NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-14-2019, 11:15 AM
Scott S

Default I caught a home run ball from JD Martinez! Now what??

At the Red Sox / Rangers game at Fenway last night, I caught (OK, picked up after it smashed off the hand of the guy next to me) a home run ball from JD Martinez.

Nothing extraordinary about the homer - didn't win the game, not a milestone number or anything, just #13 of the season and #208 of his career. Exciting as it was, the ball went into my pocket and now is sitting on my bureau.

Cool as it was to get it, I wasn't sure what exactly to do with it now. It's my first home run ball (I've got a foul ball and ground rule double before), so I want to keep it. But I also don't know much about this area of memorabilia, so I wasn't sure if there was something else I should do or should've done.

Could I have had it somehow authenticated at the game by the Red Sox? Do I write an inscription on it describing what it is? If I ever tried to sell it (not even knowing what demand there is for something like this), is it just based on my word?

Not exactly my area of expertise, so figured I would throw it out to anyone here who might know more. And since every thread is better with a picture, here's a pic of the ball...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jd homer ball 061319.jpg (67.6 KB, 573 views)

Last edited by scooter729; 06-14-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:34 AM
John E.

You're unfortunately too late now, but I believe most parks have an on-site authentication service where, when you provide them with where you were sitting, and the ball, they'll put one of those hologram sticker thingies on it that's somehow databased to what it is.

Don't quote me on that, not exactly sure how it works or if it's at all parks/at all times.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:16 PM

If you can find a replay of the home run and find yourself on video retrieving the ball, that would be pretty iron clad. I assume they filmed the home run.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:23 PM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
If you can find a replay of the home run and find yourself on video retrieving the ball, that would be pretty iron clad. I assume they filmed the home run.
It was shown briefly on TV before the shot cut back to Martinez circling the bases - I did a screen grab which is attached here. I quickly had done this for my friends who were with me, and they are the three in the red boxes to the left. I'm the one on the right with a dark red jacket - can't really see my face in this shot, though I'm holding the ball up. I'll see if I can find an HD version and freeze frame it a bit better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jd homer 061319.jpg (64.8 KB, 528 views)

Last edited by scooter729; 06-14-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:57 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

If you plan to keep it, then you know its legit. Put it in a nice display with the stub and a label explaining what it is.

If you plan to sell it, its next to impossible to prove it is what you say it is.Even with pics, someone still has to take your word thats the exact ball and not pulling a switch.

Congrats on the catch.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:57 PM

Personally, I'd give it to the kid nearest to me at the game.

Rob M
Old 06-14-2019, 02:11 PM
Scott S

Thanks all - I do plan to keep it and have no intention of selling, and probably will jot a note on the ball (or on a sticky note) explaining what it is. But just wanted to make sure since this isn't my specialty, that there isn't something else I should do since it just happened.

And my 7 year old is pretty excited about it as well, so that's the kid I'm sharing the ball with!
Old 06-16-2019, 10:44 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramram View Post
Personally, I'd give it to the kid nearest to me at the game.

Rob M
you're very nice. I would kick the ball away from the kid, spill drinks and do whatever was fair to get the ball. In fact I did just that in 1980. Sitting behind home plate a foul ball off Lenny Dykstra's bat, thrown By Fernando Valenzuela went high in the air. It hit my had and scooted below me a few seats over where 2 kids were sitting. I got down on the ground and did a swipe kick using my foot as a scoop. Spilled two drinks and got the ball. Poor kids. They have to learn as I did many many games as a young kid never getting a ball.

I bought everyone drinks of course and sitting behind me was Don Newcombe. I had him sign the ball. All is fair in love and baseballs in the stands.

Nice job getting the HR Ball!!!!! I would get JD to sign it at some point and keep it with the rest of your stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0183.jpg (69.3 KB, 354 views)
Old 06-14-2019, 01:21 PM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj7489 View Post
You're unfortunately too late now, but I believe most parks have an on-site authentication service where, when you provide them with where you were sitting, and the ball, they'll put one of those hologram sticker thingies on it that's somehow databased to what it is.

Don't quote me on that, not exactly sure how it works or if it's at all parks/at all times.
Good thought - I did just Google and they do have on-site authenticators at every MLB game, but it's only for on-field items. If a ball leaves the field such as a homer, they do not authenticate, unless it is a milestone item (big HR, etc). In those cases, they will come find you, not you finding them. So I guess that's out.