NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-04-2016, 10:20 AM
J3ff Thr0m

Default 520. Done. How did it feel? Tell your story.....

Well it took 2 years and 10 months. 1020 days. To all who have helped along the way, I say thank you. To all with advice, thank you. To all who research and tell me every single day on this site why this set is so unique and special, thank you.

You know who you are.....

Self promotion? Yep..... I rarely post on the main page. I'm due.

But there is a question for all. Likely one that has been asked before a hundred times, but who gets tired of those stories? Not me.

What did it feel like for you to complete that set? Or that subset? Tobacco, Caramel, Pre-Century, 1984 Topps, doesn't matter......

-------------------------------

I sat at 517 as of six months ago.
518 four months ago.
519 for the last two months.

A slow and arduous process for a collector with any reasonable budget. Patience is a virtue but patience was so freaking tough these last several months.

How ironic is it that the very last card I needed was one that is the most graded in the set, the most common, a super print that sells tens of times a week it seems?

Cobb Red.

And now I have one.....or at least, he's being shipped. Go ahead and talk about jinxing.

I was wrapping up work on Friday late, almost everyone gone, an hour drive ahead of me. Pulled out my phone to check my search list on eBay just before leaving and there he was, just posted. I knew he was the one, but did my diligence. Quick check at historical, what does an Old Mill normally sell for? The MK is a backstamp?....love it. I can't see any creases going through the card. Corners look goofy but those never bothered me much. Damn, he looks pretty well centered.....

RING IT UP!

Three pumps of the fists, walk out of my office and did a dance. No one here to notice. Well, except for the cleaning lady. She stared at me for a few seconds with a confused look.

I walked down the hall and gave her a high five.

cobb.jpg

My first purchase was a Jordan batting PSA 3 card I bought through eBay from PWCC on June 16, 2013. Hahahaha. From there it opened the flood gates.

For anyone who wants to ask about the journey or has any questions about why, how, when, or who.....just shoot me a PM and I will answer. Love talking.

Last edited by Thromdog; 04-04-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:27 AM
A.J. Johnson

wow congrats Jeff that's one hell of an accomplishment! Great looking Cobb too. Post some pics of some of some of the other big cards...
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 04-04-2016, 10:36 AM
J3ff Thr0m

Here's a couple big ones.....

IMG_3187.jpg
DemmitOhara.jpg
Old 04-04-2016, 10:54 AM
An$on

I know we already talked over the weekend, Jeff, but congrats once more. That red Cobb is great.

I had a similarly frustrating end waiting for reasonable prices on the last few remaining cards outside of my Cobbs. My last official card was JF Kiernan and after a few months of looking for one, I finally bit the bullet and overpaid a little for it simply out of getting sick of looking at the lone blank space in my binder.

The word bullet is ironic in this instance since it has two small holes through it that could be BB gun pellets

But yes, I can sympathize on looking for those last few cards. Congratulations again!
T207 (200/200)
E90-1 (118/121)
E90-3 (20/20)
E91A/B/C (85/99)
E93 (17/30)
E95 (12/25)
C59-61 (149/248)
N28/N29 (83/100)
W545 (158/200)
1901-02 Ogden Tabs (1,327/1,560)
1933-41 Goudey (265/478)
1934-36 Diamond Stars (53/108)
1939-41 Play Ball (368/473)

Complete: E47, E49, E50, E75, E76, E229, K4, N88, N91, R136, T29, T30, T38, T51, T53, T68, T73, T77, T118, T218, T220, T225, W512, W513, W542, W552, W565

Founder:
www.prewarcards.com
Old 04-04-2016, 10:56 AM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Congratulations Jeff, that's a great-looking 2!

The Cobb red background was my first T206, and the O'Hara StL was the one that got me to 520. It was just a great sense of accomplishment when I got the O'Hara back in 2013, ~10 years after I got the Cobb. Now I just dream of getting a Plank

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 04-04-2016, 12:11 PM
Eric
Eric

Default Wow!

I am a T206 newbie. My first was purchased when I was a primarily football collector. Traded for a PSA 2.5 Ty Cobb Red Portrait about 2 years ago and picked up a few HOF in the last year. Now the last couple weeks I have really gotten the bug and bought about 40 raw commons. Now I am going to wait for them all to come in and just take some time and look them over. I think I am going to go for raw for everything except HOF and try to get one of each of the backs as much as possible. Then get some reprints to occupy the binder space where my graded cards would be. Looking forward to it. Will be fun to see the binder pages fill up. Have had a lot of luck here with picking up some singles.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:31 PM
Zach

I started about 10 years ago and the red Cobb was one of my first T206s. I ended up giving up on 520 and now I just focus on portraits. Luckily I had most of the big name portraits from when I first started. Unfortunately the only one I don't have yet is a green Cobb... wish I would have knocked that out 10 years ago.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:04 PM
S Gross

Who's this Jeff guy ???????????

CONGRATS --- nice way to finish 520 off with a Red Cobb !!!!!!

If the stamp was GROSS instead of ROSS, I'd want my card back ....... super Old Mill, and most import, imo , great registration.

I won't be the one to say ---- Now what ??? --- It never really ends

My story:

Four years ago I won a ~400 card lot. The condition and backs were all over the place. No "big" HOF and no SLs, BUT it did have an O'Hara PB, so I knew 520 was going to have to happen ....... Sold the higher grade ones (ex/ex+) and the rarer backs (even the Polar Bears). This allowed me to fill in the needed HOFs and SLs.

Then got into buying lots, upgrading, trading, reselling, that ultimately got me to 520. Concentrating only on Pied. and SC allowed me to put together a very consistent set. Got to the point I felt I could upgrade some cards, but not all of them to keep overall consistency.

Thought of selling, thought out loud to a friend about selling, and that friend had a buyer. So I sold, got my price, and decided to take a break.

That break lasted about 2 weeks when I won a 200+ lot of good cards. Decided then for another run at it. This time a bit lower grade and some back variety .....................BUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .............. This time take it slow and steady................ That lasted less than a month, and two larger lots later, I'm at 477 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really don't have a problem ........... I can stop anytime I want

Fun stuff, Scott
Old 04-04-2016, 04:10 PM
Doug Doremus

Default Congratulations, Jeff!

I already knew you were at 520 as I noticed it posted in one of your threads.
But I didn't know you had just made it--Way to go!--

Myself, I stopped at 518 [don't want to pay more than a thousand for any card in my collection] but have been diversifying and upgrading for the past few years.

It took me close to ten years to complete it, and I much more enjoyed the chase than the accomplishment. My first T206 might have been my favorite Brooklyn Dodger, a Nap Rucker portrait. I picked up my first dozen or so while starting a hall-of-gamer collection with my son, going to card shows in the early '90's. Those shows were fun and a good time for us together.

Got back into it after I discovered ebay, starting the Monster quest about 2006, randomly getting a couple hundred at $10-$12 a card.
Finally joined Net54 in 2009, started to learn about the set, and started "climbing the mountain" in a more organized way.
I've probably upgraded/diversified 450 cards over the past couple of years, and I continue to actively enjoy it.

One of the best parts, of course, is transacting with collectors like you, getting to know good people.
Vive Net 54!
Old 04-04-2016, 04:57 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Jeff,

That's awesome! Congrat's, I'm envious. I think we traded dupes on a SL sometime last year (or maybe even before that!), so I am glad I helped you get 1/520th of your quest. I'm still a long way behind you, but I'll get there someday. Enjoy them, such a cool set!

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 04-04-2016, 05:05 PM
J3ff Thr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjs View Post
Jeff,

That's awesome! Congrat's, I'm envious. I think we traded dupes on a SL sometime last year (or maybe even before that!), so I am glad I helped you get 1/520th of your quest. I'm still a long way behind you, but I'll get there someday. Enjoy them, such a cool set!
Lipe for Coles. Back in September of 2014. Hahaha...... Thank you sir!

Last edited by Thromdog; 04-04-2016 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:25 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thromdog View Post
Lipe for Coles. Back in September of 2014. Hahaha...... Thank you sir!
I thought it was for my old Coles, but I couldn't remember what I got on my end! Like De Niro says in Analyze This, "Your Good."

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 04-04-2016, 05:32 PM
Steve Birmingham

Congrats on finishing the 520! And in such a short time too.

I started in 1978, and I'm .....errrrr..........around halfway there.

Steve B
Old 04-04-2016, 08:40 PM
Jason Wells

Congrats on 520. I saw that Cobb right after it sold on the completed listings. Its a nice card. I am in the market for a Old Mill Cobb and am happy this one went to a Board Member for completion.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:08 PM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Quote:
Well it took 2 years and 10 months. 1020 days. To all who have helped along the way, I say thank you. To all with advice, thank you. To all who research and tell me every single day on this site why this set is so unique and special, thank you.

But there is a question for all. Likely one that has been asked before a hundred times, but who gets tired of those stories? Not me.

What did it feel like for you to complete that set? Or that subset? Tobacco, Caramel, Pre-Century, 1984 Topps, doesn't matter......

518 four months ago.

A slow and arduous process for a collector with any reasonable budget. Patience is a virtue but patience was so freaking tough these last several months.

How ironic is it that the very last card I needed was one that is the most graded in the set, the most common, a super print that sells tens of times a week it seems?

Cobb Red.

And now I have one.....or at least, he's being shipped. Go ahead and talk about jinxing.

I was wrapping up work on Friday late, almost everyone gone, an hour drive ahead of me. Pulled out my phone to check my search list on eBay just before leaving and there he was, just posted. I knew he was the one, but did my diligence. Quick check at historical, what does an Old Mill normally sell for? The MK is a backstamp?....love it. I can't see any creases going through the card. Corners look goofy but those never bothered me much. Damn, he looks pretty well centered.....

RING IT UP!

Three pumps of the fists, walk out of my office and did a dance. No one here to notice. Well, except for the cleaning lady. She stared at me for a few seconds with a confused look.

Attachment 226671

My first purchase was a Jordan batting PSA 3 card I bought through eBay from PWCC on June 16, 2013. Hahahaha. From there it opened the flood gates.

For anyone who wants to ask about the journey or has any questions about why, how, when, or who.....just shoot me a PM and I will answer. Love talking.
Congrats Jeff,

you're one of the mans!!! (off this site top 3!) I know I told you already but super jealous of that Cobby you got
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 04-04-2016, 09:08 PM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Quote:

518 four months ago.

Cobb Red.

RING IT UP!

Attachment 226671

Congrats Jeff,

you're one of the mans!!! (off this site top 3!) I know I told you already but super jealous of that Cobby you got
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 04-05-2016, 04:31 AM
Mike

Congratulations!

I am at dyslexic 520...502. I am stuck there. I am waiting for a flea market shoebox find to finish it off.....
Old 04-05-2016, 06:43 AM
Sean Costello

Hey Jeff, there's a Magie in REA, just in case you want to go for 521.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:16 AM
Paul

I got to 521 in 2007 (including Magie) and then sold about 400 of them off to be able to afford Lionel Carter's Plank. That was extremely exciting. Figured I would do what you did and just put them all back together behind Mr. Plank, but at the same time -- literally the same month -- eBay started becoming awash with signed T206 cards from The Great Pittsburgh Find. I already had a couple of Marquards, Livingstone and Snodgrass batting. But, within a few months I was able to add a dozen or two more. That put a serious crimp in my collecting non-signed T206s for a second run up the mountain, not just financially but interest as well. Once you hold a handful of signed T206 cards, the unsigned ones become way less interesting.

Nevertheless, I now sit at about 325 unsigned T206s and continue to pick up a few here and there without much fanfare. Perhaps this time I will make it back to 520? Who knows? But, I will tell you this -- the climb is much more thrilling than the view from the top.

Enjoy your set! I'd be curious to see where you turn your attention to next. Given how quickly you got there, I would guess the thrill of the hunt was more special to you and that you will now miss it.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 04-05-2016 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:26 AM
J3ff Thr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
Enjoy your set! I'd be curious to see where you turn your attention to next. Given how quickly you got there, I would guess the thrill of the hunt was more special to you and that you will now miss it.
Thank you all for the stories and encouragement.

For what's next? Upgrades. To me that is fun too and I've been doing it for the last year as I wait.

Interested in some back runs too. As well as oversized cards. Also have my Delong set in progress (17).

Oh, and there is also below......I've posted it a few times already. Will never get all 281 but have a goal of 200, and then will go from there.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:33 AM
Jon L

Congratulations again, Jeff! It's been great fun sharing in the journey. One which I'm sure will continue. Your patience on the Cobb was incredible! I know exactly what you mean about seeing the perfect card for your set though.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:53 AM
Paul

Love the scan of those EPDG. I find large compilation images of T206 cards, where the individual cards become somewhat smaller can look really awesome. I love this presentation of my signed T206 collection.

@SignedT206
Old 04-05-2016, 06:31 PM
Rob G.

congrats Jeff!

Nice Cobbs too. I never noticed how he has such a baby face in the green background, looks older in the red one.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:04 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
Love the scan of those EPDG. I find large compilation images of T206 cards, where the individual cards become somewhat smaller can look really awesome. I love this presentation of my signed T206 collection.

Seeing those cards never gets old. How did you make that image? I'm looking to so something similar with my Topps project.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:11 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
How did you make that image? I'm looking to do something similar with my Topps project.
Once you have scans of all of your cards start building a "full sheet" of them by pasting them one by one next to each other in MS Paint (or any simple art program). As you put them in, reduce the size uniformly. I think the signed T206s are about 1/3 scale. Then fill in the empty space between them with a paint bucket of black. Voila...!

Edited to add: I want to say that the EPDG sheet posted above is so remarkable because of the layout of fronts in one row, followed by a row of backs, then fronts, then backs, etc. I have always gotten that wrong and put each card side by side with it's own back. That breaks up the color and makes for a much less appealing presentation.

@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 04-06-2016 at 09:13 AM.