NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-29-2016, 07:41 AM
chris

Default Help: Norman Paulson Post Card of Frank Robinson

Can anyone provide any info on this card? Is there a checklist of players or teams that were produced? Approximate time period? Value? Ect...

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160829_093657.jpg (79.4 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160829_093641.jpg (85.2 KB, 235 views)
Old 08-29-2016, 08:56 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

There was a numbered series of RPPC's that were produced and distributed by Jim Elder which utilized Paulson's negatives. They have the same standard Kodak back, with the only other identification being the stamped number on the reverse. I cannot recall if Robinson was represented in the set, or if so, whether this image was used, but I can check when I return home this evening.

Aside from those, Paulson produced and distributed such postcards from his own negatives in much the same fashion as George Brace did for years, though much less prolifically. Most of his subjects were minor leaguers, and he would market the photos primarily to the players and their families. He did take photos off major leaguers as well though, primarily at spring training, but I am not certain what his method of distribution was other than through the mail.

As far as time frame, he started young in the 1930's working under George Burke, and branched out on his own by the 1950's. Without having looked into what addresses he may have used over the years, I would say anything bearing his stamp would have been produced anywhere from the 1950's through the 1980's(?) as all of his work done under Burke remained in that archive. I'll have to look up his bio info I compiled when I return home, but if I recall correctly, he passed in the mid-1990's.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:17 AM
Dave Grob

Default Frank Robinson

The photo is from Spring Training of 1956. This is consistent with the production location. The fact that the address includes a zip code indicates it was produced well after the photo was taken.

Dave Grob

Last edited by Dave Grob; 08-29-2016 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Additional information.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:09 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Boy, I'd hate to be on the mound and see that guy waiting in the on-deck circle!

Great postcard, I always liked that style Reds cap.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:48 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Follow-up: Paulson passed in 2004, likely with a better memory than I have currently I found the article below which has him at his Holiday, Florida address in December 1988 and again in January 1992, and some other correspondence that had him in St. Petersburg, Florida in 1971. Frank Robinson was not represented in the postcard set that I mentioned earlier, though Jackie Robinson was, and Earl Robinson was in there twice. There are at least two, possibly three other numbered series of postcards that have Paulson's stamp with either an Odessa, Dunedin, or Bradenton Florida address on the same standard Kodak backed RPPC stock, and he had a business under the name "Baseball Photo Service" that operated out of a Landis, North Carolina (1971 and 1980) and the St Petersburg, Florida address, as well as another business name of "Paulson Sports Advertising" out of the Landis address. I have also seen a Bristol, Tennessee address for him ca. 1983. All in addition to his original home base of Chicago, Illinois. Finally, the 1992 price list attached mentions him having a shot of Frank available.

Whew! So based on all of that, I would guesstimate him to be in Holiday, Florida from some time in the mid-1980's to at least 1992. Hope that helps!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paulson article_1.jpg (78.4 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg Paulson article_2.jpg (77.6 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg Price List.jpg (81.2 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg OldList001_'BaseballPhotoService'.jpg (73.5 KB, 173 views)

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 08-29-2016 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:01 PM
chris

Lance you are a gentleman and a scholar. I very much appreciate your providing this info.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:08 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Any time. This one just happened to be in my wheelhouse of photographer research.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:08 PM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Amazing info Lance! Love it!
Old 12-07-2023, 07:58 AM

Norman was my father and I lived and travelled with him most of the years he was shooting in his return to photography, 80-89…. He was active as a photographer and many other baseball roles throughout his life.

He was born in 1916, indeed worked under George Burke in Chicago before the war, then joined the marines ‘42-44. In the early 50’s he was the general manager of several AAA teams and was PR man as well for several clubs in Iowa, as well as some long runs on radio as a “dj” with his own show in Iowa, and the grand ole opry. He also did extensive work for Topps and Leaf cards, writing many of their factoids, history, and stats for cards backs.

He later went back to what he loved, photography. He shot on large Graflex cameras and developed all his own film (usually in our hotel bathrooms which he converted to temporary darkrooms).

We spent our lives on the road almost constantly, often returning to Florida for spring training season. There was never a fixed address as we didn’t have a house! Me and my 2 sisters were born in the st Pete area, and Florida was usually the center of operations so hence the addresses you find there. Dad ultimately settled in Holiday Fla as he got too old to travel, where he passed at 88 years old in 2004.

His massive collection was lost, some through theft or swindle, as he got older. He eventually suffered from Alzheimer’s and dementia and could not remember where his 100’ of thousands of cards, negatives, and memorabilia was (storage facilities in Florida most likely).

He was a friend to many of the old greats and as a child I was nearly always in the houses of old players, great and small, from Roy Campanella to Sparky Anderson etc. He was also co-author of a book with Bob Feller, and published several works of statistics and statistical analysis of the game, years before Billy Bean

Last edited by BJP; 12-07-2023 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-07-2023, 07:58 AM

Clives = clubs
Old 12-07-2023, 09:31 AM
Bill Roberts

BJP, thank you for that wonderful back story and for adding context to this topic. What an interesting life you had with your dad.