NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-11-2006, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Default Seeking quotes for SCD article -- pack grading

Posted By: don fluckinger

Hi, all.

This is a little off topic because it probably focuses more on 1940s-1970s, but it's not the shiny stuff, either, as some of you guys like to put it (I love that descriptor).

I am working on a piece for SCD, actually 2 pieces, on pack grading. GAI does it, PSA started recently.

I'm seeking collector perspective in response to this post...for publication to quote in the article. So if you hit reply, "the mic is on."

[Note, I will never quote anyone's post (or back channel email) in the magazine unless I specifically say so as I do above...or if I don't, I will ask permission first. I take this matter very seriously.]

I have a couple questions in mind for the Forum 54 Community:

1. Does a pack that's graded make you feel more confident about authenticity and the "guaranteed unsearched" element of a buy...or not?

2. What does a high grade mean to you? That the cards inside are likely in better condition, or that aesthetically it's more pleasing for your pack collection (or set/master set collection/etc), or something else?

3. If you are a pack collector, I'd love to hear your answer to this one: The hobby mentality is based on ripping packs open as soon as possible. Why do people like unopened packs? Where do you find the willpower to not open a pack?

Thanks and I look forward to the responses.

--don

Old 12-11-2006, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

1. Does a pack that's graded make you feel more confident about authenticity and the "guaranteed unsearched" element of a buy...or not?

NO

3. If you are a pack collector, I'd love to hear your answer to this one: The hobby mentality is based on ripping packs open as soon as possible. Why do people like unopened packs? Where do you find the willpower to not open a pack?

I've got wax packs from over 20 years ago that I purchased. I didn't save them for any particular reason. Funny story... I found a stack of 1984 Topps cards in my sons room and I asked him where he got the cards. He said he got them out of the garage. I assumed that he pulled them from a 5K count box that I have filled with those cards. A few days later I found a few more stacks of 1984 Topps cards and I asked my son where he got those and he gave me the same answer, this time he said that the gum was terrible. It never dawned on me that he pulled the cards from my unopened wax boxes. I was going to ask him to stop pulling the cards from the 5K count box because they were in numerical order. Instead I just kind of shook my head and laughed and asked him to stop opening the wax packs.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Evanov

1. Grading adds a certain amount of confidence, but I have had one GAI graded pack [1955 Bowman BB] that I opened which had been tampered with...all cards were "replacement" commons which had obvious wear and creasing.

2. Pack grading only refers to the integrity of the pack itself and has no bearing on the cards inside. I have opened lowly graded packs and gotten beautiful mint cards and vice versa.

3. Unopened packs have a lot of nostalgia value for me... good feeling from my childhood as I recall my days of buying packs at the corner "candy store." Plus there's the "might" factor....my 1962 Topps BB pack "might" contain a mint Mickey Mantle card. Once the pack is opened, that's gone.

Frank

Old 12-12-2006, 06:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: don

Thanks guys