NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-02-2004, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Default The new Bill Buckner is here

Posted By: Gary B.

and his name is Cody Ransom. This man might have just f*cked it up for the Giants for the season. If that's what it turns out to be, the mantle for the most hated man in baseball will pass to Cody. What an a**hole...

Old 10-02-2004, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris

hey as a cubs fan, I can appreciate the finger pointing, but gotta blame the pitcher hermanson, herges , and the entire Giants mid-set up bullpen. That should be the new buckner!

Old 10-02-2004, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

Blame Steve Sone, the Cubs do!!

Old 10-02-2004, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: A Fan

Goober, Let me guess, you're a Huge fan. One game doesn't make a season. Hermanson gave up four runs and issued 3 walks. I bet if you think back to the season you can think back to a few games that were lost because somene Merkled.

There's still Sunday and you better hope Houston loses.

Old 10-02-2004, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe P.

A day like all days.

Filled with those events and vintage words that illuminate our vintage times.

Is it just me, or is vintage becoming now time?

Old 10-02-2004, 08:17 PM
Administrator

You know how it is (I hope), following a team all season, having them stay and the race, be SO close and then just fall apart in 1/2 inning, blowing the whole thing. I'm just pissed and need to blame someone. I know the relief pitching blew it big time, but that error was just crushing at a time they couldn't afford it. Now the Astros have to lose and the Giant have to win for them just to tie. They might not have made it even had they won, and they might still make it, but the odds are stacked heavily against them now. This just sucks.

Old 10-02-2004, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Sorry Gary.

Tell your sad tale to the New York Giants fans that had their team stolen from them in 1957.

While your at it, tell it to the best fans in any sports that ever lived, The Brooklyn Dodgers fans.
They also had their team stolen from them by some upstarts in 1957.

This is coming from a New York Yankees fan.

The "Bum" Fans were tough and didn't whine.
They taught me how to deal with the Yanks landing in last place in the late '60's.
I use to worship the ground coming to "Bum" Fans.
Now I miss those ugly bastards, they were the greatest.

If you're not happy with the Jints, send them back to NYC.

I'm sure that there are some old Jint fans that wouldn't mind getting them back.
Having three major league teams in NYC, is nothing new.

Old 10-02-2004, 09:18 PM
Administrator

It's just baseball. Everyone's entitled to love or hate whatever team they want. Just expressing my own views, and no one has to agree. I respect if people don't like the teams I like and I hope they can respect if I don't like the teams they like. It's not personal for me at all, and we're all very passionate about what we like and don't like.

I know this is perhaps a very unpopular view, but I like the Giants because of Barry Bonds. I'm a huge fan of his and want him to win a World Series, that's the only reason I care. I've always been a frustrated Red Sox fan since I was a kid, and I've always disliked the Yankees since they've won so many world series already and always make the playoffs and spend more money than God on their players, but if you're a fan, you're entitled and I respect you. I wish I was a fan of a team that always made the playoffs, but I've rarely been that lucky.

My father grew up in Brooklyn and was a huge Brooklyn Dodgers fan before they moved to L.A.

Old 10-02-2004, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: A Fan

Don't take the responses too seriously Goober. I bet a Cub's or Red Sox fan might have a pretty good arguement about being bummed out. The Giants still have a chance and with a little luck you still might be able to see Barry CHOKE in the play-offs and WS. Ha ha ha - just joking around.

Looking at the time of the post it seems you wrote it after Finley hit the shot heard round the ravine. A little venting always helps, now be like every other baseball fan - just wait till tomorrow.

Old 10-03-2004, 12:41 AM
Administrator

I wasn't very clear with it.

You ask many questions on the board, and I think that's fine.
As you have found out, everyone on this board have been generous and enjoyed sharing their research and homework with you.
That's what makes this board cook.

Then The Goob decides to contribute, and this is what he gives the board.

"The new Bill Buckner is here
October 2 2004 at 7:53 PM
Gary B. (Login soulgoober)

and his name is Cody Ransom. This man might have just f*cked it up for the Giants for the season. If that's what it turns out to be, the mantle for the most hated man in baseball will pass to Cody. What an a**hole..."
Now Goob, let's be fair.
Would you call that a good trade off, or exchange for the many questions you've asked this forum?

BTW, last year this Yank fan was rooting for a Red Sox -- Cub WS. .... like everything else in life, they had to get by the Yanks first and earn it. ... it didn't happen, but I was rooting.

Being that your father was a Brooklyn fan, he'll be the perfect guy to tell you that the Brooklyn fans didn't whine. .... Their shout was always:
"Wait Till Next Year!" and next year arrived in 1955 -- a date that will live in infamy.

Tell your dad that they were the Greatest Fans ever.

Old 10-03-2004, 08:57 AM
Administrator

well, my father's no longer with us so i can't rightly ask him.

sorry if i upset you - i don't know what the big thing is, but that's ok - no point going on over a silly post i made, it's just not worth it - you act like i've been taxing the board somehow by asking questions that as far as i'm concerned, usually bring up intelligent, enlightening and fun conversations. i thought i was making some friends and adding to the board and sharing my interest in vintage cards like the rest.

so i was upset and made an angry post against the giants for folding. so i'm whining - sorry if you have a problem with that. i'm not perfect and i do get emotional about the team i've been following all year. if you or others can get over your team choking at the last second with just a shrug and we'll get em next year attitude, then maybe you're a better man than me. feel free to ignore my post if you don't like it, it's not my usual kind of post and it's really not a serious issue. i'm surprised my post lasted at all and wasn't removed. i just don't get what the big deal is.

peace always,
gary

Old 10-03-2004, 01:41 PM
Administrator

About your father, my condolence.
My father, a NY Giants -- McGraw and Luque fan, passed away in 1984.
He's very much alive in my mind, and I miss him very much.
Prior to 1991, I spent 60 years in NYC.
In NYC anything is possible.
God only knows if your father and I ever crossed paths.
One thing I do know about your father, and this is something that only a person that was around prior to 1957 would understand and relate to.
Anyone after 1957 just wouldn't have anything to compare it to.

The Brooklyn Dodgers fans were in a class and level all to themselves.

No one in any sports were a close second.
I didn't realize it then -- I was too envolved despising them.
Now I miss them.
They were the Greatest.
---------------------------
The Goob:
1. "sorry if i upset you"
Come on Gary, this is all about Vintage, and what I thought was a post that was more suitable for a San Francico Giants forum -- just an opinion -- no big deal -- no one is upset here.

Now BUSH upsets me, and I'm sure that we both can agree that it isn't a suitable Vintage topic.

The Goob:
2. "you act like i've been taxing the board somehow by asking questions"
Gary, let me try this a again.
I ask vintage questions, you ask vintage questions, everyone ask vintage questions.
EVERYONE trys to give an answer or an opinion to the vintage question.
Some will kid.
Some will jab.
Some will just try to have a little fun when the opportunity presents itself.
Opinions may vary from one another.
That doesn't mean that the person is upset.
It just means that they have a different take.

Gary,
Let's Honor your father and my father.

Let's Send The Bums Back To Brooklyn!

The Jints Back To Manhattan!

Think about it.
The Bums In Brooklyn.
The Jints in Manhattan.
The Yanks in Da Bronx.
Da Mets in Queens.

Talk about an explosive Big Apple.

Joe P.