NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Brian J0hns0n

Default Grading service recommendation?

I'm a longtime collector of raw cards and am now considering selling some of my better duplicates. It appears that slabbed cards are fetching better prices than raw. Though I'm not a fan of graded cards, but I will be sending some in to be graded only for the purpose of selling. I don't want to have to join PSA, so SGC is the service I'm leaning toward. Any opinions? Thanks.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Travis W.

just my two cents from personal opinion and observations, I've gathered that PSA seems to be the preferred company for post-war vintage stuff and SGC seems to be much preferred for pre-war. again this is just what I've observed and others may have different opinions...
Old 04-27-2011, 02:13 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default a few things to consider

Since these are for resale I would check the PSA registry if you have any really high grade ones. If you do, and there are PSA registry collectors that need them, then PSA would be the way to go since you will get more money. IF the sets are not widely collected or PSA registry collectors don't need them, then I would go with SGC or BVG. Just my half cent. Also, for full disclosure both SGC and Beckett advertise on this board. I would say the same thing if they didn't but I should at least mention that since you are new to the board, or at least to posting on it. Good luck.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:22 PM
Matt Hall

FYI: You don't need to join PSA just to grade cards. Just print out non-member submission forms. Here is a link:

http://www.psacard.com/submission_ce...onmember.chtml

I also agree with the above poster. PSA for post-war, SGC for pre-war. (with the exception of t206, PSA for that too). PSA will often over grade pre-war cards when compared to sgc; however, PSA is tougher on post-war cards than sgc. SGC seems to be consistent in there grading regardless of year while PSA seems to get tougher the "newer" the issue.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:28 PM
Brian J0hns0n

Sorry, I forgot to mention than most of what I'm selling will be pre-war. Oh, didn't know about not having to join PSA for grading.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:40 PM
Chris

How does SGC or PSA determine the value of a card for there grading fee's? Do they go by book value, auctions, or vcp?
-Thanks
Old 04-27-2011, 02:43 PM
Rob G.

before sending them in, see if you can get your asking prices on the net54 b/s/t. you may save yourself some grading fees and s/h fees. if they don't sell, then send them in. nothing to lose, no listing fees!
Old 04-27-2011, 05:36 PM
Doug

Psa or Sgc doesn't determine the value, you do. Just put whatever you feel it's worth. As for the best company for resale, I would use PSA. They're sale prices are certainly higher and you have a better chance to get a little higher grades. I always just join because of the free submissions ( A voucher for 15 Submissions ($225 value) - Seven business day turnaround (All 15 cards must be submitted at the same time. Maximum value per card allowed is $499). T3's, Autographed Tickets, and Autographed Cards* are not allowed on this voucher). If your cards are worth close to the $499 mark it's a good deal.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:23 PM
Justin

Looking to submit my first card to PSA.

$450 value- $15 for 10 day service and then another $17.50 for return shipping??

How does the declared value work? Are they on the hook for the value you declare? I assume this would keep people from stating a lesser value to get a cheaper rate?

I have a card that looks to be a 4 or 5. In that range, sales on VCP show $455. In the standard catalog it is closer to $600.

Any suggestions on which value I should declare? Does the value declaration have any factor on what grade may come back??

Thanks!
Old 05-03-2011, 11:08 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

The value you declare should not have an effect on the grade unless it is wildly off. (For example, submitting a T206 Plank under $500 service level.) I typically put my declared value at what it cost me to purchase the card, but it is up to you. Basically, the declared value is used if the grader damages or loses your card during grading, that is the value that they will compensate you. So, if they lose your card, and you put $100 down but the card is worth $1000, and you say, I want $1000 back, too bad.

About the shipping costs, return shipping is a big part of the costs to any TPG. That's why it's typically better to submit more cards at one time so that the shipping costs can be spread out over more cards to make it more worthwhile.

Finally, for any TPG, it's always useful to keep track of the monthly specials they have. What I do every month is to typically take a screenshot of each of the monthly specials for PSA, SGC, and Beckett, so I have an idea of what they often do. Then I wait for that special to come around again. (If you need to submit immediately because you need TPG to authenticate an ebay purchase where you're not 100% sure the card is authentic, then you can't wait.) For example, in Mar-Apr 2011, PSA just had a 10 business day special for cards with declared value under $500 at $10/card. So you could've saved $5/card or 33% off their regular fees (not including shipping).
Old 05-04-2011, 08:10 AM
Justin

Gary,
Thanks for the response. The info was very helpful!
Old 05-04-2011, 11:25 AM
JeR@Me

Default Opinion :

SGC for Pre-war
PSA for Post-War

SGC has thicker, better quality holder's, and PSA has thinner holder's that store more efficiently than PSA. PSA's holder is good, but SGC's is better. Also, certain cards look better in certain holder's due to the Red or Green label at the top, so while it may be subjective, it can matter in the presentation/marketing of the card. Just some things to consider... Both grading companies are fine - Don't over Einstein it.