NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-13-2023, 09:53 AM
R0b Sm!th

Default Ruth’s Galore at Auction

I do not remember seeing so many scarce Ruth cards in current and upcoming auctions. Heritage has 3 different M101-4/5 rookies alone and there are at least 5 different E135 Collins McCarthy/Boston Store Ruths between them and Memory Lane.

I do not think that any of these auctions fly below the radar, so I do not think that I am outing anything, so here are a couple of links to the Memory Lane and Heritage upcoming offerings.

IF you have the budget, it is a good time to be a Ruth collector. And, no, none of these consignments are mine.

https://secure.viewer.zmags.com/publication/b8b99e2f

https://sports.ha.com/c/search-resul...earch-A-071316

Last edited by robertsmithnocure; 07-14-2023 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-13-2023, 10:06 AM
pete ullman

i'd wager most set new records.
Old 07-13-2023, 10:50 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsmithnocure View Post
I do not remember seeing so many scarce Ruth cards in current and upcoming auctions. Heritage has 3 different M101-4/5 rookies alone and there are at least 5 different E135 Collins McCarthy/Boston Store Ruths between them and Memory Lane.

I do not think that any of these auctions fly below the radar, so I do not think that I am outing anything, so here are a couple of links to the Memory Lane and Heritage upcoming offerings.

IF you have the budget, it is a good time to be a Ruth collector. And, no, none of these consignments are mine.

https://secure.viewer.zmags.com/publication/b8b99e2f

https://sports.ha.com/c/search-resul...earch-A-071316
That auction will be lights out. Great stuff!
Old 07-13-2023, 11:33 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
That auction will be lights out. Great stuff!
+1 Agreed and wait to you see the high lights from memory lane over 20+ Rare and High Quality Ruth Cards also for their August Auction I believe. (sorry did not see the LINK about)

To much great stuff and to close together. Going to miss out on most or all because of no time in between to get the resources for even 1 item

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph

Last edited by mrreality68; 07-13-2023 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-13-2023, 11:48 AM

All 8 cards were consigned by me. Shortly I will be a gamillionaire.

Brian (edited to indicate that I actually consigned all 8 Ruth cards, not just 5. I absentmindedly forgot about consigning those other 3)

Last edited by brianp-beme; 07-13-2023 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-13-2023, 12:37 PM
James M.

Ruth and Mantle are the two players where so many examples of their cards, and autographs are available, but they still rake in the cash due to their massive popularity.

I don't think this is a stretch by any means, but Mantle IS the Ruth of the post war era. As American as apple pie. We will eventually approach the point in time, where no one buying Mantle cards/memorabilia/autos will have been alive to see him play, and he will still sell like crazy.

That being said, I hope to own a singular Ruth one day. His Sanella issue is still decently priced, but I would love something from the 1920's of his. Maybe one day, after I'm able to afford a home!

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 07-13-2023, 12:49 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
Ruth and Mantle are the two players where so many examples of their cards, and autographs are available, but they still rake in the cash due to their massive popularity.

I don't think this is a stretch by any means, but Mantle IS the Ruth of the post war era. As American as apple pie. We will eventually approach the point in time, where no one buying Mantle cards/memorabilia/autos will have been alive to see him play, and he will still sell like crazy.

That being said, I hope to own a singular Ruth one day. His Sanella issue is still decently priced, but I would love something from the 1920's of his. Maybe one day, after I'm able to afford a home!
Agree they are in a class of their own. Maybe Jackie as a cultural icon comes close. Have you considered a Kashin Ruth, I believe they are still relatively affordable.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-13-2023 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-13-2023, 02:46 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Looks like a few big collectors think the market is topping.
Old 07-13-2023, 02:56 PM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
+1 - Cash out at the what they believe is the top.
Old 07-13-2023, 03:22 PM
Jeremy W.

There was a time when hardly any Ruths got listed in the BST. Now, it's not that rare.
Old 07-13-2023, 03:41 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Or… someone is nearing retirement or looking to pay for kids education or looking for a house for themselves or their children I could think of tons of reasons why people would sell.
Old 07-13-2023, 04:14 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Agree they are in a class of their own. Maybe Jackie as a cultural icon comes close. Have you considered a Kashin Ruth, I believe they are still relatively affordable.
A Kashin Ruth is actually one of the cards I've considered. Love his pose on that issue. I'm not sure what an A or 1 would go for though. I'd wager a touch above 1.5K?

Donscards.
Old 07-13-2023, 04:38 PM
Josh

I’ve been sitting back waiting on this and have a few targets I’m eagerly awaiting. Fingers crossed.
Old 07-13-2023, 04:41 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstottlemire1 View Post
I’ve been sitting back waiting on this and have a few targets I’m eagerly awaiting. Fingers crossed.
Smart Josh very smart.
Sadly some of us were not sitting and waiting and (got some great stuff) but will probably miss out on the mother load. Lol

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 07-13-2023, 06:58 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
A Kashin Ruth is actually one of the cards I've considered. Love his pose on that issue. I'm not sure what an A or 1 would go for though. I'd wager a touch above 1.5K?
This one if I recall was about 4K earlier this year so I would think you're on target for an A or 1.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruthkashin.jpg (133.0 KB, 397 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-14-2023, 10:29 AM
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Smart Josh very smart.
Sadly some of us were not sitting and waiting and (got some great stuff) but will probably miss out on the mother load. Lol
Let me know if anything you’ll be pursuing. I never want to drive things up on fellow collectors. I have 3-4 cards I’m
considering only 1-2 possible however.
Old 07-14-2023, 12:49 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:

Steve, I am glad to report that I saw the Mick play several times and am still upright and sniffing the air.
One of my fondest memories is going to a Yanks game with my Dad at the old Yankee stadium when Mickey hit 2 round trippers, one from each side of the plate.
Old 07-14-2023, 01:05 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Steve, I am glad to report that I saw the Mick play several times and am still upright and sniffing the air.
One of my fondest memories is going to a Yanks game with my Dad at the old Yankee stadium when Mickey hit 2 round trippers, one from each side of the plate.
John,

My name is actually James, my username is Seven, in honor of the Mick, but I certainly have been called worse than Steve

My father got to see Mantle play, he inspired the love of collecting that I have, especially of the Mick (Though his cards are long gone, oh what could've been?)

Please know, I meant no disrespect when talking about the generation of men that were fortunate enough to see him play. I wish I could've called myself lucky enough to see him play, or at least have met him at a show, as the Mick died, shortly after my first birthday.

Donscards.
Old 07-14-2023, 01:15 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

James, sorry for the name mixup. As a post note to my earlier message, my Dad saw Ruth and Gehrig play many times and regaled my with their exploits. Best, John
Old 07-14-2023, 02:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
James, sorry for the name mixup. As a post note to my earlier message, my Dad saw Ruth and Gehrig play many times and regaled my with their exploits. Best, John
My Dad was a little younger, his guy was DiMaggio. I did get to see Mantle towards the end of his career against the Senators. Even as a kid, you could sense he had an aura about him.

Old 07-14-2023, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your posts John, and amazing that both you and your dad got to see some of the greatest players of all time in person.

Unfortunately, I grew up in a very rural area of Arkansas in the 50s and 60s. When your family makes a living picking cotton or working on a farm there isn't much of an opportunity to go to an actual game. Of course, we cheered for the Cardinals during that period and the only time we got to see a game was on television.

I would like to add that we also cheered for the Yankees and Mantle was always the card kids were looking to obtain. However, trading a Musial for a Mantle was almost sacraligous. I still have my Mantles that I traded for or cut off the back of cereal boxes as a kid.

How would like to see game 7 of the 1964 series between the Yankees and Cardinals! Bob Gibson at his finest and Mantle blasting a 3 run homer! Gibson finished the series with a 1.56 ERA and won the MVP. However, no matter how great you were during that period of time, Mantle could light you up!
Old 07-14-2023, 04:13 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
Thanks for your posts John, and amazing that both you and your dad got to see some of the greatest players of all time in person.

Unfortunately, I grew up in a very rural area of Arkansas in the 50s and 60s. When your family makes a living picking cotton or working on a farm there isn't much of an opportunity to go to an actual game. Of course, we cheered for the Cardinals during that period and the only time we got to see a game was on television.

I would like to add that we also cheered for the Yankees and Mantle was always the card kids were looking to obtain. However, trading a Musial for a Mantle was almost sacraligous. I still have my Mantles that I traded for or cut off the back of cereal boxes as a kid.

How would like to see game 7 of the 1964 series between the Yankees and Cardinals! Bob Gibson at his finest and Mantle blasting a 3 run homer! Gibson finished the series with a 1.56 ERA and won the MVP. However, no matter how great you were during that period of time, Mantle could light you up!
We take so much for granted nowadays, especially in terms of having access to the literal world at our fingertips.

I've spoken about this with the older generations of my family. Going to day/night double headers, admission and concessions being cheap, you truly got your money's worth back then. Nowadays taking a family to a game is borderline impossible, considering the amount of money it costs. Hell, the movies are getting too expensive!

In many ways, 1964 was Mantle's final hurrah, as he was never the same after that season. Father time, and injuries caught up to him too quickly, plus the booze didn't help. The same could be said about The Babe, with his 1932 season, really being the last true "Ruthian" year.

Donscards.
Old 07-15-2023, 12:41 PM
Jamie

I was watching the Collins Ruth PSA 3 and it did not move much during extended bidding. It ended up at 144k after BP. The estimate was 200k. It was not centered well so maybe that kept it getting to the high end. Either way 17 PSA with only 1 graded higher and 10 SGC means someone got a really rare Ruth.