NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-28-2012, 08:08 AM
Mark Fox

Default Recommendations and thoughts for purchasing a safe for my collection

As my collection is growing, and pretty quickly now since getting back into the hobby about 6 months ago, I’ve started to look into purchasing a safe to store the valuable portions of my collection in. I thought I would ask for any opinions and advise as I research different sizes, fire ratings, options, etc... I’m thinking of starting off with a smaller size that will accommodate my growing collection for the next couple years, and if needed upgrade in size after 2-3 years. I’m also only considering American made safes.

Thoughts, suggestions, recommendations…

Last edited by markf31; 09-28-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:02 AM
nels0n aud.et

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf31 View Post
As my collection is growing, and pretty quickly now since getting back into the hobby about 6 months ago, I’ve started to look into purchasing a safe to store the valuable portions of my collection in. I thought I would ask for any opinions and advise as I research different sizes, fire ratings, options, etc... I’m thinking of starting off with a smaller size that will accommodate my growing collection for the next couple years, and if needed upgrade in size after 2-3 years. I’m also only considering American made safes.

Thoughts, suggestions, recommendations…
i owned many Safe during my life. Do not made the same mistake i made.
Buy at the beggining a big safe anti thieft, fire a real safe not a toy like you can buy at wal mart like the Sentry brand lol

i paid a couple thousand for my safe but it is extremely secure for thieft, fire, explosion etc...
Old 09-28-2012, 10:04 AM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

I agree with Nelson. I bought a "starter" safe, and now regret it. Wish I'd just bought what I wanted in the first place.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:22 AM
pete ullman

watch this...long video...it's worth it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltK-b...e_gdata_player
Old 09-28-2012, 10:54 AM
nels0n aud.et

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan-budman View Post
I agree with Nelson. I bought a "starter" safe, and now regret it. Wish I'd just bought what I wanted in the first place.
i Bought two safe before the one i have now.

A lot of time a safe look verry secure but look carefuly and do buisiness with a specialized shop...

wow a lot of beautifull safe in this video !

Anyway the best way to secure your collection is :
1- a best anti-thieft anti-fire safe
2- alarm system
3- specialized insurance

With these 3 thing you are secure

Last edited by g_vezina_c55; 09-28-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:32 PM
Steven

Just a couple things to keep in mind:
1) House fires typically burn at 2000+ degree when fully engulfed and possibly higher depending on material used
2) Water damage from the fire being extinguished is a real possibility - we were pretty happy if we only had 2" of water in the basement on a fully engulfed house fire
3) Think about the location you'd keep the safe as houses collapse based on location of the structural supports - ie corners work better than in rooms located centrally to the home
4) If any of the above 3 things happen, the bb cards are probably toast no matter what safe you purchase; guns can be dried out and reused unlike cards
5) Safe + insurance seems to the overall best route IMO - Good luck
Old 09-28-2012, 02:33 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Agree with whats been said, go big its just worth it. I just upgraded mine and Im so happy but it was a pain, wish I had just spent the money the first go round. My collection is also fully insured and this should not be overlooked because of the safe.

My first safe was a small sentry walmart version, after two years I upgraded to this sentry gun safe from Academy-

I just upgrade again a few months ago to this large safe and I could not be happier, 60 x 40 x 28 purchased from
http://sportsmansteelsafes.com/?gcli...FUhjTAod0wfcyQ

Old 09-28-2012, 02:45 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Fire safes are one of the items I sell and of all of them I prefer Fire King. You can pm or email me at eric.sharp@formsandsupply.com if you want me to send literature for your decision. The big box store imports will create a nice pile of molten plastic on the inside in event of a fire. Just like everything else in life, the things that work well aren't cheap.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:51 PM
Ed Cavagnaro

Besides having a nice solid firesafe I also store my best cards in a second small waterproof/fireproof safe inside the larger safe for added protection. It takes up precious space but is well worth the extra protection.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:56 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Insure to value, safe deposit box for the irreplaceable cards, fuggedaboutit.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-28-2012, 08:47 PM
Scott Silvers

You generally get what you pay for. For something like cards, I would invest in a safe that offers fire protection and anti-theft protection. As a rule of thumb, if it is small/light enough to be carried away then it's really kind of worthless. Also, there are different levels of fire protection. I would definitely keep the super high end stuff in a safety deposit box, especially if you are ever out of town.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:38 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I used to have two safes, both around 200#. When the 1994 Northridge earthquake hit it wrecked my condominium and I had to move out. I emptied the safes and left them in my unit with the other furniture. My place was at the very back of complex, a good half-block from the road, and up a couple of flights of stairs from the street with no elevator. Getting the safes into the place was a major PITA. While the property was condemned, some a-holes broke into all the units and they stole the empty safes. I can only imagine how nice it would have been to see their faces after going to all the work of getting them out of the place and cracking them open to find nothing inside.

The reason I don't like safes is that anyone can stick a gun in my face or that of my family and make us open it for them. I'd rather just have the irreplaceable cards at the bank and not worry about a robbery.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...