NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-06-2016, 12:26 PM

Default Croft card container?

Hi,

I am a new member of this forum and I am trying to date a Croft and Allan cocoa tin that I have had for a while. I wonder if anyone has seen this particular tin and if it was the type that contained baseball cards?

I have heard of card collectors acquiring the glass containers as ones that historically contained cards but have not heard anything about the tins. I'm also interested in whether the tins came before the glass containers, if anyone knows.

Any information about this is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jon

Last edited by theuncommonartifact; 03-06-2016 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Pictures
Old 03-06-2016, 12:36 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by theuncommonartifact View Post
Hi,

I am a new member of this forum and I am trying to date a Croft and Allan cocoa tin that I have had for a while. I wonder if anyone has seen this particular tin and if it was the type that contained baseball cards?

I have heard of card collectors acquiring the glass containers as ones that historically contained cards but have not heard anything about the tins. I'm also interested in whether the tins came before the glass containers, if anyone knows.

Any information about this is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jon

There seems to be some issue with your photobucket scans as you are correctly adding them to the forum. Interesting subject, btw,
Old 03-06-2016, 12:54 PM

Um, OK... Here's another attempt at the photos of the Croft and Allen Tin... Fingers crossed!

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Croft Allen Cocoa 3.jpg (74.3 KB, 379 views)
File Type: jpg Croft Allen Cocoa 2.jpg (70.3 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg Croft Allen Cocoa 1.jpg (69.4 KB, 381 views)
Old 03-06-2016, 01:07 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Never seen that one (that is a good thing).. Looks early 1900s?
Old 03-06-2016, 02:36 PM
Keith O'Leary

Scott Mosley is the one to ask on this.

I've never seen it either but if anyone has, Scott has, or will know all about it. His userid is phlflyer1

Keith

Last edited by vwtdi; 03-06-2016 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Added Scott's userid
Old 03-06-2016, 07:04 PM

Thanks vwtdi! I will ask Scott about the tin.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:06 PM
Scott M.

Keith,

Thanks for emailing me about this thread as you know I love all things related to Croft & Allen.

Jon,

That is a very nice tin. I've seen Croft & Allen tins in a few different patterns and color schemes but I'd say that yours is one of the earlier examples that I've seen.

While I can't give you an exact date on it, I'd be fairly confident in saying it dates from a range of around 1895-1910. Here is a quick synopsis of the history of the company.

Croft & Allen were formed in 1884 after Croft & Wilbur decided to split their existing business.

Here is a portion of an 1890 advertisement from the Confectioners Journal showing the design of the breakfast cocoa tins at the time.

With the patenting of the phrase "Swiss Milk" for Cocoa and Chocolate products in 1901, Croft & Allen became the first company to package their Cocoa in glass containers while still also offering tin packaging.

Here is an ad from 1906 as well as a photo of the Croft & Allen factory from the same year. Your tins design is very close, if not the same, as the packaging found in the factory store window.

Croft & Allen as a company ran into some difficulties in the mid 1920s and made a final attempt at reorganizing in the spring of 1929 before the market crash in the fall finished them off.

Thanks for sharing your tin with us!

If you are interested in seeing some other Croft & Allen items, here are a couple of other threads that you might be interested in.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ighlight=croft

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ighlight=croft

Regards,

Scott
Old 03-06-2016, 08:20 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Mmmmm......breakfast cocoa.

Interesting thread.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:41 AM
Steven H.

Really cool piece.

Thanks for the added info Scott.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pre-1950 Cuban Cards: Focus on Billiken, Macionales, & Aguilitas
Old 03-08-2016, 11:24 AM

Hey, thanks Scott for this information. I love the advertising approach used for the Croft's Swiss Milk Cocoa: "stimulating with no injurious after effects". Odd, but consider me sold!

You have validated my suspicion that this tin dates from the late 1800s. I thought this was the case based upon the pinstriping style used. I am a collector of antique electrical fans and I have found fans of that era to feature similar pinstriping styles, but I was never really sure.

Any ideas about value for something like this? Comparables are tough to come by... Also, do you know if the cards were distributed with items this early?

Thanks again.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:41 PM
Scott M.

Hi Jon,

Croft & Allen did have some items that were likely distributed with their candy packaging such as the non sports card below.

I do not believe, however, that any cards were distributed within their cocoa tins or glass jars.

My theory on the E92 cards with Croft & Allen and Crofts Cocoa backs is that they were likely handed out with the purchase of some product(s) at their local retail stores.

The Crofts Cocoa back is actually an advertisement for the Montague and Company retail distribution chain of stores and my thought is that the cards were made available at those stores.

As far as a rough value on the tin, I'd say somewhere in the $20-50 range is a fair estimate.

Crofts Cocoa glass jars (without the label) are pretty common on eBay in the $10-20 range If they have the label, however, they usually go in the $100-300 range depending on condition.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:28 AM

Hey Scott, thank you so much for the info.

I find this all so interesting. I appreciate everyone taking the time to look and volunteer their knowledge. This is a nice forum and everyone I have interacted with has been kind, despite the tangential relationship of this thread to baseball cards. Now I know where to go when I come across some baseball cards. Thanks again!

Tags
croft