NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-09-2008, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Default PSA - Why not slab miscut cards?!?

Posted By: Cobby33

What part of "please slab regardless of grade/qualifier" do they not understand. Checking online, several cards were "not holdered," because they did not meet the "minimum size requirement."

Obviously, PSA slabs cards that are trimmed. (These were not, they were just miscut). How do I get these people to slab them?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

I don't know why they didn't. I have seen PSA cards in holders with MC qualifiers when they were miscut. I guess you need to start using SGC.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Perhaps...

Old 02-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Addie_Joss

I like SGC because they don't use the qualifiers. I have a 1935 Diamond Star Jimmiie Foxx graded an 8 by PSA but with an OC qualifier. The qualifier is such bull**** because all Diamond Stars are off center. I've never seen one centered so why even bother putting the qualifier? Some uptight dudes aren't going to want to touch my card just because of the OC when they're buying OC Diamond Stars anyway.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

Qualifiers tend to have a stigma attached to them.  They seem to sale at a grade or even less than their no qualifier counterparts.

I often thought of purchasing the qualifiers and submitting to SGC.. could be a gold mine.. ?

Old 02-09-2008, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Addie_Joss

Once I receive the Foxx card in the mail I'm thinking of having it cross over to an SGC grade. Even if it got a 7 instead of an 8, I'll still probably get more for it than if it were an 8 with the OC qualifier.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: keyway

Recently got some cards back from SGC that they deemed were trimmed. Also not in holders. The least they could do is put them in Authentic holders. I have no idea why they don't.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

I think you have to tell them to holder the cards Authentic if deemed to be altered, they don't simply do that by default because many collectors would prefer it raw.. vs Authentic.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

With SGC you need to write "AUTHENTIC ACCEPTABLE" or words to that effect in BIG letters on the invoice if you want the card slabbed.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: keyway

Thanks, I will remember that next time. Frank

Old 02-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ricky Y

I had asked about this on another thread..if you get the hard copy invoice directly from SGC (at least the last few I have had), it give you an option check box at the top to "Authentic" grade if it's trimmed, miscut etc but still authentic. The online invoice however, doesnot have that so I guess you have to remember to write that in. I hope they can add that option on their online invoices. That'll be nice.

Ricky Y

Old 02-09-2008, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan U

PSA will not slab some more common type cards as "authentic". It seems to be somewhat hit or miss even if you mark that you want all your cards slabbed.

As for crossing over "OC" cards to SGC, they will come back much as lower grades due their minimum standards for each grade.

-Alan

Old 02-09-2008, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Donaldson

I emailed SGC and asked them if they would slab my blank backed, hand cut T206. They said no.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Cobby

Sometimes PSA or any company for that matter will not holder miscuts because they do not fit inside the holder. Some of the time a MC will be of the diagonal cut (what i call them) Why they do not holder a card that did not meet min size has also baffled me too. They are not saying it is trimmed as min size is a factory defect.

As for buying up PSA qualified cards and then crossing them thinking that will create value I do not agree with as the card still remains the same. OC or whatever and I am sure that if 2 of the same card in an SGC holder are for sale the one with better appeal will almost certaintly fetch a better price.

Steve

Old 02-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Steve- That does make sense- but they do slab rather high-end tobacco cards that have been trimmed?

Old 02-09-2008, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

lol they have been known too.

Steve

Old 02-10-2008, 04:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Paradis

I was really disappointed when I received these cards back from SGC. I can't understand why both PSA and SGC would think that someone would not at least want their cards slabbed "Auth" with a qualifier (i.e. resurfaced, colored, etc.). I should have noted on the form that I would accept "Auth" grades. However, what would make them think you would rather not have them slabbed??

Dan

Old 02-10-2008, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Good question.
Maybe they figure people would want to unload them raw- and let the poor bastard who buys them find out that they have been altered.