The last PSA 1 sold for 150k, so no a 2.5 is not worth +/- 150k. Also consider before this find, there was one PSA 3 and everything else was 2 or less, so there are only 3 graded higher. I think 300-400k and the 3.5 being second highest grade, 600-800k. If these were auctioned, they would probably go at the low end, especially on the 2.5s, since there are 4 of them. However, since the seller has a monopoly on a very desirable card, he is smart to overprice them a little and take offers to max his profit.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
Don't know if I agree with this. There are a limited number of collectors that are able to purchase these very high dollar cards. Private sale or not, its what someone is willing to pay that is the true issue. Is it really price manipulation when there is only a single seller, I think not. There is only a single source of supply so it is truly and solely a function of supply and demand. It might be price maximization but I don't think it's price manipulation.
Robert, a most observant point in these proceedings. Our hobby has been so immersed in the mentality of "the best way to sell a card and get the most money is through an auction house" that the concept of a private sale is eliminated without thinking.

Emphasis on the last two words.

And how DID our fellow collector, Diamondbacks owner Mr. Ken Kendrick, acquire his breathtaking T-206 Honus Wagner?

The Lucky 7 Ty Cobb find was a legitimate find. Try to remember the Mr. Mint find of the 1952 Topps high numbers and semi-highs in 1986, I believe it was. The far, far, far majority of these he simply sold. Granted, he had not begun his major phone auctions as yet, but he sold them through SCD, shows, and perhaps personal visits to his office. Many in the hobby were skeptical of the find, for they wondered if there were actually more cases of those precious 52 high numbers the owner had not divulged to Alan Rosen. Comments like some of yours---too good to be true.

When collectors "finally" figured out this was indeed a find of a lifetime, and a chance of a lifetime, they were in a major uproar to buy these cards from Mr. Mint. The cards from the case then got gobbled up quickly. The Johnny-come-lately-s were banging their heads against their drywalls, leaving indentations and craters.

Guys, cards from finds are in a class all their own. You know much better than I how serious of a scarcity a T-206 red Cobb with the Ty Cobb Tobacco backside was before the find. The Lucky 7 Cobbs blow the others away, condition-wise, just as the Mr. Mint 1952 Topps high numbers blew away those existing in collections at the time. They were so distinctively pack-fresh MINT. Obviously, in the years to come, they weren't all technically MINT, but they were the source for virtually all of the eventual PSA 8s, 9s, and the 3 10s.

It would seem the high end collectors have read the national news stories, done their research, and decided that kind of item fits their type of exclusive collections. They will work with the smart dealer handling the cards, and pay his price. It cannot be denied, the dealer handling the sale of the Cobbs for the family very much knows this is perhaps HIS once in a lifetime boo coo sales opportunity, and he shan't scotch this opportunity!

He hasn't, has he??????

---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 03-19-2016 at 01:06 PM.