NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-13-2003, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Default How To Collect The Monster (T-206 Set)

Posted By: Anonymous 

I've been putting together the T-206 set in dribs and drabs since the summer of 1997 when I was able to purchase a Bender Portrait and Matthewson White Cap from a guy who's grandfather had died and gave him a cigar box full of T-206 cards. Unfortunately, he had an idea as to their value, but still I made out well.

Today, I have about 30 T-206 cards, graded PSA 3 - 6 condition. And another 200 T-206 cards in PR - VG/EX condition. My current strategy is collecting the HOF'ers graded in PSA 5 or better condition, and collecting the commons as cheap as I can get them in whatever condition they're available. The only problem is, PSA 5 HOF'ers are getting pricey, and the commons are starting to look a little shaggy up against the HOF'ers. An added annoyance is that the commons, even at $5 a pop, can add up as well.

I'm looking for different strategies to collect the set. Can you tell me what strategies have worked? Which ones are frought with regret? Etc.

Thanks

Old 12-13-2003, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

But there's no law againt it.

I assume you've gotten yourself several reliable sourses for T206s. They're not giving you bargains? Other strategies: don't buy new clothes, eat a lot of lentil soup, never takes cabs or replace your TV, don't get the house painted, or replace old furniture.
If you have to buy a car, get an old Japanese one--they tend to last forever.

It's hard to collect a nice set and enjoy--oh yes, wait till all movies come out on video--that'll save you about 8 bucks per film (the Oscars won't mean anything, but--so you'll find out whether you agree next year). Forget going to football or hockey or basketball games. Baseball you can still do. But invest in a cheap pair of binoculars, and sit in the bleachers. If you are cultured, forget the opera and plays--have a friend tell you about them.

It's hard to put together a nice set and
enjoy...the finer things of life....(?)

Old 12-13-2003, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

It doesn't get finer than attending baseball games and collecting vintage cards. Except playing with the opposite sex

Jay

Old 12-13-2003, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

I feel the most impressive looking sets are the ones where all the cards are about the the same condition.

I would pick a condition for all the cards and collect the entire set in that condition. Like you said, those lower grade ones look a little worse when placed next to the nicer cards.

Plus the money you save buying HoFers in a slightly less condition will help pay for some better grade commons.

Old 12-13-2003, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

With the T202 set, I just take them as I find them--none less than ex, I HOPE. With the '53 Bowmans (which I no longer have), I had it mostly collected in the same way, and my son complained: some of your '53 Bowmans have stains on the back, Mom. Replace them!

The previous poster is absolutely right; cards that are of lesser condition tend to stand out like sore thumbs (which as I remember, you already noticed).

I should say that aside from the T202s, I do not collect sets anymore. Trying to get all the 19th century HOFers--that sort of stuff.

But when I put the '56 Topps together, I made the mistake of choosing the '50s set to collect by noting which set I had the most HOFers from to begin with, so by the time I finished (which I did), those HOFers stuck out as inferior cards, becausde I became more and more condition conscious as I went along.

Old 12-13-2003, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

...but I'm very particular about my vg's
Following is a good example of why you buy the card, not the holder - this is one of the sharpest, most beautiful Matty black caps I've ever seen.

Old 12-13-2003, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Baxter

One strateragy you could use, is to save money and purchase the T206 commons in lots when they come up for auction on places like eBay. The trick will be to get the most or best condition lot for your money. In my opinion, condition usually tends to be the biggest hurdle when your dealing with lots as FAIR to GOOD seems to be the most common grade for the groupings I've come across. Could be a good way to grab commons cheaper over all. Good luck putting this monster together!

Old 12-13-2003, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Wow, I assume there is something wrong with the back or a hidden wrinkle, but the picture and register itself is stunning. I can live with cards like that. Give me a good picture, the corners be dammed.

Jay

Old 12-14-2003, 05:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

the problem is those two vertical wrinkles coming down from the top border - the one on the left barely breaks the paper.

Cy and Eric will recognize this as one of about 5 black cap Matty's from that huge "find" that Cy let us partake of - this is the only card I kept from my share. That particular find dwarfed the one out in Florida that everyone was so proud of.

The interesting thing about that find is that it was obvious that some of the duplicates had been printed at almost exactly the same time - for instance, there were two "McGraw pointing" cards that were missing the same amount of one of the letters. Also, all were either Piedmonts or Old Mills.

Old 12-14-2003, 06:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John(z28jd)

Or you can do what i do,buy them off ebay/dealers until you need just 75 but make sure to get the more ecpensive ones out of the way,within reason...then once you reach this point,shift all of your interest into old judge cards

Old 12-14-2003, 06:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John(z28jd)

ecpensive is a combo of expensive and eclectic which defines both old cards and the people who collect them

Old 12-15-2003, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Lots are a great way to start, but if you want some results, start team collecting and work your way up from there.

Old 12-25-2003, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Harry

I would recommend that you try and put together evenly-matched cards. If your collection ranges from PR to EX, then the nicer cards often get overlooked.